2018 MLS Week 1 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by bhooks, Feb 27, 2018.

1. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VAR got involved with a PK in Kansas City. Geiger took about 10 seconds at the TV screen before waving it off. I initially thought it was a PK, but I think it was the correct decision after seeing the replay from the touch line that VAR used.

2. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    and now another VAR decision with a send off and freekick just outside the penalty area.

At least he's been decisive and quick about it

3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Although IMO he should have gotten the FK and red without VAR.

jarbitro repped this.
  4. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    And there need to be new ref uniforms every two years because???

It’s just plain silly.

5. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because referees can be forced to buy the new style and Adidas makes more $$$.

Geko repped this.
  6. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, for the same reason national teams get new uniforms. Of course it’s partly money. But every major tournament gets a “look” that becomes part of soccer history. And the visual of the referees plays a role in that—it wouldn’t feel right anymore if referees were wearing the same style and look for 3 or 4 tournaments.

Adidas has done pretty well. But I think they’ve fallen flat this time.

Geko repped this.
  7. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If VAR was used like this all the time, I think I could live with it. It was pretty quick and I think the right call was made in both cases (though it took the last angle I saw to finally convince me). The ball that led to the send-off on the second VAR review was a long ball over the top. I can see why Geiger would have had a tough time to keep up with that long ball. If anything, the AR should have had a good view and been able to see the foul and the position.

Bottom line, however, is that the right call was made and VAR did its job in a manner that didn't disrupt the game's flow all that much.

8. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In England where the VAR has the magic lines, this is probably called offside. Not in MLS though.

[​IMG]

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's damn close. Its any part of the body that can legally play the ball of the defender that sets the line, right? If that Portland defender is leading at all towards goal (hard to tell from the angle) he could be onside.

10. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct that it's the part of the body that can play the ball. In cases like this when the camera isn't directly in line with the offside line, the defenders upper body looks closer to the goal line than it really is. Even when the defender is leaning, his shoulder is more or less directly above his foot. You can try this at home. Stand with two feet on the ground and lean towards the side. You'll notice you can't lean very far without falling on your face.

So it's possible the defenders shoulder is a couple inches closer to the goal line than his left foot, but it wouldn't be a foot or two.

JasonMa repped this.
  11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what the case is in this circumstance, but you can lean much further when in motion than from a standing start. So a "home test" isn't really proof of much.

12. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But in this case the defender is standing still with two feet planted on the ground.

13. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Literally the only explanation that makes sense here is that the VAR felt the video showed it was outside the area and thus not eligible for further review. No question it was a missed foul call, at minimum.

14. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that the red card, at least, was clear regardless of the position of the foul.

15. Geko

Geko Member

Sacremento Geckos
    United States
    May 25, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've wondered if I'm just crazy when it comes to "the look" with kits. But from a super-over-analyzing perspective, I'm sure there's a social psychology effect that having "older looking" uniforms would have on players. "Refs can't even get new shirts", "referee looks like they've been wearing that since the 90's", etc. I've noticed it even at lower leagues with the new OSI shirts. Referees just look better. They can be just as good or worse than they were last year, but they look the part.

GoDawgsGo and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do think money certainly drives most of this and certainly drove Adidas to have different kits for the UCL and UEL. The more they can put on television, the more they can sell (though the abandonment of the policy in the UEL shows their are market limits).

But I also think there are a number of very good reasons why the kits get rotated regularly at the professional level. You've hit on another one. A parallel reason is the push for referees to look more like athletes. That's why you saw the collars changed and adapted throughout the past 16 years or so to stay--for the most part--in line with what players were wearing at the same time.

Again, this version just seems inexplicable, though. It's a bad look all around. It also doesn't help that at the professional level that Adidas does not seem to account for all the technology the referee must wear on his arm when making the sizes and cuts. Everything just looks sloppier now. Hopefully the technological equipment gets smaller over time, but until it does it's going to be hard to have a clean look for most referees when they wear short sleeves.

17. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I'm not opposed to change and staying current. But every two years seems to me to be change for change's sake more than change to stay current and sharp. Shrug. But so long as USSF doesn't try to match and stays with a 5-6 year cycle, it doesn't affect me.

18. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everything is driven by the World Cup and EUROs. If UEFA didn't want its own look for the EUROs, we might be on a 4-year cycle. But that's not going to happen.

19. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    how much money do they realistically make off of this though? we're talking a handful of officials who have the uniforms provided to them by ??? (league, federation, somebody) right? At that level the referees aren't buying their own uniforms, are they? And it's not like wannabe top level referees can use these uniforms if they choose to buy them since their own federation or league mandates something else. Or are there countries that require their referees to wear whatever junk adidas put out for the World Cup or Euros or CL? By the time they pay for designing and manufacturing these uniforms there can't be too much money left

20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a big part of your answer. I have a friend in Switzerland who officiates in their third and fourth divisions. Sure, the first division guys get the kits free (just like in MLS), but the levels below have to purchase their own kits to stay current. And those purchases have a trickle-down effect. Multiply that across a bunch of other countries that have Adidas at the top of their pyramids.

I think Nike's strong push into the referee apparel world for the professional level has probably mitigated this phenomenon some and might be a key reason why Adidas isn't trying as hard and pushing as radical change and multiple alternatives as often as it did in the past.

GlennAA11 repped this.
  21. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the VAR reviews in Orlando got me concerned about the placement of the monitors vis-a-vis the crowd. The monitor looked to be in the place of 3-4 seats in the first row, with fans surrounding it on three sides. And in a heated game, having the referee standing more or less in the midst of the crowd seems like a recipe for trouble.

YoungRef87, Geko and frankieboylampard repped this.
  22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without ever explicitly saying it, the first week of MLSSoccer.com's Instant Replay does an excellent job showing that the "clear and obvious" standard for awarding a penalty is astronomically higher than the supposedly same standard for overturning a penalty call.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...s-pk-shout-valid-instant-replay?autoplay=true

I can accept Geiger's decision to reverse his own penalty call--even if, as one of the commentators insists, there still can be an argument that it was a foul. I think most reasonable soccer observers and referees would say that's a challenge that is usually deemed fair if seen properly, so if he and the VAR want to say it was clearly and obviously wrong, that's fine.

But how does one referee wipe off that penalty via VR while the Vela penalty appeal and the tackle on Ciani are not given? It is comical that, with the benefit of replay, those two penalties were not awarded (honestly, they should have both been given in real-time but, hey, things get missed and this is why we have VARs now... er, wait a second...).

The VAR system isn't improving anything if it's just going to ignore penalties. And it's going to be particularly harmful when overturning "bad" penalty calls is easier and/or more likely than awarding clearly missed penalty decisions. Oh, and then you have the added layer of confusion where the handling decision in Orlando is given as a penalty via VAR; that one could certainly be deemed correct, but how is that handling clear and obvious when the two tackles weren't?

We'll keep hearing from everyone who has a stake in this that there has been nothing but positive results and statistics will show 97% success rates. But when you take everything into account, it's still a mess. Geiger seemed to use VAR well and Bazakos did it appropriately (though very slowly) in two cases. That doesn't mean this is a success when the technology is not being used and applied the same way across the entire competition (nevermind from league to league).

GlennAA11, RedStar91 and JasonMa repped this.
  23. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    The hosts of Instant Replay this year are crap. WHERE IS SIMON BORG!?!?!?

24. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I really don't understand how the Vela play wasn't called in real time. Really inexplicable. I can understand not getting the location right of the foul, but it's as clear as day a foul.

On replay it seems pretty clear that it was in the penalty area. The defender himself was on the line when the foul was committed.

25. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Do make up calls happen?