2018 MLS Regular Season Roster Moves

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jason1551, Mar 4, 2018.

1. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
  2. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is what it sounds like in the FIRE FO.........

Sachsen and Gamecock14 repped this.
  3. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And down at Seaport Drive in Chester, PA too............

firefan2001 repped this.
  4. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Well we are trying to offload Ayuk so we can sign some player that has something like 18 appearances in the French 3rd division.

Honestly though, we blew our spending this year on Accam and we don't have the places (international or salary most likely) to make any real moves. Plus I think the FO needs to see how the kids in the USL progress this year before really making any sort of bigger move. We have 2 left backs, a right back, a winger, an a-mid, and a forward that are 20 or younger down there. Add in Aaronson, Temple, and Ofeimu (all academy kids that are 17) getting minutes and I see why you don't see a lot of movement right now. Unless the right player comes along that is a long term fit I don't see the reason to compromise long term plans for a short term gain. There isn't one player that will put us over the hump of being a fringe play-off team to contender.

Sachsen, NeilB and jaykoz3 repped this.
  5. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    How can FCC make trades with MLS teams? Do they already have allocation money to spend? Why not just buy the rights as with a normal out of MLS player move?

I'd think Lindner would prefer to pay cash from his USL team rather than allocation money from next year's capped team.

6. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Yeah, can't FCC frontload contracts this year to get guys under the cap next year?

7. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    FCC as an MLS entity is like any other expansion team. NYCFC made three trades the summer before they started (Jeb Brovsky, Andrew Jacobsen, and Kwame Watson-Siriboe). And the reason they can't just buy the player and put them on a USL contract and then sign them to an MLS deal is that the league won't allow it. I'd wager that as of the announcement that they were joining MLS that the only USL players they got first right of refusal on from their USL team had to be under contract by a certain date (probably that announcement date or by the opening of this transfer window). I'd guess that anyone signed after that would need to be signed to an MLS deal or subject to discover priority.

jaykoz3 and Ismitje repped this.
  8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Whitecaps signed Cody Arnoux in their final D2 season with the intent of bringing him with them to MLS, but MLS shot them down.

9. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Cody Arnoux. I remember when both him and Anton Peterlin signed for Everton and it was a sign that MLS was failing and their scouting was terrible since these kids signed for an EPL team. Arnoux never played a non-reserve league game in Europe and Peterlin saw limited action in League One and D2 in Denmark. Yet 10 years on and we still anoint every kid that signs overseas as the next big thing and superior to an MLS kid.

jayd8888, Namrog The Just, mbar and 5 others repped this.
  10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL won his rights in a draft after the league terminated (or forced Vancouver to terminate) the contract. He was on the roster for all of 2011 and about a third of 2012; he took a big salary cut to try and stick in 2012 (from 70k to 44.5k I think) but that wasn't enough. He played in parts of two games and we had a long running joke in our forum about how quickly and easily he got hurt in innocuous activities.

jayd8888 and Gamecock14 repped this.
  11. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It is peak MLS that the Red Bulls got a 4th-round draft pick from LAFC in exchange for the rights to a guy who played for the MetroStars in 2005.

mbar repped this.
  12. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
  14. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Writing has been on the wall for a while. Guess they couldn't get a good enough return from an Eastern Conference team so they kept him in conference. Will be interesting to see if they trade any of their 20 wingers as well.

15. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a bunch of GarberBucks.

We traded the face of the franchise for a bushel of GarberBucks.

If that's still GarberBucks by the close of the window, someone's got some 'splainin to do, Loocy.

jayd8888, SccrDon, TOAzer and 1 other person repped this.
  16. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LAFC gets richer? Ah, well, I hoped he'd come our way but there he goes to LA. He has to be happy with the change, if he had to make a change.

17. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    How does LA still have GarberBucks to give?

EDIT: They seem to have spread it out over two years.

18. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Minnesota has to spend 350k of it "immediately" (which I assume means by the close of the window) or it goes away.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  19. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Thorrington the one pulling the roster strings at LAFC? If so, he's doing a heckuva job.

Ismitje repped this.
  20. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess CJ Sapong and Garber bucks wasn't good enough..............

21. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Darwin Quintero is now the face of the Loons. He's an infinitely better player.

onefineesq repped this.
  22. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA

Yeah, I mean, that is a fair return on Gaber.

Then of course there is this:

23. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That and don't they get extra funny money because of being a expansion team.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  24. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA

Well if that is true there is going to be a section of the internet that loses their collective sh!t. Course it will be the same segment that lost it when he played for 15 minutes against Inter.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  25. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news! Minnesota does not have to use $350,000 before the window closes.

Bad news! That means they probably won't use it, and Manny Lagos has officially tossed this season into the dumpster.

JasonMa and Dead Fingers repped this.