News: 2018 Other Teams Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by msilverstein47, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I also agree that DC United is a posers usage as well, because nothing was "united" to create the team. On the other hand "DMV United" actually would make some sense.

Theopisa repped this.
  2. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1427 tallguy, Apr 6, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    It's a myth that the "United" nomenclature indicates that two soccer teams merged to form one club. Shortly before World War I began, Manchester United's new owners changed the name of the team from Newton Heath LYR Football Club" simply because they thought that as "Manchester United" the club could be better marketed to consumers.

In theory, there's something to be said for using American-style sports clubs names to identify American soccer clubs. But, in practice, what we got were anes like the Dallas Burn, the San Jose Clash, the Los Angeles Galaxy, the Chicago Fire, the Colorado Rapids and the New England Revolution which were designed solely to appeal to teenage skateboarder kids. The same reasoning almost resulted in D.C. United being known as "the Washington Spies."

Again, in a crowed sports market, using soccer-centric terminology to identify teams helps MLS to market teams to consumers just as "Manchester United" was created pretty much as a marketing ploy. It works, obviously. Even the resuscitated old-time NASL teams like the Portland Timbers and Seattle Sounders have adopted the words "Football Club" as part of their official name; to wit, the Portland Timbers FC and the Seattle Sounders FC.

song219 repped this.
  3. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it would be one thing if the organization involved were new. But in the case of an organization that has decades of past history? It sucks hard, it sucks fast, it sucks often.

4. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. If you think adding "FC" to the name is a significant component of Seattle and Portland successes, I have a stadium in Frisco, Texas I'd like to sell you.

2. How is "Chicago City SC" a name that more strongly suggests "soccer" to the neophyte? The average non-soccer fan will have no idea what SC means, or what traditional English-style club naming looks like. It's unquestionably a poseur move.

3. The name of the team probably doesn't even rank in the top 10 of reasons why Chicago has had trouble getting people to go to their games. People forget that back when they were good, the Fire got strong average attendance, and their playoff attendances were good too. Chicago's biggest problem is that they haven't put a decent team out of the pitch in many years. Prioritizing a name change over putting out a team that's actually interesting / exciting to watch is typical stupid crap for MLS, LLC.

song219, Dizi, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  5. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was calling this region the DMV really a think back in the mid 90s? I don't even remember hearing it referred to that way when I moved up here in 2002, unless I'm totally missing something.

6. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fondly remember the "Washington Diplomats". As most of the genuine diplomats in Washington come from foreign countries, it's a name that works well with a team with players from many countries other than our own. "Washington Bureaucrats" would work only if we concentrated on hiring US-born players.

Winoman and griffin1108 repped this.
  7. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it was definitely a thing by then.

sitruc and pr0ner repped this.
  8. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    I thought "cute" names were a recent affectation. I just looked at a list of California League (the Class A baseball league of my youth -- go San Jose Bees) and found these names from the turn of the twentieth century -- San Francisco Orphans, San Jose Prune Pickers, Santa Cruz Sand Crabs and Watsonville Hayseeds.

Winoman repped this.
  9. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Washington Beltway Bandits

10. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My problem is living in Poolesville and having to commute in to DC. I need to talk some folks into going down and have a designated driver. I'll let you know when I plan on heading down. Would enjoy a beer or two with you.

11. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I remember the first time I read someone referring to the area as the DMV and I was wondering why they were talking about the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Winoman repped this.
  12. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember it being referred to the DMV constantly, at least on the "urban" radio stations.

13. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember those games. Vasca... It would be interesting to see El Diablo and Moreno in the league today.

tallguy repped this.
  14. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That's because they HAD TO, when they joined MLS technically they were no longer the same club that existed before, so they had to change name. They did not want a big change, and neither did MLS, so they thought the least damage would be adding a small FC that nobody would notice. And as a matter of fact, nobody talks about the Seattle Sounders FC or the Portland Timbers FC but everybody calls them Seattle Sounders and Portland Tombers.

Adler and Dizi repped this.
  15. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the old NASL name was not trademarked, it was in the public domain and was available when the Sounders and the Timbers joined MLS. Unlike the old NASL Cosmos, nobody was holding Seattle and Portland up for money for the right to use the old name. There was no legal requirement that either team add "FC" to their name. They did so because they thought that it would be cool to do so.

16. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    New York Jets. :cautious::cautious:

griffin1108 repped this.
  17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Chicago Fire has always officially been Chicago Fire SC.

18. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/04/06/felipe-fans-vancouver-need-cheer-harder-us-not-opponent

I dislike scumbag Felipe with all myself, but I think this time he's dead right.
    I had the same experience yesterday, as a couple of elderly hispanics were going crazy for LAFC and especially Vela. I couldn't tell if they were Mexicans or not, but I don't think they were traveling fans although of course I don't know, but I never cheered NYCFC just bcs Pirlo was playing there, although I liked the player.

19. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Were you around after we traded Raul Diaz Arce? Many in the local Salvadoran community developed a deep hatred for DCU. They'd show up whenever the Galaxy and Cienfuegos came to town. Many were angry and confrontational. I know I got knocked over, while walking out, by a large group running through the concourse.

asitis

Dizi and John L repped this.
  20. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I clearly remember that. I'm not sure the Salvadorian community ever returned.

21. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I arrived in the US in the summer 98, and I only saw one game that season, a 2-1 win against the Crew in the play offs. I don't Arce was still at DCU back then. But I heard about the story. Regarding the Salvadorians, I still know people from the DU/LN groups who are from there, but I think you are right about the "large chunk" community. And I clearly remember the Cienfuegos fans or other players fans in the years to come.

22. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F C is Fu Cking stupid in the US. Every time, no question.

It should always be pronounced phonetically :cool:

Winoman and griffin1108 repped this.
  23. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may have been used on those station, but "DMV" was not in broad, common usage until the last 15 years or so (I've been here for 40 years).

24. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I did say in a previous comment in this thread that the Euro-sounding names are getting "tiresome" I am not 100% against them. It just seems that every new team (and not just at the MLS level) is now "FC," "United," "Inter" or whatever.

I actually rather like the mix of "American"-sounding names and the Euro names. I think it represents the the jumbled up mix influences that the game has here, but this club-naming convention is getting too dominant, in my view.

Dropping a good name like "Fire" (from an original MLS club with history) to go with something European-sounding is just marketing trend-chasing, and doesn't seem to address the real problem that they have (which is a suburban stadium that few want to go to).

#SaveTheFire

P.S. - "Wizards" was always a crap name. I didn't mind seeing KC change it at all.

fatbastard repped this.
  25. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    Great article about a Real Betis legend.
    It also sheds some light on the fan culture of our upcoming May 22nd opponents.

Joaquin: Real Betis icon on 'love story' with boyhood club, & his next chapter at age 37 - BBC Sport https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47678319

Winoman repped this.