2018 MLS Regular Season Roster Moves

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jason1551, Mar 4, 2018.

1. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy would do just fine at Belenenses. He'd be their poor man's Hulk.

2. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Jozy is too good and way too expensive for Belenenses. I've been to their ground before; I'd be surprised if their cumulative first-team salary exceeded Jozy's individual salary in Toronto.

3. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adrian Heath could try to make a winger out of him. That's worked well.

TOAzer and RafaLarios repped this.
  4. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If TFC doesn’t sign him to a new contract, I’m sure he’ll have several MLS teams knockong on his door...

5. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That last sentence is right. Belenenses is a poor team in every sense of the word. So that "expensive" part? Agree.
    But that "too good" part? That's my point. Jozy is not so good anymore.

6. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Jozy is averaging a goal every 137 minutes this season. 1 every 145 last season. That's inarguably a good return.

I understand why people in Toronto are tired of his shit, but to say that he's "not so good anymore" is asinine.

Gamecock14 and sitruc repped this.
  7. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't think most TFC supporters are tired of Jozy. Just his injuries.

And I think Jozy got told that due to the rumoured 3rd DP spot being cut, he's being let go/traded/sold/whatever

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  8. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #333 TOAzer, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    [1] Actually, it is very much arguable. Has his "return" been good enough, relative to the investment? Compared to Bradley, sure. Compared to Giovinco, not even close. Just to restrict it to those who have comparable salary.
    [2] Asinine is as Arsenal does, Metro. Someone who argues that a striker who in the last four seasons has scored fewer goals than he did in two seasons at Alkmaar, for example, cannot be described as "not so good anymore", a striker who is often injured and whose scoring comes in erratic bursts, needs to reexamine words and things. He might even understand the difference between "not good anymore" and "not so good anymore".
    Jozy has been an above average starter, with one year as "well above average", but in general very much not special in his last four seasons in MLS. His is a sustained, merited, "not so good anymore". The blunt truth is that Altidore is a player on the decline, and not just compared to 7 years ago, and although he could have commanded a role with a strong club in the Portuguese league in, say, 2013, he cannot now. No one is going to be offering him anything like what earns at Toronto, and those who take a chance on him will be those genuinely in need and who just hope he recovers form [at an affordable price], or those are sufficiently deep pocketed that they can hire him on as a reserve player and/or make use of one to be loaned out to other sides.

kennytt repped this.
  9. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYCFC and PHL would be interested in Jozy. At the right price......he'd be a perfect fit for how the Union play. Though signing him would prevent Philly from either making a move to get a new loan deal for Dockal, or purchase him/find a replacement for him. Dockal has very quietly had an MVP caliber season.

NYCFC will need to replace David Villa's goals. I'm not sure how good of a fit Jozy would be for their style of play though.

Nashville could try to sign him and then loan him to a team for a season in order to make a splash for 2020 when they enter the league.

Maybe a reunion with Bob Bradley in LA?

Orlando & Colorado seem to like to frivolously spend money...

10. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I have a hard time imagining any team wanting Jozy at his current salary honestly.

Draghignazzo, TOAzer and EvilTree repped this.
  11. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Can we say he's not good enough* to command his current salary at TFC or anywhere else he lands?

*I'd argue he was overpaid at TFC throughout, but water under bridges and all that.

12. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never understood how much TFC paid him and Bradley. A hefty chunk of a USMNT player’s salary is merchandising and marketing.. Is a Canadian really going to attend more TFC games because of Bradley/Altidore? Will a Canadian company sponsor with TFC because of them?

RafaLarios and Draghignazzo repped this.
  13. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Agree and, if they played stateside, I'd still call them overpaid.

14. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #339 Yoshou, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    They were key components of two MLS runs. Add in the off field benefits and most US teams would consider it well worth the salary hit.

Gamecock14 and JasonMa repped this.
  15. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe TFC knew they were overpaying but were willing to do so to ensure getting Bradley and Altidore to TFC quickly and and keep them there. It worked particularly when considering TFC’s history. Of course, paying a lot for Giovinco was important as well. Corporate sponsorship is huge in Toronto and playoffs and titles doesn’t hurt in that regard. .

Gamecock14 repped this.
  16. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    TFC got 3 major finals, 1 MLS Cup win out of paying Jozy, MB and Giovinco.

I suppose you could debate whether that 1 MLS Cup is worth the money spent.

17. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Who cares where Jozy goes, he is always hurt anyways. I am more interested in who TFC will get as a replacement. Hopefully it's a Gio caliber type player. With the amount Jozy was getting paid, I am sure they can bring a better replacement.

Bradley should be next.

18. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good lord, if this doesn't scream "I'm the next Rapids striker signing target!" SMH

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/co...ng-colorado-rapids-offensive-signing-targets/

Ismitje and Gamecock14 repped this.
  20. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    JasonMa repped this.
  21. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    A journeyman striker on the wrong side of 30 who has never scored more than 6 goals in a season - surely that will solve all their problems.

SccrDon, Draghignazzo and JasonMa repped this.
  22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See Boli, Yannick, and Folan, Caleb for previous attempts. FFS

23. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
  24. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. There are an awful lot of fans of other clubs who like to complain that Altidore and Bradley have been "overpaid". And yet they lifted an MLS Cup and very nearly won the CCL.

If you're a fan of, oh, I don't know... maybe the New England Revolution, just to name one random club, I would think that you would be wishing that your management would "overpay" for some players that would actually win a championship. Seems to me that if a couple guys do what they are paid to do - win a trophy - then you really are pretty off base to call them "overpaid".

25. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Can a DP actually be "overpaid" if their salary is not being paid down significantly with allocation money (TAM/GAM)? Any pay from above the DP cap hit comes from ownership and that money can't magically go to player #30 on the roster.

The overrated question is if player X is worth the 500k cap hit + any allocation money a player's DP salary costs, not the 10 mil the owner pays.