2018 MLS SuperDraft thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, Nov 15, 2017.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know much besides what I've read, and what I see at the combine. I just formulate half-a$$ed opinions based on all that. Hopefully the Quakes are actually watching some of these top guys play multiple times in college...

markmcf8 repped this.
  2. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. Without a top draft pick, the stakes aren’t real, real high. But hopefully they’re ready to have an informed crapshoot at least. We’ve done reasonably well at times.

4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Wyatt Omsberg...Hmmm Kind of sounds Scandinavian in origin, our coach and GM seem to be leaning that way so maybe we should roll the dice for a speedy 6'-4" defender. :)

6. sacrxy

sacrxy BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 6, 2003
    Agree. You can't coach size. Can perhaps improve a bit with speed and agility. He has checked all these boxes already. Soccer brain is where coaching can make the most difference. I assume this guy is no dummy coming from an Ivy. If he is not a locker room poison, I think he has a lot of upside for our back line.

Beerking repped this.
  7. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, that was the point I was trying to make earlier in this thread. Maybe there is something innate or at this point unlearnable about soccer brain also but it seems like there is a better chance of improving that then there is the physical stuff. While it's true to some degree that soccer is not about size and speed, the Quakes have a team full of 5'7" midfielders with average speed. It is really homogenous in terms of physical makeup. Would it kill them to get someone outside that narrow band? If Ike Opara didn't struggle so much with injuries he would have been one of the best MLS defenders for the last five years or so.

8. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah!! Now there is some analysis I can get behind. Even if he spends the year in Reno, we're going to continue to need speedy attacking players into the far future, so this guy might be a good call.

Again, I haven't watched any college soccer this year. (What a bad a lazy boy.) But at least the thinking behind this is something I can get into.

Here's more good thinking!
    We need some young CBs, and again, even if this guy (or guys) spend a year or two with Reno, we will continue to have a need for tall central defenders going forward.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

Beerking repped this.
  9. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about this stuff either, but I'd up for scouting it!

[​IMG]

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

10. Tom Szabo

Tom Szabo Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    A lot of the soccer brain is actually natural and cannot be coached. It has little to do with "book" intelligence. A bit of it can be coached but very difficult especially at higher levels, there are so many other things going on in training and usually it's about the team not individual players. And if a player has to catch up just to understand the game at the prior level they played, forget about it. This doesn't mean that a guy like Omsberg shouldn't be selected, he does have a certain depth of understanding and seems genuinely interested in continually improving.

11. Tom Szabo

Tom Szabo Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What do you mean "unlearnable about soccer brain"? Soccer brain is all about learning, and the way that happens is the player having to figure it out on the field over hundreds of hours, continually improving their soccer brain as the level of competition increases. Only a few players can do this, it is not something that can be coached to a great extent. Of course it is always better to have a guy with great speed, size and soccer brain all combined. Nobody disputes that. But, neither great speed nor size by themselves will translate to success at the pro level. So lacking any actual skill much less soccer brain you simply must pass on the player as the chance for improvement is close to zero. Simply selecting on speed or size is so wrong and is exactly what keeps U.S. soccer in the dark ages.

12. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    What I actually wrote is that it may be "unlearnable at this point", actually giving you credit for your point of view that it takes countless hours, etc., and requires a certain aptitude. And yet it can't be entirely black and white - 100% either have it or you don't. There must be gradations in-between incredible soccer brain and no soccer brain. My point, once again, is that while it may take hundreds of hours, it is still at this point more "improvable" than physical characteristics. Did Ike Opara have a a great "soccer brain" when he came into the league? I don't think so. But he has always had great physical skills. And now he is Defender of the Year.

13. Tom Szabo

Tom Szabo Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah I guess there are gradients and you can always learn to some extent, and different people can learn different amounts regardless of age or development stage. So you are right there is no absolute "soccer brain". And you can even make an argument that some positions don't require the same extent or have as much importance. In MLS you can get away with having a CB who is almost purely physical (e.g. Muma). Of course by "get away with" it doesn't necessarily mean winning championships.

14. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Make it happen front office!

15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if I were to put money on a pick that's where id throw it. Hes one of those scandianavian-ese types and we need a center back in a bad way. transitive law......

Beerking repped this.
  16. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Well he definitely checks all the boxes, Tall, athletic and very fast and he fills a position that desperately needs filling. Even if he has to play a season in Reno I say we should try to grab him.

markmcf8 and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    with the dire level of central defenders we have right now, i dont even think a loan is necessary if we go that route. Hes guy 4, pushing for guy 3. Good spot to be IMO. If he can help the squad now, then dont gotta loan. and we know the notorious durability of SJE centerbacks, he will be called upon.

(still dont think itd be such a bad situation if JJ Kovall was still given a shot as a young centerback but thats not here or there. I bet the new regime would have given it a fair run out and hed still had been an option)

Beerking repped this.
  18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since many are now interested in one Swedish center back...

Of course the difference is that Wyatt Omsberg is one of the fastest guys at the combine, whereas Axel Sjoberg is slower than molasses. But Sjoberg is not only proven at the MLS level, but potentially Best XI level when healthy.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  19. Tom Szabo

Tom Szabo Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We can't go just by the combine performance test, but assuming the evidence is there that he actually plays with pace, then I think it would definitely be worthwhile to target him. But right now he is rising in the draft boards and may not be available at #12. Fiddes, Blackmon and Bye are other fast defenders (according to the combine performance test) who also have decent quality and might be good punts.

markmcf8 repped this.
  20. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like a lot of players that weren’t outside backs in college are projecting to need to change to that position, including the Portuguese CB that might go #1. So, it might turn out that Quakes will draft 2 guys pegged for that slot in the 1st two rounds. It just ups the issue of crapshoot, but with some guys looking okay despite being out of their comfort zone for position that could make a weak class turn out okay.
    Good chance if Quakes follow their history though, they will also draft someone that wasn’t even invited to the combine. Yeuill wasn’t a surprise, but I expect to end up surprised again this year.

21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This kid Guirassy who caught my eye on the first day and that I suggested would be a good second or third round pick now looks like he’ll go much higher, according to Matt Doyle:

There go my dreams of the Quakes picking up Omsberg and Guirassy...

...or maybe not, maybe just in the opposite order?

I don’t know how much I trust Bleacher Report... Actually let me rephrase that: I don’t trust anything on Bleacher Report.

markmcf8 repped this.
  22. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The draft pick prognosticators are always wildly wrong. They may get some of the top five picks, but after that, they are way off the mark.

Given that this is so, it is impossible for our staff to know who will be available and who won't when we pick. Therefore, I assume, and believe, that we have a long list of guys we're looking at, and cross off names as they get taken.

And yeah, we're likely to be surprised by at least one or two picks, or even that OUR team has picked someone we wanted them to pick!! Yippee!!

There are plenty of player available in the draft who are good, kit's just a question of picking those guys we can use, and being patient enough to let them develop. (Which might mean a season or two in Reno.)

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

23. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Omsberg getting some publicity on mlssoccer.com...

SuperDraft sleeper? Wyatt Omsberg carving rare path from Maine to MLS

While he entered the week overshadowed by fellow center back prospects Tomas Hilliard-Arce and Joao Moutinho, Omsberg has turned heads in Orlando. The 6-foot-4 defender performed well in physical testing last Friday, finishing tied for second in the 30-meter dash and tied for fourth in the 5-10-5 shuttle run. He was been solid in the first two Combine matches, rarely putting a foot wrong for Team Nemeziz.​

Apparently he models his game after a guy I wanted the Quakes to draft in 2012 when we threw away our pick on Sam fricking Garza instead of a future 2x MLS Best XI center back...

He attempted to model his game after FC Dallas and US national team center back Matt Hedges, who, like Omsberg, has a tall, lanky frame and is a solid athlete.

“I think he’s number one [in terms of guys I model my game off of],” Omsberg said of Hedges. “He’s the one that my coaches have said kind of try and play like him because he’s physically kind of the same height, he’s really good with his feet, plays great passes, also just a good defender and a good leader out of the back, so he’s the big one for me to watch.”​

Beerking repped this.