2018 MLS Jersey Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Darkwing McQuack, Nov 28, 2017.

1. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. They are crap.

All of the planning that went into branding and identity and the jerseys seem like an afterthought.

James

2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Between the generic LAFC name and the generic black home shirts and white alternates, I think I've identified the inspiration for LAFC's branding strategy:

[​IMG]

3. kyleburkholder

Dec 4, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    South Africa
    From MLS website re:Montreal:

As early as 2019, the club will kick-start its second quarter-century with a new primary jersey, to be followed with two other new jerseys for the two next seasons.

Sooo...what a weird way to say “we’ll be back to being like everyone else again next year.”

4. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  5. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't get the Black & Gold for Chicago, but the city flag kit is tight. Love the KC third & green Rapids kit. Almost a dream combination for Dallas, Minnesota, RBNY, New England, Toronto, & NYC.

profiled repped this.
  6. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he was going for a Chicago Sting looking jersey.

7. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #357 profiled, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    Must be; a lot of the 3rd shirts are throw backs to previous teams/incarnations (metrostars for redbull etc)

8. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see too many explicit references to previous NASL teams that aren't in MLS now - even for direct decendants like San Jose, the red was used recently enough in MLS that it might just be referencing that. I feel like it would've been more yellow if it was a Sting reference - as presented, it just reminds me of the actual Chicago Fire Department:

[​IMG]

It's something I wouldn't mind seeing the Fire do with a secondary or tertiary kit, although I recall there being some Fire fans that don't want to use those colors (despite their obvious connection to the city/team) because of the colors' relation to Columbus (to which I say- pfffttt - the connection is there and there can be some good looks built from it that don't ape Cbus).

Capt.Tsubasa and profiled repped this.
  9. JYLO

JYLO Member

Sep 13, 2016
    Club:
    AC Ancona
  10. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only one is don't like is RSL. The black and yellow Fire kit is nice it would be cool if the name on the back is at the bottom like the FD jackets

11. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    edcrocker and harrylee773 repped this.
  12. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I normally love this summary just for the look and feel of it, but this year, I feel the criticism is spot on, too. The part about 'recolored/uncolored club crests are dumb' is spot on - while it might work in some contexts, one of the cool things about having a secondary in non-traditional team colors (which isn't happening much/at all this year anyway) is seeing the club crest 'pop' against them. Having the crest recolored to match what little color there is in a lot of this year's secondaries makes them even blander. While I'm glad some teams eschewed mono-white for gray and black, as a whole too many did, and they also went mono, often with recolored logos, making this year's batch of kits one of the most boring I can recall.

JasonMa repped this.
  13. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    In last year's kit tracking thread it was often tricky to decide what color to call some of the jerseys. That would not be a problem this year for almost all the teams.

I'm also going to give up on defending MLS kits. They are now, in fact, almost completely monochrome and white shirts have taken over.

kyleburkholder and harrylee773 repped this.
  14. TheEmperor14

TheEmperor14 BigSoccer Supporter

May 31, 2011
    Down the road
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm disappointed that RSL kept the red shorts, and all the monochrome white and monochrome black is a little annoying. LAFC debut in a year where half the league adopt a black jersey. WTF. And everyone points out all the intricate details on all the jerseys, yet overlook LAFC jersey detailing,saying it's somehow bland.

16. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure it's about branding for YouTube. They use a golden play button to signify something, I'm sure they didn't want it to be confusing.

17. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's really hard to see in this picture, but there is a really cool texture design on it. Very Art Deco, very LA. There is some kind of texture design on the white as well, but I don't get what it's supposed to be.

18. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is the same pattern as the one on the 1988-1990 jerseys for the U.S., and similar to the pattern used by Germany, Netherlands, and USSR:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. TheEmperor14

TheEmperor14 BigSoccer Supporter

May 31, 2011
    Down the road
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you can see a bit of the pattern on the crest shot. It's engineered fabric instead of the prints like the old styles Papin shows.
    [​IMG]

20. JYLO

JYLO Member

Sep 13, 2016
    Club:
    AC Ancona
    All of them are from Adidas.So that is why they are in the same pattern

21. lagfan1

lagfan1 New Member

Apr 13, 2016
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  22. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Uni-Watch gang did another review of this year's batch of updates, and their opinion seems in line with that of anyone else with a set of functioning eyes (too much white, too much black/gray for clubs that didn't go white, too much monochrome overall):

https://uni-watch.com/2018/03/03/another-2018-mls-kit-preview/

Here's hoping next year provides something a little more exciting.

23. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  24. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Waffle House colors really break up the monotony of the Atlanta kit and make it a little more bearable than it was. If I knew how to do photoshop, I'd go back to MLS 1.0 and try to see what the old back-of-the-shirt and sleeve sponsors would've looked like as front shirt sponsors, so I'm all for these kits, even if some of them aren't as well-executed as others.

Alejandro 10 and profiled repped this.
  25. superkeeper

superkeeper Member

Jul 9, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone have a compiled picture of all the different GK jerseys they will be using this year?