News: 2018 Other Teams Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by msilverstein47, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    What kind of change do people even want? What do people think the president of USSF does? Most of the candidates were a joke. USSF isn't run on social media. It's an administrative and governing body that occasionally helps to put some teams on a field. People would be surprised by how small the organization is. MLS and SUM were accepted because there were no vehicles for all of what it has done at that time. The "status quo" has seen the game grow tremendously in this country. I don't get following clueless talking heads who want to blow everything up and ignoring financials and international standing while being clueless of where the game is at the local and state level.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  2. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Of the group of challengers, I always thought that Martino had the best handle on reality. He also accepted a real financial sacrifice to run his campaign. I read between the lines from Holden's statement that Martino should make another run in 4 years. Maybe run for Cordiero's vacant VP slot now.

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Martino married into a little money.

4. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Well each candidate had a platform and spoke on what they would change/do. Subjects ranging from, pay to play. To pay equality between men and women. Pro Rel. Increased scouting.

No denying that. But that was then, this is now.

Isnt the status quo, what picked Bruce Arenas as a manager for the failed world cup?

Dont get mad at clueless talking heads. Inform them. All some people know is were not in the world cup and our youth teams havnt done as well lately. Not to mention the hiatus from the Olympics.

Were talking about why we have to settle for Bedoya's and Suzi's while the Jonathan Gonzales' of the world arent good enough for us.

Really just playing devils advocate. But the way you rebuddled as if you dont see a problem. Forgive me if I interpreted that wrong.

Dizi repped this.
  5. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thoughts on Cordeiro? The "old that advances?"

6. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I never got the candidature of Hope Solo, how could she seriously hope she would win? Too young, zero experience off the field, and her troubled past - beat he nephew and sent him to the hospital, arrested a couple of time - really?

benni... repped this.
  7. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Perfect resume for one of Sepp's henchmen (women). Character counts in FIFA ,but hardly at all compared to willingness to pay or be paid

Dizi and benni... repped this.
  8. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm, zero experience and a troubled past? Certainly nobody with those qualities has become president of anything in the U.S. recently...

Also, the word you're looking for is "candidacy".

NicktheGreek, asitis, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    A lot of those things are items the president would have nothing to do with. It's largely a governing and administrative organization. The US is a large country. USSF is doing its best to coordinate and manage all of the state and regional associations and hopefully keep them on the same page. The President is expected to make business decisions and represent the country to CONCACAF and FIFA. Gulati did a damn good job at that.
    It's still growing and improving all around at every level. How long have all of the different developmental academies been around? Every MLS team is going to have a USL team soon. Not only are more players being developed, but more opportunities are being created for those athletes in the US as well as abroad.
    Shit happens. Things go in cycles. I have expectations for the team, but I never took qualifying for granted. The last cycle was a massive disappointment long before Arenas was brought back, but I don't put that entirely at the feet of the USSF. The talent was there and deeper than ever. The coaches failed. I didn't believe Klinsmann deserved the extension he got. I'm not going to defend anything about Klinsmann or the disaster he was as a technical director. I never wanted him anywhere near US soccer. We had already seen what he helped do to Toronto and everything was out about what happened with Germany. The failure of the U23 teams was more disappointing to me than missing the World Cup. Klinsmann is ultimately responsible for both. (I will also never forgive Porter.) Among casual soccer followers, I still believe Klinsmann receives too much credit for the good and not enough blame for the bad. I am willing to admit his initial hiring was somewhat ambitious though.

Likewise, I'm not going to defend any women's team coach since DiCioccio.
    The clueless talking heads I was referring to were some of the candidates for the position. Most haven't done shit outside of maybe a few youth camps. It was obvious they didn't know shit about the local and state federations and what is actually happening at any level of development nor anything on the business/administrative side. After the election, members were making a point of reminding them to get involved and stay around US soccer instead of simply popping up for an election.
    In large part this goes back to USSF being much smaller than many assume it is. There are going to be misses. That happens. I don't think it's a great indictment one way or the other of USSF or a sign that USSF is not improving. This is a World Cup year and there is a huge gap on the men's side right now. Hopefully things will move along more now that the election is over. There still might not be a new coach until after the World Cup.
    Obviously the organization can be better. My point was that some want change for the sake of change happening without knowing or understanding what USSF is or what the role of president does. How does pushing to destroy the most stable soccer league the US has ever had help the development of players? Some of the candidates had no understanding of the finances of USSF and what is possible with the resources in a country of this size.

10. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    AH! Thanks for letting me know, I have automatically translated from the Italian "candidatura"

griffin1108 and Winoman repped this.
  11. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    By the way - everybody - if I make mistakes in terms of words, spelling etc. please let me know, I will not get offended or anything similar. It's not that I just got off the boat, but this is still not my first language.

Kenobi, TowsonDad, Dizi and 4 others repped this.
  12. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No problem. My Italian is limited to "Cuanta costa," or something approximating that.

13. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I just got back BeIn after several months without, to my pleasant surprise they are now showing the highlights of Turkish League games, which is one of my favorite leagues around the world. Still no games, but the highlights are better than nothing. I have to say that I always knew it was a good league, but I would have never thought up to that point; technique, speed, an incredible pool of talents, rocking crowds, one of the best leagues in Europe, perhaps second only to the big four, probably even with the Liga Nos of Portugal but better than any others like Holland etc.

Dizi repped this.
  14. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough, your English is far better than any attempt I could make at posting in Italian.

15. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    AHAHAHAH! It's actually "quanto costa" but you got pretty close!

16. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    #191 NicktheGreek, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    They had some full matches but they may have been only during the week the Italian Leagues were on break. I think it depends on how you connect, Cox cable had more than the Bein pay fer streaming service, but now I can watch on Cox contour here in Fl I don't pay when away from home.
    I concur the level of play is very good and while I'm somewhat genetically inclined to dislike the boyz from the Bosporus they are very entertaining. I'd like to know more about some of the totally hate driven rivalries so I know who is who in the zoo when I watch.

17. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bobby Boswell retired

DCUSA, Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had momentary hope he might want to coach a porous defense or take over some asst coach's tactical and practice-running duties in DC, but then saw he was moving back to Houston; he does me no good there.

Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  19. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA

Dizi and Winoman repped this.
  20. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    You seem to have pretty strong opinions on this. Clearly the pres of USSF plays more than just an administrative role in the success (or failure) of soccer in this country.

My main gripe with your point is the stress on money and electing somebody who can understand and care for the financial side of things. I have been led to believe that US Soccer is doing great financially. Making money does not seem to be a problem for this nation.

I'm surprised how dismissive you (and plenty others) have been toward the candidates involved. To each their own...

I think Martino and Wynalda each were willing to implement ideas which would have addressed areas of concern for me without hurting the finances of the federation.

Winoman, Hedbal and NicktheGreek repped this.
  21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    CREAM. Stuff is expensive. This is a large country and people have a lot of ambitious ideas. Those cost money. Travel and coaching cost a lot. Nobody wants pay to play, but it's unreasonable to expect it to disappear because of a windfall of money that came from Copa America being hosted in the US. Likewise, the organization will be missing the World Cup bump this year. The women's team is just recently making a somewhat reliable profit and USSF is helping to offset some NWSL expenses. Promotion/relegation would kill the most stable soccer league the US has known. I want someone who understands some soccer needs and has legitimate ideas of where money can be allocated for a better ROI. I want someone who can pick someone they trust to run the soccer side of the business. I don't need the president to select coaches.
    Look at Wynalda's recent tweets and you will get a sample of why I am dismissive of him.

Martino was better packaged as reasonable, but I don't think he had a great understanding of certain items.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  22. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I remember his 1-0 goal to Chelsea (they had just won EPL) at FedEx, then Chelsea won 2-1 but it was a great game; and a great header from Boswell.

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  23. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    There's quite a bit in here so I'll split your quotes

USSF reportedly has a $150M surplus (which rose from ~$100M the previous year). The size/scale of this country make addressing competing concerns difficult...not impossible

I don't anybody to handle those funds perfectly. But there is money available and "investing" it wisely will not somehow lead to less money in the future. The opposite is true.

You could be right. Still, not all the candidates were ardent Pro/Rel supporters. Pointless now but the proof was readily available prior to Saturdays vote.

If you'd like to have a substantive discussion about relegation I'm up for it. My trust in MLS has eroded dramatically over the past few years and I'm more confident than ever that survival of professional soccer is not at stake.

I have a feeling we'll have to agree to disagree on this point. If we're assuming that none of the candidates were properly qualified with adequate business AND soccer experience...I'd rather elect a soccer mind with enough sense to hire business and finance gurus for the departments that require business acumen (not vice versa).

Either approach may lead to disaster. But I don't think we've tried the latter recently.

I see nothing particularly polarizing in his last few tweets. Enlighten me...unless it's just a matter of personal taste in demeanor/decorum and what you expect from someone seeking an executive position.

I had mixed feelings about Wynalda before I spent time to listen to his campaign platform. Came away surprised by his management credentials and impressed by some of his plans (and the reasoning behind them).

Not ashamed to admit that he was my top choice for the presidency.

I liked Martino's commitment to transparency within USSF. He also addressed my #1 concern in such an elegant fashion that I hope Cardeiro steals his plan or allows him to lead the project as VP or GM of Mens Soccer.

I'm talking about over/under

24. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Winoman, DecadeOfDCU26 and UnitedBorn repped this.
  25. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Wakemed? What, the St. Louis Soccer Park was booked?

Winoman repped this.