2018 Midterm Election Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Boloni86, Feb 7, 2017.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember some article about game theory, I am don't remember if it was humans or Chimps, but the game tested how well a group would work together for rewards.

If the reward was shared somewhat equitable then the group would work together, but if one or part of the group got a higher reward than the rest, then problems would start.

Those that got a lesser reward would stop working and helping, they would rather not get anything than to get an unfair reward.

That may help explain the lefty economic movement and the 3rd party voter.

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or un supositirio grande o uno con espinas, please vote.

I would vote for the grande, how about you?

3. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Actually, there was an article on how Trumpanzees didn't mind not getting food as long as they could pee and poop on Homo Liberalis Snowflakian.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...-working-class-trump-cultural-anxiety/525771/

4. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    What? Sorry bro, I'm just not into that...

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See why are you being so 3rd party.

You have to pick one of the 2, otherwise you can say you will vote 3rd party, then end up with someone else picking the suppository that will go up your culo.

pick the lesser or the 2 evils.

6. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
  7. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Oh come on, that is the weirdest #bothsidesdoit I've ever read...

#S&Mww/oLube

8. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    onefineesq and Deadtigers repped this.
  9. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  10. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018...ly-to-disavow-pelosi-lamb-pennsylvania-417425

Seems with Lamb's success more dems are gonna disavow Pelosi. I am all fine for winning and I get that she is a huge GOP bogeyman and caricture of all that is evil with the dems not to mention she is old and has been there forever. I get it, young blood, new leadership for a new breed of Dems and a fresh younger class giving the GOP no bogeyman. H

However, Nasty Pelosi got it done. If she told you she would get you the votes she got the votes. She ran a tight ship and knew when to allow decent as long as the party goal was achieved. I don't want her ditched and we and up with some Boehner like insurrection where the House leader can't guarantee anything become some group want to hold things for hostage and we look more and more dysfunctional, so I hope the Dems play the game right.

11. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Agree 100%. Nancy has been a ********ing rock for Congressional Democrats for such a long time, and like you said, therein lies the problem. I have tons of respect for her work, but it's time to pass the baton. I have faith in the Democrats to not turn into Tea Party 2: Leftist Edition.

12. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    They say the sequel is often worse than the first.

American Brummie repped this.
  13. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only way I see to thread the needle is to offer buying into Medicare as a public option on the exchanges. It won't thrill the "Medicare for all" caucus and it won't thrill folks who were dead-set against a public option back in 2010, but it'll move the ball forward on healthcare.

Boloni86 and ceezmad repped this.
  14. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So US Democracy is healthy they tell me. Hope to see all those Republican Senators and Representatives put a fight against the Orange Douche...

15. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Why is that a part of democracy?

Boloni86 and crazypete13 repped this.
  16. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  17. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    soccernutter repped this.
  18. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    1. Get the message across third party voters: Vote Democrat to save Democracy!!

2. It might be too late already.

19. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Aren’t your elected representatives supposed to check and balance the executive?

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This tweet shows why the next two elections are as close as we’ve come to Armageddon for democracy since the 1850s.

GOP house members are all in for Trump. So they are a danger to democracy. The Senate is scarcely better. If the GOP maintains control through a 2nd Trump term and also the 2020 redistricting, we are probably ********ed. If not, demography will destroy this iteration of the inevitable Conservative party in a first past the post system. They may have the same name but if the Dems can get a level playing field after 2020, their opponents will have a very different look.

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you pay for it? Increase the medicare payrol tax?

22. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're asking how you would pay for allowing younger people to buy into a government program that's been running for fifty years for older people?

I think that people would give Medicare money instead of giving it to insurance companies. And instead of those insurance companies' paying for their medical care, Medicare would pay for their medical care.

You know, people would pay Medicare for their health insurance.

Boandlkramer and taosjohn repped this.
  23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok, but technically you are making them pay twice right?

They pay the payroll tax when they get their paycheck and then they have to buy in and pay again to get the insurance benefit.

https://www.thenation.com/article/medicare-for-all-isnt-the-solution-for-universal-health-care/

But that would work better than increasing the tax on all, so why not, worth a try.

24. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They pay the payroll tax for old people. They'd buy in for themselves. I guess that you could come up with some scheme where people could get a credit for the Medicare tax that they're paying if they're buying into it on the exchange.

25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading the article on how we can make it happen, defenetilly a lot of things could go wrong.

We are not going to magically going to go from spending 18% of GDP on healthcare to less than 10% with just switching, there is going to be a lot of fights and pains, we may never get there (as other countries spending to GDP is increasing.

https://www.thenation.com/article/medicare-for-all-isnt-the-solution-for-universal-health-care/