2018 MLS Week 16 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by bhooks, Jun 12, 2018.

1. bhooks

bhooks Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The assignments for Week 16 of the 2018 Major League Soccer season:

06/13/2018

Columbus Crew v Atlanta United
    MAPFRE Stadium (7:30PM ET)
    REF: TED UNKEL
    AR1: KYLE ATKINS
    AR2: TJ ZABLOCKI
    4TH: HILARIO GRAJEDA
    VAR: BALDOMERO TOLEDO

Montreal Impact v Orlando City
    Saputo Stadium (7:30PM ET)
    REF: ARMANDO VILLARREAL
    AR1: CJ MORGANTE
    AR2: RICHARD GAMACHE
    4TH: ALAN KELLY
    VAR: KEVIN TERRY JR.

New York Red Bulls v Seattle Sounders
    Red Bull Arena (8PM ET)
    REF: ALLEN CHAPMAN
    AR1: COREY PARKER
    AR2: ANDREW BIGELOW
    4TH: CHRISTOPHER PENSO
    VAR: JORGE GONZALEZ

Toronto FC v D.C. United
    BMO Field (8PM ET)
    REF: ROBERT SIBIGA
    AR1: JASON WHITE
    AR2: OSCAR MITCHELL-CARVALHO
    4TH: ISMIR PEKMIC
    VAR: SORIN STOICA

Colorado Rapids v Chicago Fire
    Dick’s Sporting Goods Park (9PM ET)
    REF: JOSE CARLOS RIVERO
    AR1: ADAM WIENCKOWSKI
    AR2: KYLE LONGVILLE
    4TH: NIMA SAGHAFI
    VAR: YOUNES MARRAKCHI

San Jose Earthquakes v New England Revolution
    Avaya Stadium (10:30PM ET)
    REF: DAVE GANTAR
    AR1: IAN ANDERSON
    AR2: JONATHAN JOHNSON
    4TH: DANIEL RADFORD
    VAR: KEVIN STOTT

2. bhooks

bhooks Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    For anyone wondering why there are so few matches and why they are midweek, the US Open Cup Round of 16 is taking place between 6/15 and 6/20

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's the secondary reason. MLS shut down this coming weekend due to the World Cup. USSF then gave teams the option of when to play their Round of 16 game in that time period because MLS had no league games scheduled.

4. bhooks

bhooks Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If I recall correctly, at least in the past, didn't MLS give the teams the option to play during the international break(s)?

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For WCQ and friendly breaks yes. I think the league has always determined for everyone as a whole if there will be games during the World Cup and how long the break without games will be.

6. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Pekmic with his first fourth, love to see that as a fellow Minnesotan!

7. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's great to see. I never met him when I was there, but I'm glad to see another MN referee make it to the big leagues.

8. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    Also, TFC and DCU originally had this week off but their match on Wednesday was rescheduled from earlier in the season when TFC asked for it to be moved due to the CONCACAF CL.

YoungRef87 and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  9. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A really interesting use of VAR in Colorado. A high foot leads to studs grazing the face of a Colorado player. Rivero calls the foul and no misconduct is given. Colorado is not complaining about the lack of a card and appears to be in a position to take the FK fairly quickly. However, two substitutes are ready to enter the match which prevents play from restarting. After a minute or so, the subs have happened and then JCR gives the VAR signal. The OFR confirms SFP and the Chicago player is sent off.

I suspect if the subs were not ready to go that play restarts without the VAR having the opportunity to have the restart held. It also raises the issue again of "what happens if the player is subbed before VAR alerts the referee of a check?"

jarbitro repped this.
  10. incognitoind

incognitoind Member

Apr 8, 2015
    There is no time limit for checking. As soon as the VAR had a question they were telling him to hold the restart

11. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point is if the subs weren't ready to go Colorado may take a quick FK there. No one on the field suspected SFP and I doubt the VAR would have been quick enough to stop a quick free kick.

I'm not saying anything was mishandled. I'm just pointing out a very strange scenario where SFP could have been missed and not reviewed because of a quick restart if it wasn't for subs waiting.

usaref repped this.
  12. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I need to look at this but after a potential disaster last year, PRO has made it clear to not allow substitutions while a VAR check is happening or possible. It will prevent the disaster if the need for a check is immediately clear. But if it takes awhile to become cognizant of an off-the-ball VC, then no one really has the answer.

13. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, I need to look. But you’d be surprised how quickly most VARs are able to say “delay delay delay,” which is the justification a CR needs to hold everything up.

That said, some VARs are slower than others. If all this sticks around, 5 years from now we will be laughing at how primitive all these practices were and how bad some people were at them. We are learning to fly the plane as it gets built.

14. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Rivero considered a check to be possible there. The player who he eventually sent off was already on a yellow too. Not a single Colorado player even raised their hand asking for a 2nd yellow much less a straight red. I'm curious to see your full thoughts after you watch it.

EDIT: I saw your latest post. Still curious to see your opinion when you get around to watching it.

15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched the highlight on the MLS app, which leaves a lot to be desired and does not allow for any analysis of the stoppage.

I will say they I don’t think that qualifies as clearly wrong. Red is desirable when we are all sitting in. a hotel conference room. But do 90% of people who view they clip think it had to be red? Is that a clear red in MLS Cup if it happens in the 10th minute? These are the sort of questions that need to be asked. Because VR should lead to objectivity. And I can’t accept the idea that the challenge in question—one which the aggrieved team didn’t really notice—needs to be red in all MLS matches.

16. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't know without hearing the audio, but I suppose (hope?) Rivero may have asked to make sure the substituted players had nothing to do with the check.

It's absolutely a red, though. Not really sure how you call the foul and completely miss the misconduct, especially with a player who's already been booked, but I suppose that's why we have the VAR.

17. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's play YOU MAKE THE CALL!

I've got penalty (missed review), no offside, and prefer red but probably not clear and obvious SFP for a review.

18. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) That's a PK.

2) He's on but a good flash lag example at full speed.

3) I went yellow. I will note that this did have an on field review with Villareal staying with his original decision of a yellow.

19. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Missed that there was a review. I think it's fine to go red real time, but I agree that it's not clear and obvious and should not have been reviewed. PRO should be happy with the outcome, at least.

20. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Why is the offside decision even in the sequence?
    1 - In the pro game that's trifling contact and the attacker makes a full blown meal out of it.
    2 - Not offside, and not as close as it looks.
    3 - Either color is defensible here, but I'd prefer red.

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? He kicked him in the calf with just about the same force he was trying to use to clear a ball out of his penalty area. Nothing about that screams "trifling" to me--don't be fooled by the slo-mo.

The bigger question, at least if we're talking about potential VAR intervention, is whether or not the existence of VR has changed expectations. Because this is the kind of foul that usually gets missed or excused because they were both going for the ball, there was no real attacking opportunity, and players just don't expect the penalty. So if a penalty isn't expected, is the "no penalty" decision clearly wrong? Or is the clearly wrong standard for intervention simply about the existence of the foul or not? I still think that isn't sorted out and isn't close to being sorted out. And that's a problem.

EDIT to say I agree with your other two conclusions. Offside isn't close and though I prefer red, there's been a movement toward erring on yellow when challenges like these are low to the ground. I think it's a dangerous trend, but it is what it is.

22. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Subjective sure but I mean are you giving a PK for that? Opinion is simply based on what I have seen given and not given in MLS. You said it yourself a PK call is not expected here, and I think that was true pre-VAR era. There is contact but if there's not a foul it has to be considered trifling right? I actually thought the whole thing looked less severe at full speed.