2018 MLS Week 23 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by code1390, Aug 1, 2018.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really. Several of the red cards from this weekend were easily passed in severity by a few of the hands to the face in Russia that either got ignored or sanctioned with yellows. Not to mention the two times a Croatian player blasted the ball into the head of a prone opponent at a stoppage.

socal lurker repped this.
  2. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. I’ve forgotten so much of the World Cup at this point (somewhat deliberately).

I guess the question is, which is the most “correct” application of VAR. Sans any political BS influencing the decisions.

3. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Four or five, depending on how you write up Fuenmayor. Three given after video review.

4. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Meanwhile, the NWSL just now saw its second red card of the entire season.

5. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So what is the opinions here? Was it a PK on Bono?

6. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Yes. I don't buy the dive argument--GK gets a lot of him. And I don't see that ball as far enough away that I would be encouraged to look the other way.

The no-PK at about 4:50 is also interesting. It raises the question of when and how to apply the Esse "taking a risk"--player is lunging and ball hits hand on way toward goal. Is this (A) a call that PRO is teaching not to make, or (B) a call that is too close to be clear error? Is it a failure by the VAR to send it down or by the R to not reverse?

7. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interestingly I believe the VAR on the game with the potential handling was Katja Koroleva, a FIFA referee likely getting most of her training directly from FIFA resources at the international level, rather than from MLS (I base this on not having seen her get an on field Referee assignment yet)

She is the one that recommends the Referee to take another look. I see this as an indication that she probably applied the Esse “taking a risk” instruction which is a FIFA teaching.

It’s not 100% but this might be an indication that MLS has done the same as UEFA and made their own standard, contrary to FIFA.

8. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    GK does stretch out and get ball, and has nowhere to go in order to avoid the player colliding with him.

This is a similar situation to those shown on a lot of FIFA Futuro collections wherein the GK gets the ball and the player then collides with the GK, and it's deemed NF/NC in those situations.

9. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I'd buy that as to any contact with the right leg, but not the contact with the left leg--GK arm moves up into the left leg.

I think this is a foul--though don't know I would call it clear error to support VAR if it was not called.