2018 MLS Week 11 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by bhooks, May 8, 2018.

1. bhooks

bhooks Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The assignments for Week 11 of the 2018 Major League Soccer season:

05/09/2018

Atlanta United v Sporting Kansas City
    Mercedes-Benz Stadium (7:30PM ET)
    REF: MARK GEIGER
    AR1: JOE FLETCHER
    AR2: FRANK ANDERSON
    4TH: JOSE CARLOS RIVERO
    VAR: EDVIN JURISEVIC

Columbus Crew v Philadelpiha Union
    MAPFRE Stadium (7:30PM ET)
    REF: RAMY TOUCHAN
    AR1: IAN ANDERSON
    AR2: COREY PARKER
    4TH: ROBERT SIBIGA
    VAR: ALAN KELLY

Toronto FC v Seattle Sounders
    BMO Field (7:30PM ET)
    REF: TED UNKEL
    AR1: ADAM GARNER
    AR2: RICHARD GAMACHE
    4TH: ARMANDO VILLARREAL
    VAR: CHRISTOPHER PENSO

Chicago Fire v Montreal Impact
    Toyota Stadium (8:30PM ET)
    REF: SORIN STOICA
    AR1: ANDREW BIGELOW
    AR2: OSCAR MITCHELL-CARVALHO
    4TH: FOTIS BAZAKOS
    VAR: HILARIO GRAJEDA

Los Angeles FC v Minnesota United
    Banc of California Stadium (10PM ET)
    REF: SILVIU PETRESCU
    AR1: KYLE ATKINS
    AR2: LOGAN BROWN
    4TH: ALEJANDRO MARISCAL
    VAR: ALLEN CHAPMAN

05/11/2018

Vancouver Whitecaps v Houston Dynamo
    BC Place (10:30PM ET)
    REF: HILARIO GRAJEDA
    AR1: JEFFREY GREESON
    AR2: CAMERON BLANCHARD
    4TH: DREW FISCHER
    VAR: JORGE GONZALEZ

05/12/2018

Minnesota United v San Jose Earthquakes
    TCF Bank Stadium (2PM ET)
    REF: VICTOR RIVAS
    AR1: COREY PARKER
    AR2: TJ ZABLOCKI
    4TH: SORIN STOICA
    VAR: RAMY TOUCHAN

Montreal Impact v Philadelphia Union
    State Saputo (3PM ET)
    REF: KEVIN STOTT
    AR1: BRIAN DUNN
    AR2: JEREMY KIESO
    4TH: SILVIU PETRESCU
    VAR: YOUNES MARRAKCHI

FC Dallas v LA Galaxy
    Toyota Field (3:30PM ET)
    REF: JOSE CARLOS RIVERO
    AR1: JEFF HOSKING
    AR2: JOSE DA SILVA
    4TH: ARMANDO VILLARREAL
    VAR: ALEX CHILOWICZ

Columbus Crew v Chicago Fire
    MAPFRE Stadium (7:30PM ET)
    REF: ALLEN CHAPMAN
    AR1: ADAM WIENCKOWSKI
    AR2: MICHAEL KAMPMEINERT
    4TH: MARCOS DEOLIVEIRA
    VAR: EDVIN JURISEVIC

New England Revolution v Toronto FC
    Gillette Stadium (7:30PM ET)
    REF: MARK GEIGER
    AR1: FRANK ANDERSON
    AR2: DANNY THORNBERRY
    4TH: DAVID BARRIE
    VAR: LUIS GUARDIA

Colorado Rapids v New York Red Bulls
    Dick’s Sporting Goods Park (9PM ET)
    REF: ISMAIL ELFATH
    AR1: EDUARDO MARISCAL
    AR2: CHRIS WATTAM
    4TH: NIMA SAGHAFI
    VAR: BALDOMERO TOLEDO

Real Salt Lake v D.C. United
    Rio Tinto Stadium (9PM ET)
    REF: RUBIEL VAZQUEZ
    AR1: KYLE ATKINS
    AR2: KEVIN KLINGER
    4TH: ALEJANDRO MARISCAL
    VAR: JON FREEMON

05/13/2018

Portland Timbers v Seattle Sounders
    Providence Park (4PM ET)
    REF: ROBERT SIBIGA
    AR1: JASON WHITE
    AR2: BRIAN POESCHEL
    4TH: DANIEL RADFORD
    VAR: JORGE GONZALEZ

Orlando City v Atlanta United
    Orlando City Stadium (6PM ET)
    REF: ALAN KELLY
    AR1: MATTHEW NELSON
    AR2: IAN ANDERSON
    4TH: GUIDO GONZALES JR
    VAR: DAVE GANTAR

Los Angeles FC v New York City
    Banc of California Stadium (8:30PM ET)
    REF: CHRISTOPHER PENSO
    AR1: JEREMY HANSON
    AR2: NICK URANGA
    4TH: BALDOMERO TOLEDO
    VAR: KEVIN TERRY JR

2. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two rookie whistles this week!

frankieboylampard repped this.
  3. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will Touchan be the first CR to have done games in both MLS and the NWSL in the same year? There are several others who have done both in different years.

4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Petrescu is the latest referee to return to duty after clearing fitness a few weeks ago. I believe that is the last returnee you'll see for awhile.

These are likely Geiger's last whistles before the World Cup. Marrufo will have one next week and then they are tied up with FIFA duty (or they get a one week break before getting tied up--either way, it's effectively the same for their MLS work).

David Barrie as a FO is also noteworthy. I don't think it's a guarantee he'll get a whistle this summer, but his move from VAR to FO here certainly opens the door and I'd expect to see him again.

5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think so, yes. There used to be a lot of overlap with WUSA. Then there was overlap between MLS FOs and WPS CRs. But there really hasn't been a ton of MLS-NWSL overlap in the same season before, so I suspect you're right.

6. Baka_Shinpan

Baka_Shinpan Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Between the posts
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  7. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I'll be interested in the consensus on this. I saw a deliberate play by the defender and no offside - but I'm prejudiced.

Baka_Shinpan repped this.
  8. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    That kind of play has been, several times in the past, declared as a deflection by PRO.

UEFA, on the other hand, pushes for that to be a deliberate play.

Overall, the defender is about 7m from the point of the kick by the attacker and, to me, he makes a deliberate play, trying to stop that ball from going through. Kicks it in a direction that he may not be too happy with... and well... I don't see an issue with the original call.

GoDawgsGo and code1390 repped this.
  9. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on the examples on the PRO AR website, this isn't even close. It's a deflection and offside.

rh89 repped this.
  10. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A save has to come from a shot. It was a pass out wide, so that's not plausible.

Simply a debate of deliberate vs deflection.

If PRO agrees with Geiger's interpretation it would be rather helpful if they explain why.

The entire premise of the change and putting more of an onus on defenders to make better plays is to see more goals. This should be a goal. It's quite impossible to lunge towards a ball and not do so deliberately.

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  11. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure they will with the play of the week on the website. There might be something from the POTW during the last couple seasons, but I don't want to look back.

So here's two examples from PROs quiz and their reasoning.

[​IMG]

This is a deliberate play and onside. PRO: "Defender moved towards the ball and there is distance and time for him to make a deliberate play."

[​IMG]

This is a deflection and offside. PRO: "Defender did not have body control to play the ball and the ball comes to him. Yes, this is one of those that falls in the grey area, but a consideration of deliberate play is body control."

This falls between those two. For me, the clear sign is the defenders stretch. He doesn't have body control to make a deliberate play on the ball. Hopefully PRO covers it this week so I can get more confirmation.

[​IMG]

Most referees I work with at the youth level have been calling this deliberate. Most information from PRO says this is a deflection. The deliberate/deflection debate is one of the big gaps of interpretation that I see between youth and pros.

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is accurate on a wide-scale, then it's got to be one of the most counter intuitive things going on in refereeing. Youth players have less control over their bodies, less skill overall, and are less likely to be guilty of the sort of true misplay that should reset offside. It's the opposite for professional players.

To the play in question, I think it falls squarely in the grey area. For me, that lends itself toward letting the goal stand on video review because it's not clearly wrong. That said, no one knows the current FIFA instructions--both on VAR and offside--than Geiger. Except Fletcher (relative to offside), of course.

That might be my only quibble or the only surprise for me here. VAR protocols allow the referee to bring an AR over to the monitor to help him in situations related to offside (if it's an on-field review, then it's not about offside position--it's become subjective). Given Fletcher is the guy who kept his flag down when offside position was abundantly clear to him (you can see Fletcher in the background explaining to Vermes what he did and why), I wonder if Geiger considered asking Fletcher to come take another look himself.

13. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

At the pro and international level I expect this to be a goal.

As an instructor that's primarily teaching 9s and 8s, I'd tell them to heavily consider the athleticism and agility of the players involved and that this situation is more likely to be a deflection for most of the players they are refereeing.

Also, this didn't happen on Fletcher's side. It was Anderson.

14. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think when the clarification came out a few years ago, it was taught to the mortals at the bottom of the totem pole (like me!) as "did the defender play the ball or did the ball play the defender". It was a familiar mindset from handling decisions and those instructors probably felt it was the best way to communicate the intricacies of law 11 to the average ref.

Clearly PRO and presumably FIFA have set the bar quite a bit higher for a deliberate play and, in my opinion, that information has not made it down to the grade 7s and 8s.

Baka_Shinpan repped this.
  15. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the bar is this high for professional players, why has there even been a change? (rhetorical question)

If this isn't a deliberate play for professionals, aren't we just going back 5 years to the way it used to be?

16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, my bad. Then half my post is irrelevant. Sorry about that.

17. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bar moved some. Look at the Lovren play from Liverpool/Spurs. Onside now. Offside then.

18. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm confused, particularly when reading your post as a response to @GoDawgsGo 's question, so just clarifying... by "then," you mean Lovren was offside five years ago but he's onside today? Or you mean Lovren should have been called offside in that game but he's onside today? In other words, when are you saying the "bar moved?"

To follow-up here, I think the big point here is that if Lovren was correctly called onside, then there is a compelling case for the MLS goal to have stood last night. If Lovren is offside, then last night's goal was definitely offside.

19. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Kane onside, Lovern's play made him so. ;)

But yes, if that's an "onside" play, then this one should be too.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  20. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a few clarifications in interpretation of Law 11 about five years ago that was widely reported (wrongly) as the "new offside law". Anyone can correct me, but I remember a shift towards the attackers with FIFA expanding the scope of what a deliberate play was. Maybe I'm just losing my mind. It wouldn't be the first time.

As for the Lovren vs this debate, I think the big difference is body control. Lovern was not making what was effectively an uncontrolled stretch. He just misplayed the ball. IMO, the SKC player didn't have the opportunity to make a controlled play on the ball, only a wild stab/kick out, which appears to be enough to make this offside.

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm making some clear and obvious errors this morning.

JasonMa repped this.
  22. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but since it was a matter of fact and not opinion, we can get involved even if it wasn't obvious.

JasonMa and jarbitro repped this.
  23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, you're absolutely right. And I think that was the point @GoDawgsGo was making. Given those clarifications about 5 years ago, one could reasonably land at the conclusion that last night's goal was onside or, at the least, could be defended as being onside.

But it seems PRO is leaning in the other direction and our top international referee, with the benefit of video (so it basically becomes an instructional clip) said offside. Given that sort of instruction and decision, he was asking if we've moved back in the other direction, toward where we were 5 years ago.

I think that's reasonable, but I think that's also where we get firmly into the grey area of these sort of things. How far away from the ball did the SKC have to be for this to turn from a deliberate play into a deflection? Another 3 yards? 5? 10? This same exact play is absolutely onside at a certain point. Defining that point seems rather arbitrary.

24. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If @yossarian is trying to figure out if this is onside or offside by reading this thread, it can be summarized by ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Hopefully PRO will clarify in their Play of the Week. I'm still leaning towards offside. A few others towards onside. This was certainly in the grey area.

25. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is only my opinion and it's based on my observations from PRO and UEFA clips. I think the pendulum might have swung a bit too much towards deliberate play when the interpretations came out about five years ago and there has been movement from PRO/FIFA/UEFA to bring the pendulum back in. It feels that the "magic line" will end up being further towards deliberate play compared to before 2013, but maybe not as much as we first saw around 2014.