2018 Midterm Election Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Boloni86, Feb 7, 2017.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How?

I mean, I wish he was out of public life. His acquittal was legally correct post-McDonnel, but morally out of whack.

But you don't know how anything works.

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a way, but it seems state by state, so maybe not in NJ.

http://www.courant.com/opinion/editorials/hc-ed-repeal-party-loyalty-law-20160211-story.html

They can also say denounce the candidate even if they can not stop him from running, here in Illinois we have a Nazi running for congress because he was unopposed in the Republican primary, State Illinois officials have denounced him (he has no chance of winning the heavy democrat district).

3. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
  4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw that, there was one race that was pretty close (for second place) when I went to sleep last night, it looks like the Dem pulled it off.

5. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

IMG_1236.jpg

6. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously this isn't a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, but I'm coming to really enjoy stories like this. Local elections matter so, so much for myriad reasons – but especially with regard to building a deeper bench.

[​IMG]

soccernutter and charlie15 repped this.
  7. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    After 2016 didn’t we learn that benches are overrated?

8. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you mean?

9. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Republicans supposedly had a very deep bench, 17 deep I think. They ended up with the demagogue reality TV star...

Deadtigers repped this.
  10. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And they won, and control everything in DC, compared to the Democrats, who had no bench and control nothing.

11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Not to mention those state level offices that are useful when it comes to allocating resources for education, superstructure, etc.

Deadtigers and Matrim55 repped this.
  12. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyways, more California results. There will be a Democratic senator, either Feinstein or De Leon. The Republican guy finished in the top two in the governor's race, so that should be a walkover for Newsom. There hasn't been a statewide Republican elected in California since Governator Arnold left office in 2010, and insurance commissioner Steve Poizner also left that office in 2010. Poizner is back, trying for insurance commissioner again, this time as a "no party preference" (i.e. independent, because he knows that having an (R) after your name is not helpful in statewide races - my wife and I went through the list of candidates for Governor and Senator and crossed out all the Republicans, because anyone who still identifies as a Republican here in the age of Trump clearly doesn't want our votes).

Poizner may think that we've forgotten how he ran for Governor in 2010 on a hard-right anti-immigrant Republican ticket, and got whipped by Meg Whitman who then got whipped by Jerry Brown, so Poizner is, like, double-whipped or something. But we haven't forgotten. He says now that he regrets going so hard anti-immigrant in 2010, but that's just because he's a political opportunist who will say whatever he can to try to gain votes. There should be another clean sweep for Democrats in statewide races in November.

For the House, people are talking about how Democrats dodged a bullet by getting one of their guys in the top two in all of the critical House races, but nobody's talking about how Republicans got locked out of nine races. Here's the top-two breakdown for the 53 house races:

Democrat vs Republican - 43
    Democrat vs Democrat - 3 (CA-6, CA-27, CA-44)
    Democrat vs third party / NPP - 3 (CA-5, CA-34, CA-40)
    Democrat vs nobody (ran unopposed) - 3 (CA-13, CA-19, CA-32)
    Republican vs Republican - 1 (CA-8)

The first category includes a bunch of walkovers e.g. Nancy Pelosi's district where a token Republican managed to finish second. CA-8 is a mostly rural, pretty solid Republican district (CVPI R+9) consisting of places like Death Valley National Park and the Owens Valley, the now-dry former farmland that Los Angeles stole the water from a century ago.

So there's a breakdown of California's non-proposition results from last night. There will be a number of interesting House races between now and November, to see if criminal morons like Nunes and Rohrabacher can get kicked out by a blue wave.

Dr. Wankler and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  13. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yeah, but it was not the deep bench.

It is like if you said that France was going to win the WC because they have what amount to 3 squads of quality players, only for them to win because a 4th division player was written in in the list of 35 as a joke and he somehow ended up being the tournament's MVP.

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last thing I saw Nunes was getting over 50% of the primary vote, where did he end up?

15. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the CA secretary of state site for all the house races:

https://vote.sos.ca.gov/returns/us-rep/district/all

Scroll down to CA-22, and yes, Nunes is at 57%. I don't know if there are still late / mail in votes to be counted but it's unlikely to change by much. Nobody should be thinking it will be easy to dislodge these criminal morons, because they could only get elected as Republicans by being in pretty heavily Republican districts (the CVPI for CA-22 is R+8) - even though their criminality and moronness are obvious to thinking people, they're still pretty popular in their districts.

16. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally agree with you that the size of the bench was not related to the election win in 2016, but there is some value to fighting and winning those county-level and state-level races - it will be a long process to undo the gerrymandering that is built in to a bunch of red states.

Matrim55 repped this.
  17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    You probably originally followed her when she was with DC United. I think she was in one of the roles that Lindsay Simpson now has. I think she left the team to move to New York to do yoga or something and then became political on twitter especially when it was about women. I've actually muted her a few times because she can be heavy handed with her privileged feminism. I guess she has a podcast or something now. I didn't realized she is now verified on twitter.

charlie15 repped this.
  18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The gap is widening again. I am not surprised....I always thought that the closer we are to the elections, people will come to their sense.

1004709649000681475 is not a valid tweet id

1004561747137744897 is not a valid tweet id

dapip repped this.
  20. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Wow, Bernie Sanders is a bigger dick than I realized. This is from a Washington Post e-mail subscribers can get, it will probably be in tomorrow's paper:

In 2018, the 76-year-old says he is focused on coasting to a third term as Vermont’s junior senator. His name will appear on the Democratic primary ballot in the state’s August primary. But when he wins, he will formally decline the nomination and run as an independent in the general election. Doing it this way ensures he will have no Democratic challenger.

21. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And reversing gerrymandering.

In no version of the real world is having a deep bench a bad thing, or even a meaningless thing.

22. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stop just focusing on the president. Every seat in every statehouse and on every schoolboard and in every city council matters.

Building a bench that's both broad and deep is the only way we'll be able to undo all the awful crap the republicans have inflicted upon us.

yossarian and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  23. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    You know the Dems don't have to stand for such realpolitik, right? They could run their own candidate and then lose the election to a Republican.

24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he loses (he won't) would he still run as an independent?

Deadtigers repped this.
  25. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This dude is a Focking clown. Can he be expelled please!?!

IMG_1241.jpg

Q*bert Jones III repped this.