News: 2018 Other Teams Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by msilverstein47, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Blanco goal was stunning.

MattR repped this.
  2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Of the four conference finalists, who wouldn't fill a stadium? Jersey? Going back to the Quarterfinal round, I can only imagine Columbus not filling the venue and they're a league run team that wouldn't have been seeded high enough to host.

3. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    KC is mediocre to bad most of the time. Most of the bad markets didn’t make it to the end of the playoffs, you’re right, Portland vs. NY would have also been fine. We just need to avoid another Columbus/RSL style crap fest.

4. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    11:10 pm EST, Friday, 11/30:
    ESPN is reporting* on its crawl under the heading "News" that the owner and founder of Louisville City has died in a plane crash.

RIP. Prayers forthcoming.

*We'll see if ESPN can somehow find the desire to cover this on their regular airtime. It's just soccer, after all. :rolleyes:

5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    George Bush was the first person I saw on the crawl.

6. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm convinced you don't even watch MLS. You just complain about it.

sitruc and griffin1108 repped this.
  7. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Winoman repped this.
  8. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    #1008 shammypants, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    I’m talking about their viewership. I don’t give a crap about their turnout at their small stadium or quality of play.

It’s a small market and a crappy team to have in a cup relative to a number of others.

Now that I’ve clarified the point you can go back to being my miserable shadow again.

9. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watch and I loathe the close ups on their coach’s face. He looks like a permanently-constipated Marv.

IMG_3190.jpg

Marv has better people skills.

James

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  10. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    MLS cup KC vs RSL drew a metered rating of 0.5. A later Columbus involved cup was also 0.5. As the league grows having these small market, boring and unwatched cups doesn’t help. Atlanta vs. Portland will actually make the news.

11. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    Yeah, the guys from New York park the cars, walk the RB Salzburg dogs, pick up the RB Leipzig dry cleaning, useful stuff like that. Real team players. :p

Winoman repped this.
  13. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
  14. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Well, that was a meh MLS Cup. Atlanta kept Valeri contained. Portland has no offensive weapons other than him and Atlanta's overall quality just smothered the life out of Portland. If not for Diego Chara, the game probably would have been 5-0 Atlanta. IIRC, DCU was looking at Andy Polo a few years ago, but nothing worked out -- thankfully.

15. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Atlanta is an organization that made Jeff Larentowicz look good, they are incredibly impressive top to bottom.

16. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Maybe it's less relevant 22 years into MLS, but the game was good for the league even if it wasn't a good game. This is what many fans want to see - a dominent team strangling the life out of their opponent in front of 70K. Atlanta may not be Manchester City, but they are pretty good and represent the league well to the world.

On a different subject, I like that MLS plays their championship game on home fields. I know that from a strictly competitive standpoint it isn't fair. But it rewards the people who come to games. MLS is largely supported by game day attendance and sponsorships. So it's fitting that each season some team's supporters get to see their team compete for the Cup without having to travel hundreds or thousands of miles. I'll never forget the MLS Cup we won at RFK. This year the 50K Atlanta fans who came out all season got rewarded with the rare opportunity to see their team win a Cup. I'm okay with that.

bigredfutbol, Auriaprottu and Hedbal repped this.
  17. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Atlanta Portland had a metered rating of 1.2. This cup was good for MLS whereas other teams would have been bad for MLS.

18. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure that isn't true at all. Sponsorships maybe but TV revenue comes into the league and gets split amongst the clubs. I don't think attendance moves the needle at all.

James

19. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Can someone tell me why 5 teams are exempt from the expansion draft please?

20. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because they had players taken in the last expansion draft, and normally expansion teams come in pairs, so it's a double jeopardy thing.

benni... repped this.
  21. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's dumb as hell. I mean, I see what they're trying to do .... but then they made LAfc protect and expose players to the draft - if they had come in together, fcCincy could not have picked a player that LAfc had picked.

Just when they are mostly starting to be more transparent with their rules, MLS goes and does MLS :cool:

Winoman and benni... repped this.
  22. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The LAFC thing is dumb. That's what they get for not sucking, I guess.

23. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    So Cheatin' Bob gets cheated. Sounds like a country song.

asitis

Winoman repped this.
  24. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of a redemption tour

asitis and Winoman repped this.
  25. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'd lost his job, but not his car, girl or dog. So it's a pretty crappy song by country standards. "First World Problems"

asitis and Winoman repped this.