News: 2018 Other Teams Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by msilverstein47, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go 'Gate! Winning a game in the NCAAs for the second year in a row. Another run to the sweet 16 is probably too much to hope for, but it's a bright start.

2. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  3. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Nobody talking about the USMNT kicked in the teeth at Wembley?
    I understand.

Winoman repped this.
  4. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Team looked as brain dead as Sarachan appeared on the sidelines. He just sat there like a condemned man contemplating his last meal. Richie Williams was next to him with eyes so wide he looked as though he was being continually goosed.
    My quick takeaways:
    Guzan is not international quality, he almost gifted England with two goals due to abysmal distribution.
    Brooks stole money with his transfer to Wolfsburg
    Miazga is depth at best
    Yedlin has learned nothing in his years in England
    Villafana is a nice MLS player
    Trapp must be related to Sarachan
    Bobby Wood couldn't beat out Darren Mattocks for a starting position
    The other younger guys -- Pulisic, Weah, Adams, McKennie, etc. desparately need to find a coach to instill an actual system and that team also needs "veteran" leadership that neither Yedlin nor Guzan nor Wood appear to be able to deliver.

In contrast, Southgate has remade that England team. There is real skill and creativity out there. Finally, Rooney did fine in his cameo, nice ending for his national career.

Winoman, John L and benni... repped this.
  5. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yesterday reminded me why I haven't gone out of my way to watch the USMNT much this year.

Terrible, negative soccer. Players who look like they're playing as individuals, not a team. Brief flashes of brilliance squandered away by the mistakes of youth. A complete lack of direction. And now Pulisic is frustrated with the situation.

This year was wasted. Not quickly hiring a coach and using this year to full advantage was stupid. I wouldn't be surprised if the team stinks up the joint during the Gold Cup in 2019 as a result of all this.

Winoman, tallguy and John L repped this.
  6. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Beerholder will fix all issues -- just ask his brother.

Winoman repped this.
  7. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting [Hamid or frankly any other MLS goalkeeper] and Canouse some minutes in this game would have justified the US playing it. Frankly, they should be looking at Arriola to RB, too.

Or maybe I'm just a homer. :)

Happy for Wayne getting a NT sendoff in style, though. It's more than he could have hoped for and less than he deserves.

Winoman repped this.
  8. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    You are a homer.

But Arriola should replace Green on any roster, and move Pulisic to the middle.

GumbyG repped this.
  9. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Hamid and Arriola are (or were) nursing injuries, and no need to see what they can do. If the new coach can't see that, then he's lost to me. Canoes however should start at any Def Mid position.

Winoman repped this.
  10. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    In the Mens U20 CONCACAF tourney, yesterday the USA beat Costa Rica 4-0. They will play Honduras on Monday. If they beat Honduras (and Honduras and CR have already tied 1-1), they will play the winner of Mexico and Panama (who both have already beaten El Salvador 1-0).

Tourney was kinda weird. There was preliminary group play with six groups. Then the winners of each group went into another round of group play with two 3-team groups. The winners of each group advance to the Finals. (The first and second place teams in both groups also advance to the Mens U-20 World Cup in Poland next year).

Winoman repped this.
  11. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Battle of the Chocolates: Belgium vs Switzerland

Belgium took an early 2 goal lead from some miscues on the Swiss defense. But then Switzerland had stormed back with 4 goals, and the last scored by the Swiss defender who scored an own-goal earlier.

Winoman repped this.
  12. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I am barely starting to understand something about Nations League, I still don't know in practical terms what is going to mean but to read the word "relegated" near the name Germany puts a smile on my face.

John L and Winoman repped this.
  13. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Winoman repped this.
  14. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I honestly would be more worried about qualifications to WC 2022.

15. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In two days, there will be my personal "derby", the country where I was born and raised for thirty years vs the country which has hosted me for the last twenty. My heart is obviously with Italy although - being a friendly - I wouldn't really care if the US obtain a positive result like a few years ago (win 0-1 in Genoa).
    Italy has been playing really well the last 2~3 games, the 0-0 against Portugal is deceiving, in the first half it was only Italy, then the second half was more balanced. And I have to say that Portugal has become really a top nation, with or without CR7 (who hasn't played in the NT since the last WC).
    But Mancini is doing a great job and I think players are starting to grasp what he wants. It's a little disappointing however that a few players will be "injured" for this game.

fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  16. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I dont get why Cameron Carter Vickers consistenly gets called up. He doesnt get minutes with Spurs. Whenever he plays for the US, he looks poor. Like really bad.

17. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Meh... OK game and nothing more. There is really a lot of work to be done for the US. A ton. Italy a far relative of the team admired in Poland and vs Portugal in Milan, but this team keeps the ball in a smart way and plays it well. Three players at their first cap, Sensi, Grifo and Kean, plus Tonali on the bench who did not enter. I' ll take the win. For the US, these are friendlies, and although nobody likes to lose, at the end there is no damage.

18. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #968 yabo, Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    What stood out was that the US team sensibility didn't match the Azurri. They did not move cohesively or anticipate. They lacked a first touch that would give them space on the ball. They were like a 12 year old boy clueless in trying to figure out how to take a young girls panties off when it came to penetrating the Italian box.

19. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    When your starting striker is a teenager that has not even made the first team squad for his club, you have Exhibit 1 that your program is truly ********ed. Trinidad and the long limbo of the Sarachan era was, in Churchill's words, "the end of the beginning," nothing more. This program is a longshot to qualify for Qatar in 2022. The US team had two players with a soccer brain -- Pulisic and Adams. And, Adams is still a very unfinished product. I watched snippets of the game -- it reminded me of "Hamid and Hope" style DCU play with Horvath playing the Hamid role.

Theopisa repped this.
  20. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    This match reminded me of the late '80's qualification cycle and the 1990 WC: youngsters with hope, energy and "potential"; staunch defending (with more than a little luck) and a reliance on set pieces to create chances. Pulisic is the one anomaly in this comparison. Let's hope he remains healthy and continues to develop.

asitis

Eastern Bear and Theopisa repped this.
  21. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is it just my bad memory that the USA used to have (almost) too many good defenders? We seem to have coached that out of the current generation. No really good defenders, no really good forwards - just a buttload of midfielders.

Eastern Bear and sitruc repped this.
  22. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [QUOTE="yabo, post: 37291072, member: 8853" They were like a 12 year old boy clueless in trying to figure out how to take a young girls panties off when it came to penetrating the Italian box.[/QUOTE]
    :eek: Couldn't you think of a less fraught example?

yabo repped this.
  23. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek: Couldn't you think of a less fraught example?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, it seemed so apropos!....

24. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, it seemed so apropos!....[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, if that 12 year old boy succeeds he might have a chance to be a Supreme Court justice someday!

25. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I thought about a proper adjective for the US team, and the one I can better think of is FRAGILE. I wouldn't even worry about well figuring at the Gold Cup, the real deal here is to create a strong enough team to qualify for the next WC, since it ain't 2026 yet. And with a team like this in Concacaf qualifications, you are not going far.

griffin1108 repped this.