News: 2018 Other Teams Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by msilverstein47, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murrdcu

Murrdcu Member

DC United
    United States
    Apr 25, 2017
  2. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can cross Rubio Rubin off your potential forward wishlist - he's off to Club Tijuana.

3. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Great. He was not on my list. I really see him as a winger/inside forward.

4. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    new National training center...

Sporting Kansas City coach Peter Vermes directed a group of 35 people down a passageway Monday, serving as the unofficial tour guide for a $75 million structure. On his left, he pointed toward a cryotherapy room, designed to accelerate muscle recovery. On his right, there was a hypobaric chamber, a room with adjustable altitude. After a step backward, he explained the benefits of another space with motion analysis.

And on it went.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls/sporting-kc/article198537254.html#storylink=cpy

Eastern Bear and Hedbal repped this.
  6. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Not sure I buy into the cryotherapy business, but I'm not all that educated on it. Either way, KC and Atlanta are setting the bar high for DCU's facility in Loudoun.

fatbastard repped this.
  7. Murrdcu

Murrdcu Member

DC United
    United States
    Apr 25, 2017
    Did LAG sign Ibbra yet or is he gonna watch all the ManU games from the stands the rest of this season?

8. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Hes not fullly recovered from his ACL injury.

9. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    The rumor is that Ibrahimovic won't be a DP.

If the most expensive player in the league isn't a DP, the DP rule silliness should just be tossed.

Winoman repped this.
  10. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But if he's not a DP, wouldn't that by definition make him not the most expensive player in the league? No amount of TAM would handle buying him down from a Giovinco salary level

Winoman repped this.
  11. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    If he's the most expensive player in the league and he's not a DP then clearly SOME amount of TAM would handle buying him down.

12. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't use TAM on a player who makes over $1.5 million, so I'm not sure how Zlatan can be the most expensive player in the league while not being a DP.

13. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, my point is that I believe it's impossible to accumulate enough TAM to buy down the most expensive salary in the league. It would require millions. And also to pr0ner's point yes you can't even use TAM for that match by rule.

Winoman repped this.
  14. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    How much would you pay for a 38 year old with a very, very, bum knee?

15. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about a 38 year old with a very, very nice bum? ;)

asitis and John L repped this.
  16. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I'll admit that I stopped paying attention to MLS salary rules when they introduced TAM. Before that, I would routinely get incensed when rules that were enforced for one team would be casually broken or re-written on the fly for another. With the introduction of TAM, MLS effectively codified that they were going to do whatever the hell they wanted, whenever the hell they wanted, which of course had been the unofficial practice since 1996. That was the point I just decided that trying to find logic in an illogical world was a waste of energy.

Anyway, the whole system is awful. It's designed to be opaque. If the most expensive player in the league isn't even a DP, I guess I'll just continue to throw my hands up in the air, sigh, and walk away.

Winoman repped this.
  17. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Rules are for the little people darlin'.

18. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where are you hearing rumors that Zlatan would be the most expensive player in the league and NOT be a DP, anyway? I've seen stuff that he would not be a DP, but a TAM player, but nothing that says he'd be the most expensive in the league.

19. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, I usually agree with you on posts, but we've explained many times how this scenario is impossible. What makes you think this is a thing?

The good news is that now you'll still be stuck in and not walk away and get to enjoy 2017 with us.

20. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what to say, except to say that I would be nervous if you were sitting next to me - and I have a very old, not very nice, bum.

21. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    If my math is right, and it may not be, Ibrahimovic is currently making just over US$19 million.

Giovinco is currently on about US$7 million.

[​IMG]

Winoman repped this.
  22. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What Zlatan is making at ManU right now has nothing to do with what the LA Galaxy might pay him. Your leap of logic here is HUGE.

Theopisa and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  23. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I agree to an extent. But do you see him coming for 1/3 of his current salary? I don't.

24. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on how much LA/MLS/adidas can sweeten the pot with endorsement money. Beckham made way more than the number on his contract due to locking in all kinds of endorsements with the help of the league and their advertising partners. Obviously, when it comes to advertising in American markets, Beckham > Zlatan, but there still must be ways to "enhance" a deal for him.

25. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    US Soccer President election is today.

Unofortunately for those who want change, it looks like the two candidates with the most votes [Kathy Carter and Carlos Cordiero] are more of the same. Status quo etc...

1 more round of voting. Wynalda, Martino and the rest were blown out of the water.

DCUSA repped this.