2018 MLS Week 4 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by bhooks, Mar 20, 2018.

1. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've summed up both the pros and cons to replay in all sports in one sentence.

2. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have not seen PRO call out a referee quite like this in some time. This is a very very bad decision for a professional AR. Then to have it happen after walking while 3 or 4 yards out of position just before the break makes it even worse. Staying laser focused for 90 minutes is difficult.

https://www.proassistantreferees.com/week-in-review/2018/3/31/mls-week-4-march-24

rh89, YoungRef87, jarbitro and 1 other person repped this.
  3. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had no idea this website even existed. This is way better than anything I've ever seen posted on the usual PRO site.

rh89 repped this.
  4. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check out the offside video tests. It's a very valuable resource. I try to do a video test before every AR assignment.

5. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    The decision is a bad one and no PRO AR should miss that. No one can dispute that.

I really don't see how his work rate had anything to do with missing the call. It is not like he was out of position.

He was right there in line to make the call.

I understand that this is PRO and they will teach their ARs whatever they want, but most national assessors I've talked to have all said that if there isn't an attacker within a couple of yards within the second to last defender, there is no need to be right in line with the SLD.

Watch any Champions League match this week and you'll see ARs with even less "work rate" and even "less proper form" and I doubt Collina or UEFA will care unless they blow the call.

frankieboylampard and threeputzzz repped this.