News: 2018 Other Teams Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by msilverstein47, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the league has revealed four finalists for the first two expansion spots, which will be announced before the end of the year:  

Cincinnati 
    Detroit 
    Nashville 
    Sacramento 

The finalists will make presentations to the league's Expansion Committee and Commissioner Don Garber on Dec. 6, and the MLS Board of Governors meeting on Dec. 14 will include additional discussions on expansion with ownership representatives from every team.

2. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I hope Detroit loses. The other three seem pretty good. At least they will play on grass surfaces (Cincy will in their proposed stadium).

3. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Well, if Cincy gets a franchise, it’s all over for Columbus. Sacramento is a huge market by itself. Nashville has a “buzz”, but I want to see if the heartland of pointy-ball football really is interested in the world’s game. Atlanta has the buzz now, but that metro area has a history of tepid long-term support for franchises. Detroit? I just don’t think so.

4. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I'm hoping it's either Detroit or Cincinnati because those are easier road trips and it is all about me.

5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Detroit might lose this installment, but there no dice that those owners won't eventually get a MLS team.

6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Northern Virginia United FC Joins the NPSL 

NPSL is proud to announce that Northern Virginia United FC (Leesburg, VA), has joined the league as an expansion team. The club will compete in the Northeast Region’s Mid-Atlantic Conference. 

“We are thrilled to add another NPSL team in Virginia,” NPSL Chairman Joe Barone commented. “Our Mid-Atlantic Conference continues to grow and our fans and supporters should be very excited about Northern Virginia United.” 

The leadership of Northern Virginia United includes President Liam Hogan and General Manager/Vice President Chris Welsh. 

Hogan has dreamed of starting an NPSL team since he was 17 years old. He has been involved as a player in the area for his entire life, including as a member of the first-ever boys Loudoun Soccer Club team to win a VYSA State Cup. His firsthand perspective as a player in the region will be a major asset in leading Northern Virginia United. 

Welsh is an experienced coach with experience at BW Advanced Soccer and BRYC. He assisted with the BRYC 99 team that won a national championship and regularly works with U-12 through U-18 BRYC players that aspire to play in college. He holds the USSF “E” and “F” licenses and is currently working towards a “D” license. He was a U-19 State Cup winner, played collegiately at both VCU and Wofford, and was an All-Met selection by The Washington Post after his senior season at Battlefield High School. He also played in the Livingston F.C. Pro Academy from U-12 through U-14.  

“We hope the addition of our club in Northern Virginia will supplement the existing NPSL Mid-Atlantic Conference and provide another quality opponent in the already talented conference,” Hogan added. “We are also centrally located which is great for travel logistics. Beyond that, Northern Virginia United hopes to capture the attention of fans in one of the strongest soccer markets in the country while promoting the increasingly common vision of improving American soccer by growing the game in a sustainable way from the local community level and up. Over the next few years we also plan to have the club transition to becoming partially supporter-owned, which will allow the people who make the club possible to have a meaningful voice.” 

Home matches will be played at Cropp Metcalfe Park at Evergreen Sportsplex in Leesburg, Virginia. The 1,300-seat stadium features a FIFA One Star certified playing surface. The stadium has a center concourse which features several flat screen televisions, comfortable seating, a sports store, and a restaurant. It also has a spacious second-tier party deck and skybox. 

“The expectation for our inaugural season is that we will lay a strong foundation and establish meaningful relationships by offering a memorable and exciting matchday experience which we believe will be critical for the club to experience sustainable growth,” Hogan continued. “We also expect to field a team that plays with passion and style while fighting for every inch.” 

More information about the club can be found at northernvirginiaunited.com or by following the club on Instagram (@NVUFC), Facebook (@nvufc), and Twitter (@NVUFC). 

“We feel that the NPSL is a natural fit for Northern Virginia United since the league has consistently been adding new clubs with similar visions for growing soccer in America by strengthening communities through the game and working to offer more valuable opportunities to deserving players with the ultimate hope of seeing the U.S. Men's National Team win the World Cup,” Hogan concluded.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  7. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting, so next year (2019) may see semi-competing soccer teams playing on opposite sides of the Greenway - DCU's USL (proposed) new stadium might be visible from Evergreen - also sounds like evergreen dd some building-up of their main stadium to put TVs and a place to eat. Guess you have to do something to keep that church money laundered. Hope that doesn't mean they kicked the BBQ guys out.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  8. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Now the odds of having a pro soccer team in the area with a winning record have gone waaaay up. Good luck to the Plumbers at Cropp Metcalf and keep us posted for the day their IPO opens

9. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Cincinnati has some charm, but Daytwaah?

10. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    KC gets rid of Feilheiber.

I don't really understand what they're trying to accomplish. Midway through last season, they looked like the only capable threat to TFC's Shield challenge. Since then, they've gotten rid of their two best players. They're down to 2 good CBs and a bunch of role players.

In MLS, you can count on about 1 in 4 foreign signings working out. If they think they can just bring in a splashy foreign striker and compete for a playoff spot, well, the odds aren't in their favor.

11. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    The Dwyer move I didn't understand, but KC did receive a metric shit ton of money for him. Feilhaber, OTOH, clearly is past his sell by date and commands a DP salary. Cheatin' Bob got swindled by Vermes on that deal whether or not KC's foreign Feilhaber replacement pans out.

fatbastard repped this.
  12. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  13. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feilhaber will be 33 in a couple of weeks, and they already have a fancy Frenchman (Croizet) to take his place. This is what good teams do: get rid of players just before the collapse while they still have value.
    Dwyer busts his ass forever and always, but his skill level tops out a notch above Danny Cruz. So very overrated, wastes so many chances.

14. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Snejider signed for a Qatar team, we won't see him in MLS

15. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Wait a few years,

Winoman and Theopisa repped this.
  16. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    https://www.orlandocitysc.com/stadium/paperless

So, Orlando has the paperless tickets - but they also give an option who does not have a modern cellphone or else. I am wondering if DCU is still pursuing this option like they were at the beginning. In Turkey first and second division, tickets are charged to some kind of "credit card" called Passolig (or Passo, https://www.passo.com.tr/en), which anybody can get.

17. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Probably will have some option to print them at the stadium and a kiosk or something. However, how many people in 2018 dropping coin to see an MLS match would not have a smartphone?

18. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Begs the question would a smart phone have 2018 DC United tickets?

song219, mosca, UnitedBorn and 3 others repped this.
  19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    A recent update has made using my camera kill my phone battery in no time at all. I can imagine taking photos around the stadium before the game and it dying while waiting in line to scan the thing.

Theopisa and Winoman repped this.
  20. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me, for one. I have a mobile phone of sorts, but, like me, it isn't very smart and certainly can't substitute for tickets. I grew up when you needed a human operator to connect you to your party (and often listened in on your conversation). I guess I will need an "accommodation."

asitis, sitruc, Theopisa and 1 other person repped this.
  21. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Same here, I have a smartphone but not a plan so for me internet works only where there is wifi. I can survive a few hours without internet when I am out of my house or my office, believe it or not.

22. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you can just take a screenshot of your ticket on your phone and the scan code part functions the same

23. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    The bioware interface on my iPhone still needs an upgrade.

24. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    #25 asitis, Jan 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Does anyone else find it somewhat incongruous that the club would give a memorial ticket to the final match at RFK, worthy of framing (see griffin1108), and then decide they don't want to print tickets?
    OK, the club saves some money, but some people save tickets. I've got 22 years worth.. At least give people the choice to have a printed ticket. I understand if most of the kids don't want one. It just us old relics that do. We'll all be gone soon enough.
    Humor us.

asitis

Adler, fatbastard and sitruc repped this.