2018 Midterm Election Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Boloni86, Feb 7, 2017.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1751 ceezmad, Jun 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    He is popular with W. Virginian Democrats, he is a niche candidate that fits that state, he would have no pull if he tried to run nation wide as a Democrat.

He talked about changing parties last year but he did not, so the Democrats have an unreliable Democrat that votes down the Democratic party line more than any Republican from West Virginia would.

upload_2018-6-7_11-11-13.png

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/liberals-would-be-foolish-to-target-joe-manchin/

Edit: Fixed to differentiate between the twin states.

Deadtigers, dapip and charlie15 repped this.
  2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Don't put that shit on Virginia.

3. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, like there's any difference between Blacksburg and Morgantown.

Deadtigers and Boandlkramer repped this.
  4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Post reported.

5. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Blue Wave is still on track, people.....Keep up the good work!

A new Fox News poll finds 48% of voters favor the Democratic candidate in their congressional district and 39%the Republican.

That 9-point lead is up from a 5-point edge the Democrats held in March.

6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure VT students don't burn furniture in the streets after a football win. game.

ElJefe and sitruc repped this.
  7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rohrabacher got about 30% of the vote with no real Rep challenger. He's gonna go down in flames.

Deadtigers repped this.
  8. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Democracy continues

Of course there is no need to purge the rolls except to take away peoples votes

dapip repped this.
  9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Corey Stewart won the GOPMnomination for Senate in Virginia. He’s a big fan of the confederacy.

It’s Trump’s Party now.

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    In Corey Stewart's defense... nah... nope. Can't do it.

dapip repped this.
  12. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    No! The enemy you know and all that. Trump Won by 20 plus in W. VA, Manchin has to thread the needle. When we need him on big votes, he gets them. What I want is Ojeda to take the other Senate seat in WV but that will be in 2020.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're gettin our shit together here in 'sconsin.

https://www.vox.com/2018/6/12/17455922/wisconsin-special-elections-results-june

Democrat Caleb Frostman, the former head of the Door County Economic Development Corp, won northeastern Wisconsin’s First Senate District, which voted for President Donald Trump by a whopping 17 points in 2016. Frostman’s seat will be up for reelection again in November.

This is undoubtedly a victory for the state’s Democratic Party, in the third Wisconsin state election this year that has left Republicans sounding alarm bells. In January, Democrats flipped a rural Trump +17 state district with a comfortable 10-point margin of victory — a loss Wisconsin’s Republican Gov. Scott Walker, who is also up for reelection this year, called “a wake-up call for Republicans in Wisconsin.” Liberals also won a seat on the Wisconsin Supreme Court by a huge margin in April.

We have flipped two +17 President 45 districts. And Walker knew this was coming. This special election was mandated by the Court as Walker refused to schedule it.

As a side note, if y'all get a chance to visit Door County in the fall (when the leaves are turning)...or just about any time, it is amazing. Spend a day on Washington Island as well.

Dr. Wankler and crazypete13 repped this.
  15. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Great news but I refuse to visit the state that gave us Paul Ryan, Reince Prebus and Scott Walker.

Matrim55 and dapip repped this.
  16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
  18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Attached Files:

Deadtigers repped this.
  19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Are you ruling out visiting actual factual dictatorships based on their politicians, too?

20. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Not that I was that serious since I have no need to go to Wisconsin as of now so I can say that. And it was a dig at Nutter for his visit this county point.

However, to humor you, having been born the year of a coup in Ghana, my parents always seemed scared by the coup. It became very clear that you can't hate on people that live under dictatorships because a lot of them rarely have power, often their elections are sham, like say Zimbabwe. However, Wisconsin is not Zimbabwe and elected those 3 to office of their own will so it is a little different.

21. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see that you are in New York, the city that gave us the President. You gonna move out? :confused:

Further, Ryan is a specific local. Prebus was never elected. And Walker did not get 100% of the vote. But if you don't like nature, say so. No need to hide behind politics.

22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I saw that last night, and this is part of the grey area that we run into. I would suspect that many men are not perfect, and have things which could be held against them. For a guy like this, though, I'm wondering if there is anything else. I suspect not, since he openly admitted it and that it was 45 years ago. Typically these things are not one-off, but nothing else is out there, so this might be the odd occasion of being a one-off.

But the Dems are not required to support him. Both state and national withdrew support, and he still won. What does that say for the Dem voters of South Carolina 5th? Are they delusional? Do they forgive? Do they tolerate that behavior too much?

Deadtigers repped this.
  23. CFnwside

CFnwside Member+

Jan 25, 2001
    Humboldt Park
    Before I moved to Chicago from California twenty years ago I don't know if I could've pointed to Wisconsin on a map (maybe a slight exaggeration but you get the point). I've absolutely fallen in love with it since. Door County, the North Woods, little towns like New Glarus or the one with the mustard museum, and Milwaukee itself - all amazing. Before my kid was born, there was a period of time when my GF and I would drive up to Milwaukee on an almost weekly basis just to get out of town. It got to the point where we were regulars at the Nomad for trivia night.

By contrast, Illinois, outside of Chicago, is a complete wasteland. If it disappeared tomorrow no one would notice.

Deadtigers repped this.
  24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah so you are a FIB. :p

Yes, that peninsula northeast of Green Bay is really, really amazing.

Brady St. must have been different back then. Now it is full of college kids. Decent area to eat, and a nice area to hang in for a night once in a long while, but not on a regular basis. One thing I will say, there are a surprising number of good restaurants in town. I enjoy the food here. I also like the parks in the city and metro area. But politically, the suburbs are, well, they voted for Walker and the President. Lots of segregation.

Deadtigers repped this.
  25. CFnwside

CFnwside Member+

Jan 25, 2001
    Humboldt Park
    What's a FIB?