2018 MLS Week 21 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by ManiacalClown, Jul 17, 2018.

1. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    1021794968879411202 is not a valid tweet id

2. FootyPDX

FootyPDX Member

Portland Timbers
    England
    Nov 21, 2017
    I think the WC did VAR a world of hurt. I can't decide if PRO is intentionally trying to make it terrible so fans don't complain when they get rid of it, or if they are really that incompetent at watching replays and making correct decisions.

3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    I wouldn’t go so far as to say the WC did VAR a world of hurt, but the VAR in the Orlando game should be suspended for not making an incredibly easy decision.

5. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Does anyone have a link to the PK call? The PRO announcement refers to a minimal amount of contact. That seems (not having seen the actual play) to raise the question of where the line for clear and obvious error is when there was actual contact.

I am *guessing* that the VAR looked at it and said something like, "Gee, I don't like that call, but there was enough contact that I can't say it was a clear and obvious error, so I can't send it down."

6. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    socal lurker repped this.
  7. nylaw5

nylaw5 Member

Jan 24, 2002
    West Coast
    So here's where VAR is going to hurt referees at the lower levels - the referee made a bad decision here - the VAR did too - but he never would have been in that position if the PK wasn't given. I feel like so much time is spent now on judging reviews and less time on trying to eliminate the mistakes in the first place.

So let's do what this board should be doing on this stuff:

- look at how fast this play develops into a PK/no PK decision. 5 seconds from the initial cross, to in front of the AR, then another cross back into "foul". That's a really short amount of time to change your position and area of focus.

- Petrescu is not the quickest ref in the MLS. He doesn't have Villareal or Geiger's fast first step. When the initial cross goes in - this is a time to try and be dynamic and get a jump on the play.

- When he does get closer, his angle is really poor for seeing this contact. He is almost directly in line with the penalty mark and so he is having to turn attention from where the ball is coming from, to where it is landing. If he were a few yards back in his corner, he'd have more time to turn his attention.

There's a lot more to talk through. The body movement of the fall, the way the defensive player positions himself, etc......all useful discussions for the thousands of us who don't someone sitting in a booth.

jarbitro and Ghastly Officiating repped this.