2018 MLS SuperDraft thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by xbhaskarx, Nov 15, 2017.

1. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Am I the only person who's seen Musovski play? I would not compare him to Wondo, but he was a game-changer with the Dragons. Fun to watch, very skilled guy at least at that level.

2. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So given who was left on the board at the time, who would you have taken to make an A level draft. I think if you want to be so harsh, it's necessary to go on the record for what would be an A so we can all look back in 2-3 years and see how those alternative universe players have done.

I think it's good...and telling... that Paul Marie is saying that what the fans of San Jose should expect from him that he will give his all for the team. And his also saying the fans and learning the culture are the most important thing. I think it's more evidence that competitiveness is a necessary trait for an Earthquakes signing now. "Give his all" can be work ethic or competitiveness--hopefully it's both and he can also show talent.

markmcf8 repped this.
  3. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's different about his game to Wondo's specifically? He seems pretty good at being in the right spot and diverse with his shot selection at least.

4. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Just about any forward-like player whose game resembles Wondo's in any way is tabbed as "Wondo's successor". It was the same with Vako.

5. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nonsense!

If Paul can become a backup outside defender in the next season or two, that will be great! If either of the forwards can become a sub in the next two or three seasons, this will have been a killer draft.

Buck up lad! We don't know what we've got yet.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

6. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

I don't know what you've done with the real Mark, but your happy-go-lucky attitude isn't going to make it on this board! :mad:

7. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't happy go lucky! It's sober, cold-eyed realist.

Most players in the draft don't make MLS teams. Very few of them that do are impact players.

Therefore, it makes sense to draft guys at positions you need (because they won't make your roster at all if they are seventh on your depth chart). And also, you want to draft guys that have the qualities you seek. Some of those qualities are intangible things that we internet surfers cannot see much less evaluate.

So our first three picks are guys at positions of need.

I believe that our new leaders know what they are doing and picked guys they thought most likely to make our team.

Those two points make me more relaxed, and hopeful than many of our previous drafts, where we picked guys we didn't need, and who we ultimately just threw away.

We really need outside defenders, and we got one. Now if he can play well enough to provide sub minutes either this season or next, that will be a rocking success in my book.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

davez and bsman repped this.
  8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Thing is, we already had outside back depth in Colvey, and we could have used the pick on a young CB prospect like Omsberg instead. So unless Marie turns out to be solidly better than Colvey (and that's a big "if" - a lot of draftees don't even make the team and Colvey not only made the team he acquitted himself well in some starts in his 1st year) we gained 0 in the draft relative to what we had pre-Colvey release.

Beerking repped this.
  9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll certainly have to compare Paul Marie not only to other potential picks like Wyatt Omsberg, Jon Gallagher, Alex "let's pass on another" Roldan, etc. (other defenders taken later in the first round include Justin Fiddes and Graham Smith), but also to the fullbacks we cut (Kip Colvey and yes even Kofie Sarkodie).

Beerking repped this.
  10. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree fully with both of these points, and for the record, I would not have let Colvey go. Of course, I would also have given him a bunch of starts last season.

As I slaid earlier, we won't know how well this draft was for two or three seasons at least. One sign of a bad draft is that you cut the guys you drafted for no value in return at all.

Even if these guys are still mostly playing for Reno in 2020, that's not necessarily a bust.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #311 xbhaskarx, Jan 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Hey we're getting positive reviews already, on mlssoccer.com from TDS' Travis Clark:

SuperDraft grades: Who won the day... & who didn't

San Jose Earthquakes: B+
    After starting off with a bit of a surprise pick and grabbing defender Paul Marie, the Earthquakes picked a couple of intriguing forwards in Danny Musovski and Mohamed Thiaw. There’s a good chance at least one of them pans out and scores goals this season if given a chance.

=====

Clark: The five best moves of the 2018 SuperDraft

San Jose’s second round

Paul Marie was something of a shock selection in the first round. And while the Frenchman could end up getting a long look in the Bay Area, San Jose’s second round selections were sneaky good. Forwards Danny Musovski and Mohamed Thiaw have different strengths in the final third, though assuming at least one can make the roster (at minimum) San Jose might’ve unearthed a potential goalscorer or two with their selections.

12. Tom Szabo

Tom Szabo Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The grading here is a bit harsh. MLSsoccer is giving the Quakes a B+ and top 5. That might be a bit generous but they did get 2 decent picks at forward and at least one of them should get signed. The Marie pick is a total flyer but to pick him at #12 probably means they have a plan. It might not work out, but it's maybe smarter than what Friedel did in simply picking athletes with pace. Assuming only 1 guy gets signed out of these three, it's still not bad given the draft position the Quakes had.

markmcf8 repped this.
  13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The lowest of bars. I'm not yet convinced that Brad Friedel has the faintest idea what he's doing.

Beerking repped this.
  14. Tom Szabo

Tom Szabo Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He did double his chances by basically picking 2 of the same player.

15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure how I missed this but the LA Galaxy apparently went the "well our locker room was cancerous and we finished dead last, might as well load up on captains from the national champions" route...

In need of a culture boost, the Galaxy selected two captains from the back-to-back-to-back NCAA champs Stanford. Tomas Hilliard-Arce has a senior contract already and could compete for starting minutes soon, while Drew Skundrich faces an uphill battle to crack the rotation for LA, but could end up as a big piece for LA Galaxy II.​

16. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we grade offseasons...and "today" and not merely the draft, we can't compete with the Atlanta and Philly stuff of course. But we moved Ceren and look to have lined up a young American in Calvillo too even if he's not getting announced today. So that's a get younger move in addition to the HGs and draft. If there wasn't the intl roster spot stuff to wonder about, the roster is looking remarkably settled prior to preseason compared to Earthquakes seasons of the past.
    It's a nice change to be wondering what the new guys will look like as we go thru preseason instead of wondering whether we'll get a bunch of trialists that can make a difference and trying to guess who they even are.

Tom Szabo, davez and markmcf8 repped this.
  17. Tom Szabo

Tom Szabo Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Hear, hear! There is actually roster planning taking place and emphasis on youth instead of retread injury prone journeymen salvaged off the scrapheap. Even if this doesn't end up being a very good team (given the ever-improving level of the league) at least it gives hope and should be entertaining to watch.

markmcf8 repped this.
  18. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    I never understood the love affair with Colvey on this board. He was a fullback who lacked pace and made some mistakes when he did play and the fact that neither coaching regine (or system) called him into action despite the need at FB speaks volumes.

QuakeAttack and Beckham7 repped this.
  19. asdf2

asdf2 Member+

Oct 11, 2004
    San Francisco
    Hopefully a couple of these draft picks pan out. The roster looks better and deeper than a year and a half ago.

20. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #320 JazzyJ, Jan 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    True, though wasn't the roster pretty much settled at the start of camp last year (or a little bit later), with the exception of having pocketed the DP to be signed later? And we made a lot of signings too - Hyka, Hoesen, Urena, Cummings, Flo, Lima. We actually signed what could have been 6 new starters if Cummings had stayed healthy.

21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If he played for Burlingame, I must have seen him. :)

23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Mark I know wasn't sober. So, what did you do with him? :)

Beerking and markmcf8 repped this.
  24. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year felt more like things are starting to change, but too old regime contaminated.

25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Does Vako's name end in ski?