2018 NCAA Tournament Round 2

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by McSkillz, Nov 16, 2018.

1. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Earliest matches recently concluded today, getting ready to watch UNC and FSU matches in a few minutes. So far, all the favorites went through but a lot of matches still to be played today.

2. Ingoldsby

Ingoldsby Member

Nov 12, 2014
    SEC loses South Carolina, Arkansas and LSU so far today. Duke and V Tech advance. Go ACC!

McSkillz and mpr2477 repped this.
  3. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am unable to watch the game between FSU and South Florida does anybody care to comment on the first half

4. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've only been watching the last 5 minutes. Both teams are tied and I just saw players pushing each other. It got very chippy at the last seconds of the first half. Now it's halftime.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  5. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Very Chippy....South Florida getting under FSU skin with some very aggressive tackling. Two seperate times play was called and pushing/shoving and almost a few swings. Emotions running high. SFU Goal was deflected and caught FSU Keeper flat footed. FSU equalizer off a cheeky Back heel tucked just inside short post from a cross

Crazyhorse repped this.
  6. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    1-1 at half.
    FSU dominated run of play.
    :USF with a goal off a deflection.
    FSU with a cross to Dallas at near edge of goal
    and she did a beautiful little back foot deflection into the near side of the goal.

Gabby with the assist.
    She has certainly improved her final passes recently.

Real physical with USF 2 yellows

More fouls than shots at half.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  7. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you. Is USF being reckless? A friend at the game told me the officiating is bad.

8. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well South Carolina (a 3 seed) went down to unseeded Penn St. Upset? probably not but based on the tournament committee, South Carolina would be considered favorites

9. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I do
    I actually think the official is doing a pretty damn good job. He tried to let the ladies play early but it started getting out of control. He issued 2 yellows and he is getting control over the game, but these two teams dont seem to like each other

10. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's go, Bulls!

11. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe, maybe not. For at large selections, the Committee must make its decisions based on who has performed best over the course of the season, which isn't really the same as who is the best team now. For seeds, the Committee isn't bound by the same rules but in a lot of cases seems to follow them. So, it may be the Committee felt that South Carolina performed better over the course of the season than Penn State, rather than that South Carolina currently is the better team.

On the other hand, based on decisions the Committee's made over the last 11 years, South Carolina shouldn't have been a #3 seed.

12. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    As a side note FSU looks to have lost Lynch to major knee injury in the 2nd minute. She went down then came back on and was buckled non contact within 30 seconds. It was not pretty

13. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is awful news. That would be the third FSU player to suffer an ACL tear this season.

14. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy crap I just watched highlights of the USC - LSU game and to know ones surprise the keeper for USC had a spectacular save!

15. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how much you want to consider this, but if you look at the Nov. 6th United Soccer Coaches poll, PSU was #14 and S. Carolina was #18.

16. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not good. Feel bad for her if that's the case.

Related, but hopefully FSU gets Bollinger back as well.

17. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Not an upset. South Carolina is young and overachieved this year and wasn't as good as their ranking or NCAA seeding. The gamecocks are the best defensive team in the conference every year--but they don't have a lot of attacking threats and struggled to score most of the year and so I wasn't at all surprised by this score. Pa. State no doubt has considerably more talent than South Carolina, but SC is well coached.

18. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I agree. South Carolina had a good year but they were not as good as their record would suggest. They win a lot of games with their defense--and credit to them for that--but relative to talent Pa. State underachieved this year. They should have been a 3 seed.

19. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Saw the Arkansas-Va. Tech match. A very even contest--endless back and forth for 100 minutes--before Va.Tech won it off a corner in the 2nd OT. Arkansas was very threatening in the 1st OT and I thought the hogs might win it--but couldn't finish. Very diligent defending throughout.

20. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yay BigSoccer back up and running just in time for me to say this, GOOOOoooooo Bruins! :thumbsup::D Next up, Sunday match against NC State. Also I was dying to post this a few hours ago, how about that Santa Clara-NC State match??? Double over-time and PKs ending in dramatic fashion!

mpr2477 repped this.
  21. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I wasnt taking a shot at Penn State..Iwas taking a shot at the rediculous seeding the committee put together in this quadrant

22. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, your statement that Penn State underachieved this year may make your statement they should have been a 3 seed wrong. If the Committee seeded based on what teams have achieved over the course of the season, which seems likely, then Penn State's underachievement killed their chance for a seed. The performance- based numbers state pretty clearly they should not have been seeded.

It gets pretty crazy if the Committee starts making decisions based on how teams should have performed given their talent, even though they didn't perform that way.

It may be fair, however, to say that how Penn State has done in the tournament isn't really an upset. That's based on an assessment of their talent, not on how they performed with that talent before the NCAA Tournament began.

23. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I realized that.
    I just wanted to offer an explanation as to why it may not have been an upset.

24. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UCLA beats Minnesota 5-0

Stanford beat Ole Miss 4-1

McSkillz repped this.
  25. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I agree! When I said Pa. State should have been a 3 seed, I was really referring to their talent and the fact that they may have underachieved a bit this year. They have the talent to be a 1 or 2 seed but, absolutely, you have to earn your seed through your performance over the course of the season. Southern Cal was the biggest anomaly when one considers the team's talent/potential vis-a-vis its (4!) seed.