News: 2018 Other Teams Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by msilverstein47, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    #576 Q*bert Jones III, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    What the heck is going on in San Jose?

(Their coach, who I gather was pulled off the streets of some European town and hired sight unseen, brought in a player in the 41st minute and then took him off at the halftime kickoff.) ((That's weird and dysfunctional.)) (((Really weird.)))

Winoman, ejs1111 and Dizi repped this.
  2. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Straight out of the Tom Soehn coaching manual. The strategic pre-halftime sub. This guy just doubled down by subbing for the sub at the break.

fatbastard repped this.
  3. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently the coach and Wondo said he had an injury, but no one else seems to believe that.

Dizi and Winoman repped this.
  4. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    when does MUFC get a new stadium?...the football lines are insanely distracting and are getting wider attn because darwin quinteros has been electric the past few games

benni... repped this.
  5. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's supposed to be ready for beginning of 2019 season

sitruc and Dizi repped this.
  6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It will be. The exterior already looks impressive.

7. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
  8. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
  9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    As I said on a MLS board on the same topic...

10. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Dallas trades Kellyn Acosta to Colorado for Dominic Badji and assets.

If Acosta plays in Colorado next season, Dallas might be the dumbest front office in MLS. If Acosta leaves MLS, then Colorado remains the dumbest front office in MLS.

Winoman, griffin1108, fatbastard and 2 others repped this.
  11. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Acosta was riding the pine in Dallas and looked terrible after his injury. FCD had guys playing better in front of him and they needed someone up front.

Plus, if he had any real European interest they would have sold him there and kept 100% of profits. Instead they made him someone else’s problem.

12. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adi apparently transferred to FC Cincy

sitruc and Dizi repped this.
  13. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    MLS All Stars vs Juve "B"in Atlanta looks like a success for the league and the city. Sad no DCU reps

14. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Naturally the mandatory Brit babbling on about Chelsea during the match. To add insult to injury they had Howard miked and were trying to shoot the shit with him while he's playing the ball. This league needs to go to self respect therapy and attend dignity classes Final 1-1 with Juve winning on penalties. You'll love who missed the only one of 10

Winoman and GumbyG repped this.
  15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Guzan was the goalkeeper not Howard. I get that they do look similar. It's an All Star Game. I'm glad the league is at a point where they can try things and not worry about the perception of the league based on some meaningless exhibition. I'm still mixed on Ibra taking the next game suspension and that there is a suspension. The official during the Homegrown game was mic'd to explain a VAR decision. I like that.

Dizi, asitis and Winoman repped this.
  16. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I thought he took a shave, my badI Bet you were enthralled with the countdown clock and the shoot out, I think when you invite and obviously pay a team like Juve to come play they deserve a bit of respect and from my perspective that was less than fully accorded in last night's meeting. But If it amused you then they at least had one satisfied customer and I'm sure you aren't alone. As for the official they have been wired for some time now and I didn't watch so was there 2 way communications between the announcers and the ref? If there was it's wrong.

17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    You see what you want to see, @NicktheGreek. It's an All Star Game. Excuse me for not considering a game where 4 players a side were being subbed every 30 minutes among the pantheon of matches alongside Champions League Finals. I get it. Juventus is to be proclaimed and obviously even their "B" squad as you described it deserves more respect and dignity than what they experienced last night. Obviously. I didn't say the goalkeeper commentary was a good idea, but I'm not mad at them for trying something different in that circumstance. It's an exhibition game. Other All Star Games have tried similar things for broadcasts. I'm not a countdown clock guy. Shoot out? Sure. Those were the rules early on. East vs West maybe. I wouldn't trot it out for a game where the opponent is using the event as pre-season training though.

You obviously did not understand the comment about the center ref communications. For the HG Game, the center announced to the crowd like in football, hockey and some rugby the verdict after VAR was used. That had never been done before in soccer. Unfortunately, the mic didn't work although players on the field heard and understood and it ended in a 2-goal swing. It would have been interesting to see the application during the ASG since it won't happen in a league game.

18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot the All-Star game was on and didn't realize it until half-time. I enjoyed hearing Twellman talk to Arthur Blank, it was like listening to a 1995 version of Kevin Payne, I almost became a Falcon's fan for those 5 minutes. I felt his entire "here's how you run a successful MLS club" answer was describing every thing this DCU group have done wrong over the last 3-5 years - I hope the two head guys were listening, but I doubt it.
    I watched the very beginning of the second half but it didn't look that interesting or attacking so I went back to watching the Ozzy and Jack's World Detour marathon. I enjoyed Kelly being a part of this season :)

Winoman, asitis and sitruc repped this.
  19. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    You are excused, of course.
    I said, "As for the official they have been wired for some time now and I didn't watch" (at that time to be precise) "so was there 2 way communications between the announcers and the ref? If there was it's wrong."
    The was there and the question mark make it a question not a statement or comment. I thought I was reasonably clear asking if it was a conversation between the ref and the announcer as they had with the keeper.

20. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    According to some thread on Big Soccer, it's been 306 days since the San José Earthquakes won an MLS game against a team other than Minnesota United.

21. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Clearly putting too much effort into beating one team

song219, Winoman and asitis repped this.
  22. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United

Brought a smile to my face and I honestly feel sorry for the folks who can't appreciate Ibra. He's so likable!

NicktheGreek and pr0ner repped this.
  23. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    And of course they go and beat a shield contender on the road. That's so MLS.

benni... repped this.
  24. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FCC season ticket base will be larger than our stadium. Really impressive what can happen when you figure it out.

Winoman, yabo and Dizi repped this.