2018 MLS Week 3 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by bhooks, Mar 13, 2018.

1. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taking bets as to whether another replay angle will emerge on the Waston send off.

2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether it emerges or not, I bet he had one.

Elfath doesn’t go red lightly, even with VR.

3. refinDC

refinDC Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is MLS no longer posting clips of misconduct generally?

4. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
  5. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I wasn't convinced by any of the angles we saw...so I sure hope he had something better than that

6. bhooks

bhooks Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Unfortunately it seems not. Their highlights aren’t as good as last year, with some of the VAR clips only showing the decision after the review and not what was even reviewed.

7. Geko

Geko Member

Sacremento Geckos
    United States
    May 25, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mention NWSL, and they seem to have more creative solutions, too. They played their preseason match last night in Richmond and drew something like 6000+ and had more people there than the United match. But I doubt United would ever consider doing something like that.

8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Richmond is a larger venue. United's match was considered a sellout at what is the home of the Spirit. United did the minimum. United was rumored to be considering Richmond (when there was interest in making money off of the game) and the preseason match was one of the reasons that didn't happen.

9. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Here was a VAR assisted RC against Dempsey for an elbow. His arm clearly swung backwards in one of the replays, enough for Penso to send him off. There wasn't much of a protest put up by Clint to the decision.

10. Geko

Geko Member

Sacremento Geckos
    United States
    May 25, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except for the trademark sarcastic clapping. It's silly to do that when you don't like the decision. It's an embarrassment when what you've done is reviewed on video and it's obvious what you've done.

roby and Ismitje repped this.
  11. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Dempsey card is a good example of how VAR can work well and why some sort of VR should exist. If professional players know actions like that will always result in red cards, eventually you’ll have fewer such actions. Eventually.

Penso either didn’t see the incident or could not possIbly be sure of what he saw. VR allowed him to make the right call on a game-critical decision that, due simply to human constraints, he almost certainly couldn’t have nailed otherwise. VR allowed him to fix that.

Now, if only the VAR system was tailored to these sort of situations and limited to similar incidents or other grave injustices and clear objective errors or omissions.

jarbitro, refinDC, akindc and 1 other person repped this.
  12. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    looked like it happened behind his back. you can see him turn and see the guy on the ground. In theory I suppose the AR might have had a decent view

They should give Dempsey and extra game for his sarcastic clapping. He does that all the time and needs to be taught a lesson. For a player of his experience and advanced years he shouldn't be doing crap like that.

roby and YoungRef87 repped this.
  13. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I was just going to type this, but you beat me to the punch.

The guys who couldn't cut it overseas or were average players there should be a bit more humble (Jozy, Sacha Kljestan, etc, etc), instead they behave like jerks on their return to MLS since they feel everybody is beneath them since they played at a higher level once.

We know it won't happen, but yeah, if you're going to have a guy clap in a referees face after yet another punk move has been found on VAR, suspend the guy another game. He's a repeat offender and got away with murder before VAR, so enough is enough.

14. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he was a hair's breadth from getting a second game for his last red so maybe a goose will be cooked this time

MetroFever repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey isn't exactly the best example of somebody "who couldn't cut it overseas or were average".

frankieboylampard, akindc and sitruc repped this.
  16. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remain a skeptic of VAR, but I will admit that the MLS season so far has seen some good applications that have led to the correct calls being made.
    • Both of Geiger's VAR calls in the SKC-NYCFC game.
    • Elfath's PK and Waston send-off (even if it took too long to come to the conclusion.
    • Penso's send-off of Dempsey
    • Unkel's call to award RSL a free kick against NYRB after originally calling the foul outside of the area.
    I particularly liked Unkel's PK call. He didn't need to go to the monitor himself. The VAR informed him the foul was in the area, and he went with the advice and pointed to the spot. No arguments from the Red Bulls, and the time it took to reverse the original call was made in the usual time when you would see a bunch of mass dissent.

At least MLS seems to be making some progress in the application of VAR.

YoungRef87 repped this.
  17. Ghastly Officiating

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
    What was the restart after the Dempsey red?

18. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    And that's the key to making this work. Letting the VAR make the calls, and the CR trusting it.
    It helps in so many ways:
    1) A VAR would have to be really confident of a decision to overturn the CRs call, which would make it far more likely that only obvious errors would be changed.
    2) Faster, obviously.
    3) Less dissent, since the players don't have access to the person that made the call.

I know there's a big difference between hoping that the CRs trust the VAR, and mandating that the VAR gets the final ruling, but either one is better than the CR having to watch things on a monitor.

19. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    DFK for Dallas from the spot of the infraction just inside the penalty area. Play was originally held up for the check after the ball went into touch for a throw in. In this case, there was not a restart in-between the infraction and when play was stopped for the review.

20. Geko

Geko Member

Sacremento Geckos
    United States
    May 25, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ummmm... I'm confused.

21. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle was attacking. It's a DFK for Dallas (going out) just inside the penalty area.

Geko repped this.
  22. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Inside of Dallas's defensive penalty area. DFK coming out.

Geko repped this.
  23. Geko

Geko Member

Sacremento Geckos
    United States
    May 25, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will remember to drink coffee before reading threads from now on, cause I don't know how I missed that. Thanks!! :ROFLMAO:

24. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    asoc repped this.
  25. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    From that angle, it actually looked like Dempsey tried to hit him twice, so I'm going to go with 'yes'.

djmtxref repped this.