News: 2018 Other Teams Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by msilverstein47, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The majority owner is principle in a local company. The the president and general manager comes from the NFL with experience in running a sports business. The ownership group is diverse, including a owner of a regional USL team. And the club went public in August 2015, with strong buy-in from the local community in stock ownership. They are very locally driven. They got rid of Harkes for a real coach in Alan Koch, who'd been respected at the Vancouver Whitecaps FC organization. When we get this type of organization - from top to bottom, and we give it time for the original wave of heard core supporters to trust the team again, we'll sell out every game.

Eastern Bear and benni... repped this.
  2. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/08/06/lafc-acquire-christian-ramirez-minnesota-united-fc

This is big move. If it works out, you'd imagine it pushes Ramirez futher into the national team pool. It also helps LA asap.

Then MFC get all that allocation money. I guess they are gonna open up their stadium with an even bigger bang than us. They might actually get someone under 32 years old!

3. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    At that rate they are on track to do a stadium swap with the Bungles by the next World Cup. Wouldn't it be a kick in the pants when NFL stadia are "right sized" for MLS? Expect to see the newbies getting loaded with talent as the league puts Calvin Ball rules to shame.

benni... repped this.
  4. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    So it's Wednesday and Miguel Almiron still hasn't been suspended for spitting on Chris Mavinga. Two weeks after Martinez somehow managed to avoid suspension for an undisguised head butt. Which came after 4 or 5 dubious VAR calls went in Atlanta's favor.

I always expect this league to be better than it actually is.

ejs1111, asitis and Winoman repped this.
  5. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    Come on Q*bert, you know MLS is the American version of soccer-football. We adopt rules from other American sports to make it more familiar. This rule comes from golf. Atlanta is a new team; they just haven't used all their Mulligans yet. They may have even traded TAM/GAM to get more.

All hail Calvin and Hobbs.

asitis

Winoman repped this.
  6. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think? I'm wondering how much playing time Ramirez is actually gonna get with all the attackers LAFC already have on their roster. Who do you bench to get Ramirez on the field? Or is Bradley looking at him as a supersub?

7. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I think Urena may be the odd man out. Just from what I've seen. Diomande has been awesome, though.

I dont imagine they'd change their formation after this much success.

8. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Diomande is currently injured, so it's a moot point for the moment, but it seemed like an odd move when they're already fairly stacked at his position (Dio, Urena, Rossi, Vela... hell, even Ngyuen has played as a center forward) unless they were planning to move somebody. Nothing reported by the end of the transfer deadline, though.

9. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    They made both Feilhaber and Lee Ngyuen play in a deeper midfield position than their used to playing. Their last open cup game and their match vs the Red Bulls...

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/m...red-bulls-vs-los-angeles-football-club/lineup

Thats still a lot of strikers and forwards to manage.

10. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Rumor has it that Michael Jordan hiked the entire Appalachian Trail without dribbling and still didn't get called for travelling.

asitis repped this.
  11. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Winoman repped this.
  12. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    If true concerning loss of Serie A that sucks. I did a quick look forward on Cox Fairfax to next weekend shows the English broadcast BEIN channel 220/1220HD had TBD in the usual Sat evening time slot, while the Spanish channel 230/1230HD had Serie A scheduled. If gone it was magnificent while it lasted

13. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    I've seen this on my Comcast cable as well. Its all about money. It sucks. I hope they can figure it out before La Liga and Ligue One start. Does Cox Cable still have a working agreement with beIN Sports?

14. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
  15. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dizi repped this.
  16. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Chicago is one of the few FOs that make more perplexing personnel choices than ours. They aren't always the best talent evaluators.

Don't know a hell of a lot about the guy but I recognize his name and would have been pleased if DK had chosen him during any of the recent transfer windows.

I watch SKC a lot (he was a HG signing years ago) and know he can play CB or RB. Not sure why he was cut but considering the window is closed...this is one of the best intra-league options to upgrade from Oniel Fisher. I'm stunned he was cut so easily by a struggling team when he started 20 games for em.

His salary doesn't look bad either...I think this would be decent acquisition if we can leapfrog SJ & Colorado in the waiver selection order.

17. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said this in the United season thread as well, but there was some kind of acrimony over his exit from SKC, and now he's been cut midseason by Chicago less than a year later. Entirely speculation on my part, but it seems an awful lot like there may be some off-field issues involved. Not sure DC needs that in their locker room

18. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Yes. Bein has been carrying lots of MotoGP and Tennis recently and plenty of LaLiga and Ligue 1 and some Turkish league replay matches. as I said earlier the 4 channels are on the wire as I enter this post.

19. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    https://www.si.com/tech-media/2018/08/07/espn-italian-serie-multi-year-deal
    It has been official for a few days. In Italy they call it the :"CR7 effect".
    Serie A is still going to be on Rai Italia, so I am not much concerned about it.

Winoman and Dizi repped this.
  20. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just got an email from Verizon FIOS. It would appear that they have reached an agreement with Bein Sports, and are reactivating it tonight.

Theopisa and roadkit repped this.
  21. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Cox has RAI Italia so I can just add the channel for the monthly equivalent of a carry out meal from the local Chinese. The thought of listening to Brit (mandatory on ESPN) announcers doing Serie A makes me shudder. Thanks for the update.

Theopisa repped this.
  22. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    A good occasion to study and learn some Italian! Aren't you retired?

Dizi repped this.
  23. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    For the past 2 decades I've watched subtitled features on the MHZ network in French, Italian, German and Swedish. Yes you do learn a bit that way. Considering that I watched my first soccer broadcast in a hotel bar in Sicily 40 years ago and most US broadcasts available were either Italian or Spanish in the 80's.
    To me the "natural languages" for the game are Italian and Spanish.
    I'm going to wait until next week after I get a feel for what is what. I have a suspicion that Bein will still broadcast a few "marquee" matches on their Spanish language channels 230 and 1230 HD. Retirement when done right leaves you with less free time than you had when you worked. Fortunately all of it is on your schedule and done to your own priorities.

Theopisa, Dizi and Winoman repped this.
  24. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Jozy is always the same douchebag, red card after 10 minutes for violent kick to an opponent player.

25. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Seattle just screwed Dallas. They would have likely won anyway but the red card to Ziegler in the last moments of the game was non existent. I am sure it will be taken away when it gets examinated.