2018 MLS Week 11 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by bhooks, May 8, 2018.

1. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could be wrong, but I thought the "clear and obvious" didn't apply to offside. Or is that exception only true in FIFA contests? Assuming MLS and FIFA have the same instructions, which they may not, but offside error doesn't have to be clear and obvious.

BTW: I love that Elfath didn't go to the screen. Although remember the Austrailian final where the VAR got a reversal wrong because he wasn't looking at the right part of the play? That play made me wonder if it is wise to have the R or AR look at the screen instead of going with VAR blindly. Here it looks like it worked out.

JasonMa repped this.
  2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At 2:35 of the video, the pass before was to an offside player. I don't know if VAR looked at all the passes or just the last one. On the final pass, the attacker and defender's feet were close. The attacker's arm, which you can't score with, was offside. The attacker's head was close but I would say offside.

JasonMa repped this.
  3. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    On the DOGSO, I’m having trouble seeing a clear error. I don’t see a foul until after the pull down after the defender plays the ball, which bounces forward off the attacker. I presume Stott thought that distance to ball (given where the GK was) meant the GSO was not obvious, hence the yellow. I don’t think that was clearly wrong (or clearly right). Perhaps there is something on a different angle that might show an earlier foul, which would support DOGSO?

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  4. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    According to a few journalists I know that cover TFC, they were informed earlier this season that, yes indeed, "clear and obvious" was required for offside position.

Which seems to be opposite to what IFAB has been pushing for the last ~18 months.

5. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    But clear and obvious for an objective decision is going to very different than clear an obvious for a subjective one. With the tools at their disposal, a clear and obvious offside error could be an inch.

6. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Portland-Seattle was interesting. Looking forward to figuring out how Blanco escaped a yellow after donning a mask to celebrate his goal. The fact that he earned a yellow in stoppage time compounded the error. And then just to top it off, the VAR recommended a review on the tackle, but the decision didn't change.

YoungRef87 repped this.
  7. ChelseaSounder

Nov 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three possible red card challenges in Portland v Seattle. Think they probably got them right, and they were certain ly consistent.

Blancos should have been a second yellow, though. No card for using a prop in a goal celebration.

100 minutes on the clock at the end of the second half.

8. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Oh please....put a sock in it! :whistling:

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  9. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I agree with this -- but it's not clear what they mean by "clear and obvious" when it comes to offside position, because this year, there's been ones that have been 4-6" offside on a goal not pulled back, and ones that have been 1-2" offside that have.

My biggest issue with VAR continues to be:

Communication with the fans in the stadium is atrocious (and that's being generous).

This could be improved by (for an offside call) showing one of those graphics on the big screen where they rotate the camera around 360 degrees to show the offside position of the player for example.

akindc repped this.
  10. Lucky Wilbury

Lucky Wilbury Member

Mar 19, 2012
    United States
    When it comes to boundary lines, "clear and obvious" can be an inch, in reality. It's in an area or it's not, and the painted line makes it clear and also obvious.

An offside decision close to the penalty area camera is not going to be as clear cut as the example above, but the lines provide a fairly reliable framework to judge offside position. (See the call in Houston a few weeks ago that happened right on the 18.)

While the scorer's body is ahead of the kicker, he seems to be level with the ball. I think this is a good correction, but it is oh so close of a decision.

The cameras are generally on the top of the PA. The further the play is away from the camera, the more difficult it is to say that the video evidence is clear. Especially if the player's position is not near a mow stripe.

If this same decision was 6 yards downfield or 10 yards upfield, the VAR would not have been able to have a definitive opinion on the play.

I agree. I blame stadium operations & the in-stadium announcer. Their choice to not show a decision is really astounding. Additionally, if the definitive replay is shown, yet the in-stadium announcer doesn't tell the fans "hey, look at the screen", most fans will miss the replay that happens after the play restarts.

Attached Files:

• COL.jpg
      COL.jpg
      File size:
      48.9 KB
      Views:
  11. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I caught this in real-time over the weekend. I was appalled. No comprehension of what a foul is. No idea how VAR works. And no clue that "this referee" has been in the league since its inception. I can't say enough how awful it was.

I agree that this seems like text book DOGSO to me. If I saw this with one look in my match, I'd be going red. It just looks and feels like DOGSO. It's a cynical foul to grab a guy through on goal after the defender made a bad play on the ball.

With that said, I had two different discussions yesterday (one with a ref, one with a friend who is a fan) where they both essentially said "how is this DOGSO, guy was never going to get the ball?" (essentially the @doog argument above). I stand by my initial assessment that the attacker had a very good chance of getting the ball first and that red is a good decision.

But the fact that reasonable people are looking at that play and coming to the same conclusion Stott initially made brings me back to the VAR issue. What criteria did Stott use to determine his initial decision was clearly wrong? What piece of evidence did Marrakchi focus on to send this down? And why did it take so long to get sent down? This is a judgment call, not an objective decision. If it took Marrakchi that long to determine Stott might be wrong, maybe it just shouldn't have been reviewed.

12. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    upload_2018-5-14_11-1-10.png

This picture of Orlando City's Will Johnson after the late non-foul was, IMO, correctly not called just screams for a caption.

rh89 and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  13. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geiger's last match (and his last major last call) before the World Cup is available here, along with some interesting quotes from Michael Bradley:

http://www.espn.com/soccer/toronto-...-discretion-after-sebastian-giovinco-red-card

It's good of Bradley to stipulate that this is supposed to be a red card. So despite his on-field protests, he's conceding that Geiger got the decision correct.

But his point about discretion is an interesting one in the VAR age. In the pre-VAR era, if Geiger only partially sees this (like he apparently did here) maybe he manages it with a yellow or a talking-to. There are ways to keep Giovinco on the field there and, frankly, there might not always be the expectation from the opponent that he will get sent off. Now, with VAR, it's black and white. Once Geiger goes to the monitor, he really has no choice (unless you want to start an argument about the force being negligible here, but I don't believe that this is an example of what that clause is written for).

Anyway, our top World Cup referee just used VR to send off one of the best players in the league after he scored a goal for the type of VC that, historically, gets missed or maybe even excused. If and when this happens in Russia to, let's say, Messi, the reaction to the VAR system and the way FIFA treats the referee team in question will be very interesting.

YoungRef87, JasonMa and threeputzzz repped this.
  14. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m late to the party but a couple of comments/questions regarding the offside decision from Geiger. As many stated, this seems to be a reversal of what we were initially instructed to see as deliberate 4-5 years ago when this first came out.

In typical fashion however we have no formal change in the law law’s language, just the standard “you didn’t understand what we meant”. Never an admission of error on their part.

With regard the concept that players have to be balanced, well positioned and in control (or however you want to word it) with regard to a deliberate play. How does that apply to jumpin and heading the ball? The way I see it, a player that stays on the ground and is lunging or kicking out to get a ball is certainly in more control and has better balance of their body than someone that jumps and it flicks off their head. Yet I have not seen any instance where a player that jumped and contacted the ball was ruled to have deflected it instead of played it.

Is this a third standard we now need to consider for what deliberate means?

My biggest gripe, as others have said, is that while I can stomach saying “deliberate” has a specific meaning with regard to the laws, that doesn’t necessarily translate to normal language, it should at least mean the same thing within those laws, wherever it is used.

And in regard to the announcers comments, do we think that type of criticism would be accepted in any other sport in the US? This is getting to be a joke.

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  15. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    See I don't see it the same way as you. Decision to not show a red card initially is CLEARLY wrong to me. If this were in the World Cup or at the CL Final Kiev, and no red would be shown it would be absolutely scandalous.

I don't know why or how Stott came to the conclusion to not show the red card, initially. When he did go and review it he barely went over and looked at the screen before he realized he made a mistake. For a referee that has, historically, been on the more conservative side of DOGSO over the years to take one look at his initial decision and change his mind tells me everything.

I can, kind of, understand and see the argument about touch being too heavy just from a technicality stand point. I remember when USSF was emphasizing the 4Ds and referees were not giving red cards when attackers were trying to go around the goal keeper. They said the "direction" wasn't there because he was going "straight" towards goal. Instead of 90 degrees or 0 degrees depending on how you look it was more like 95/85 or 5 degrees away from goal when they tried to go around the goal keeper.

I feel like this is the same argument that some could try and make here. Yes, there is a chance that he might not get to the ball, but the cynicism of the foul overrides that there.

The spirit of the law and what "football expects" clearly overrides that there. Everyone expects a red card for a cynical play like that.

I have no issue with a review here. I think this is what VAR was brought in for. To me there is no judgment or "in the opinion of the referee" for a play like this. Football expects a red card.

I can't say the same about the decision about Geiger to disallow the goal in the Atlanta and Sporting KC match. That genuinely is a play that can go either way. Stott's is not.

16. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #91 jarbitro, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
    I'm glad they sent him off, but this is lazy refereeing that it wasn't caught in real time. A one goal game, the goal scorer grabs the ball (which is not his to grab) and then runs up field with it, I mean at a U-17 game you'd expect problems there. The 4th should have seen it, the trailing AR should have seen it, and certainly the referee shouldn't have "taken his eyes off the ball" on this. Marrufo's go to move on those PK's is for him to get the ball himself from the goal scorer. I'm not saying that is the right thing to do, but there really isn't an excuse for missing this in real time.

17. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. FootyPDX

FootyPDX Member

Portland Timbers
    England
    Nov 21, 2017
    The most important thing for you to remember is that the refs are always right, especially when using VAR. Definitions can and will be changed after a call to prove how right that call was. You're just a guy with a keyboard so you don't know this.

19. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What?

20. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Our local conspiracy theorist . . .

fairplayforlife repped this.
  21. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FootyPDX is convinced this was a massive conspiracy to protect Geiger before the World Cup and not a correct decision made by a top referee and VAR.

22. FootyPDX

FootyPDX Member

Portland Timbers
    England
    Nov 21, 2017
    It was just a poke at the local "everything PRO does it right" moderator.

No conspiracy, I just don't think that the head of PRO would come out say that his "top ref" got the interpretation of "deliberate" wrong right before he's set to go to Russia. I might agree with the call if there hadn't been very similar calls with the exact opposite explanation from PRO. Either way, I don't have a dog in the fight, it's just funny to watch PRO apologists do rules interpretation gymnastics to explain how deliberately doing something isn't deliberate, but only sometimes.

23. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    "Jet fuel can't melt steel beams.."

24. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    Just watched those idiot announcers from the Philly game. They sound like a couple of dads freaking out over a call in their sons’ U15 game.

25. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah. Dead-on. You've nailed me with this label. I feel so embarrassed that I won't respond to the rest of your post, pushing the conspiracy theory that is definitely not a conspiracy theory.

roby repped this.