2018 MLS Week 30 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by bhooks, Sep 18, 2018.

1. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    I guess I was just trying to figure out where the bar is for dissent in the professional game. I still don't know, but since I'm just a spectator at that level, I don't really need to. I just worry about the effect it might have on the games I do.

2. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Tbh the language itself is less important bc unless the camera is zoomed in on you or it’s extremely across the line no one can really hear it. For dissent I would make the argument their is more emphasis on the public and provocative nature. If you see a GK run from their box to midfield to dissent a call. You will more and likely see the caution for dissent as opposed to him screaming “you gotta be ********ing kidding me ref!”

3. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really depends on the referee too. Some refs have a higher standard of what they will tolerate, and players know that (Salazar might caution for something Stott would ignore, for example). And then in this instance, it was to the AR. So that complicates it because it brings in a level of disrespect and the AR doesn't have the tools to manage it that the ref does. He can't stop play and tell him its unacceptable. He has to choose--let BWP get away with it, or tell Stott to caution. And at that point Stott's not going to say talk to BWP. If he gets involved, its going to be a card.

wguynes and seattlebeach repped this.
  4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the DisCo committee suspended Maximiniano for assaulting and manhandling Gantar, right? Oh, they didn't?

I kid only to the extent that the DisCo can't do anything there since Gantar didn't do anything. But the league wouldn't have backed him up if he did, either.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I really care, because the Rapids season is over and Wynne shouldn't be playing regularly anyway, but I did think it was a weak red.

7. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Preaching to the choir, but no way that Colorado card should have been reversed. I suppose maybe it was soft (maybe), but a clear and obvious error? This is a new low. At first they were overturning mistaken identity, then clearly wrong red cards, then the one last year in Orlando that was just *"really unpopular with a new team, and we swear we will never use that category again," then this season cards that were given by VAR, but maybe were wrongly called down (I get that, even though it shows problems with how VAR is used), but this is a whole new degree they have stooped to. Seen in real time, maybe orange, but certainly either a yellow or red is justifiable, and in a context where it doesn't really matter. Its just absurd. The logic isn't any more developed than "Colorado asked nicely." This is the kind of arbitrary administration that isn't even tolerated in a local rec league.

GearRef and socal lurker repped this.
  8. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I agree with @jarbitro

I would hardly have been surprised or disturbed by a caution, but I think a knee in the back is adequate grounds for a send off. And rescinding these types of judgment call send offs--after they were upheld following VAR review--IMO sends really poor signals. And I always get back to--there is a PRO rep who is agreeing on these and undermining both the ref and VAR. With VAR, one would think that these reversals should all but disappear. I'd be curious about the numbers (and I'm sure someone on here has them), but it doesn't feel like there are fewer than there were in the past.

jarbitro repped this.
  9. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, my fault. The video that loaded when I clicked was the Minnesota red, not the Colorado one. Stand by my statement but I realize it’s out of left field since that wasn’t the topic at hand. Also agree with everyone else. Soft by historical comparison, but do we want deliberate knees into the backside to only be yellow?

10. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting that Liam Ridgewell was shown a straight red for pretty much the same foul that Deklan Wynne committed. Will it be rescinded also?

usaref repped this.