2018 MLS Week 24 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by code1390, Aug 7, 2018.

1. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I really don't understand why the referee is looking at all of these offside reviews. Shouldn't that just be the VAR taking a look and making a decision? It's not like there's a subjective decision for the referee to make. Do they have the tech with the lines to make the decision like they had at the WC? If they do, shouldn't they show that to the TV audience at least?

2. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few weeks ago, PRO made a decision that the referee was to look at everything, including the objective decisions.

As for the lines, I don't think they have them, but I've heard mixed messages on that.

3. ChelseaSounder

Nov 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clip of the Ruidiaz/Ziegler incident from MLS: https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/m...sounders-fc-vs-fc-dallas/details/video/167674

And another clip that happens just off screen in the angles shown in that first clip:

Seems like two reds would have been the right call there for me. Ruidiaz for the headbutt, Ziegler for the double slap. Also, Ziegler should get a game or two for grabbing both the AR and the center as well as not leaving the pitch for a good minute plus.

4. ChelseaSounder

Nov 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Altidore incident here: https://streamable.com/bzqrb

Try to ignore Keller's ridiculous commentary. Altodore lines up his kick and just blasts Callens in the shin. Pretty clear cut.

5. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Altidore definitely deserved red for that.

djmtxref repped this.
  6. Thug Mentality

May 30, 2011
    What was ridiculous about the commentary? I thought it was good.

akindc repped this.
  7. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    I thought if the ref plays advantage on a red card, they are to stop play if that player gets involved in play. Acosta would not have been able to be the goal scorer, even if advantage was played.

8. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to argue a petulant off-the-ball trip that does no damage is red, though (not impossible, but difficult in the current era—particularly after the WC).

The real interesting thing is if it had been caught by an AR, it’s a yellow after play stops. When you add in the yellow for the celebration, he’s gone for 2CT but the goal stands. Try selling that in real life, though.

rh89, jarbitro, ChelseaSounder and 2 others repped this.
  9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also just noticed that Acosta climbed the fence to celebrate the goal before VAR and then took his shirt off after VAR. I've said in the past that if you tick two different boxes in the "excessive celebration" bucket on the same goal, it would be crazy to give a 2CT. But that sort of tests the limits. Acosta committed 3 clear cautionable offences between Rooney's game saving tackle and the restart for the DCU goal. Yet he got one yellow.

ChelseaSounder and JasonMa repped this.
  10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't the trip before the tackle?

11. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct. I meant the play leading up to it but didn't find the right way to phrase it. Essentially between two stoppages, Acosta committed three cautionable offences. That's impressive.

rh89, Baka_Shinpan and JasonMa repped this.
  12. oldmanreferee

oldmanreferee Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Mountain View, ca
    PRO made the decision after the VAR made 2 factual reviews that no way they could have been factual reviews.

13. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jarbitro repped this.