2018 Midterm Election Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Boloni86, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Definitely wasn't suggesting term limits. Just disappointed at the Democratic party in general. To me it seems like a party that is unable to grasp the future. Not enough courage and not enough vision. They spend more time romanticizing their Civil Rights era exploits than connecting with the issues of tomorrow.

ceezmad repped this.
  2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    3 Highest Ranking Dems vs 3 Highest Ranking GOPers

Pelosi - 76
    Hoyer - 77
    Clyburn - 76

Ryan - 46
    McCarthy - 51
    Scalise - 51

This is a problem.

Boloni86 and Boandlkramer repped this.
  3. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We have a bunch of geriatrics too far removed from where thy started running the party.

Same age as my parents so before anyone calls me an ageist.....

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yesh, that is not very good for the party of the young.

BUT

Bernie Sanders was not exactly a young person, and the young fell in love with him.

superdave repped this.
  5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    He had the virtue of never having been in a leadership position.

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    So, the Schwarzenegger for Senate rumors ...
    A few things to remember here.

First, the idea that California is an impenetrably blue state is a more recent development than many recognize. The GOP held the governorship here from 1983 to 1999. Then Gray Davis managed to win. This wasn't some blue wave. And it wasn't Pete Wilson and Prop 187. It was straight up shifting demographics. But the emphasis here is shifting - not shifted. During the transition from one dominant governing coalition to the next, a lot of weird things happened. The weirdest was that Davis was recalled and Schwarzenegger won. What's weird wasn't that a GOPer won the governorship. They had held that office less than 4 years earlier. What's weird is just how chaotic and unsettled things were during those years. Strange things could happen because no dominant governing coalition had been established.

Second, but the political winds were pretty clear. California was becoming a dominantly blue state. Even Schwarzenegger had to accede to that after a nearly disastrous first term. He moderated himself. The Democrats ran an exceedingly weak opponent against him (Phil Angelides), and he won reelection. His second term was somewhat better, but he did not end his term a popular governor, and the GOP in California emerged from those years weaker than ever.

Third, then California elected Jerry Brown (for a second round) and steadily increased the Dem numbers in the state assembly and senate until today when they hold supermajorities. They also hold every single statewide office now. The transition that gave Schwarzenegger his window of opportunity closed. California turned solidly blue.

Fourth, there's a deep bench of charismatic, well-known up and coming Dem politicians in California today. And they're lining up to run for Feinstein's seat should she retire. And those Dems are right in line with the views that win statewide office here today. Schwarzenegger is decidedly not.

Could Schwarzenegger get elected to the senate out of California? Not with a GOP label next to his name. Could he get elected as an independent? Against a weak opponent, possibly, but only if voters in California believed he would caucus with the Dems once in office. But against a strong opponent? I think it's extremely doubtful that he could win. He's not politically popular enough, and - again - the window for his style of politics has closed in California.

So I just don't see this happening.

Smurfquake repped this.
  7. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Some people seem to think that Sanders is the central figure here. He's not.

8. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still waiting for you to give me a specific tax loophole you would close. You're against quite a bit, and don't like definitions, but the Republicans are showing off how hard it is to actually have workable ideas. You want to be taken seriously? Stop casting aside any means of classification. Identify a leader or guiding philosophy. And hit the books.

9. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oh look, someone got an edjamication and they're the expert. [emoji23]

I don't owe you $hit

roadkit repped this.
  10. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. I am weeks away from defending my dissertation to receive my PhD in political science. I am an expert here. And I'm telling you that party politics and responsible governance revolves around more than opposition to the status quo. The Republican Party is figuring that out the hard way. They have no plans to govern except for tax cuts. They have no shared ideology aside from hatred toward Barack Obama. And as a result they will not govern. Sure, they have the reins of power, but they do not govern. Nor will you, if this empty shell is what you think politics looks like.

Actually, you do. I'm one of the many millions of individuals who vote for Democrats who you're going to have to convince. I'm broadly indicative of many who need to know what policies we're getting. So yeah, you do owe me an explanation. Your repeated inability to do so really tells me a lot. Like you don't know what you want. Like you don't understand how party primaries work. And so on and so forth.

11. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm prepared for 8 years of Drumpf if it means the collapse of the Democratic Party or the two party system.

So many are pissed at both parties, until people stop with the "more of the same" they will continue to lose. It's what made Trump "acceptable" for undecideds and independents. I would rather not see Trump for a second term, but If I see Gillebrand or Kaine, I'll watch that dumpster fire [emoji91] for another 4.

12. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1.) What does "more of the same" mean?

2.) What would you propose that would look different?

You can't answer these two questions. You don't even understand the questions. That's why your philosophy will never govern.

13. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I choose not to engage these questions with you because of your combative approach. Besides you have all the answers. Why ask? Clearly you know what I think.

Funny thing is I probably have more experience writing documents that have impacted national defense policy than you, and I didn't have to get a PHD.

14. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly do not. That's why I keep asking. I genuinely want to know what you want. Which tax loopholes will be closed? How will free college tuition work? What types of candidates would the Bernie people run in Texas or South Carolina for governor or Senate?

These are honest questions. Please answer some.

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Replace all Federal college loan programs with vouchers that send students to In-state schools, set up a cap to something like 10K per semester.

Give it a 5 year trail and see how it works.

American Brummie repped this.
  16. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That might work.

Might.

I can't imagine schools will like the 10k cap.

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you'd prefer a one-party system?

18. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    #93 Knave, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    So, those Schwarzenegger rumors went poof ...

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/schwarzenegger-california-senate-rumors-235972

Told you.

- edit -

One irony of the GOP holding up Schwarzenegger as their hope for California: the kind of redistricting reform that he advocates today, which is the kind of redistricting reform that we implemented in California, is one factor in the GOP's decimation in this state. Honest redistricting actually favored the Dems.

crazypete13 repped this.
  19. noSpinFactor

noSpinFactor Red Card

Nov 17, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    There would be 3 if not 4

Uber liberals
    Libertarians
    Trumpsters
    Hardcore conservatives

20. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're gonna have to show your work how the "collapse of the two-party system" would lead to that and not single-party rule.

American Brummie repped this.
  21. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    But isn't it already with the same entities influencing both parties?

I'm not sure that the Dems can get away from the current course they are on. The fractures are pretty deep. Between BNC, justice Dems and We will replace you....E-Dems could be busy in the coming midterms. BNC is even vetting folks to run on the red side of the isle.

22. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If anyone gets primaried, I hope it's this one. She's a blue dog like Bennet, who I WILL vote against, even it means I have to #DEMENTER. Good thing Hick is out of politics in the near term. He undermined his own party's ColoradoCare plan...

[​IMG]

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well she was right, they were not winnable.

But still the far left should put up a candidate and try to primary her.

24. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm pretty leery of mass primarying on the basis of ideological purity after seeing the devastation it wreaked on the Republican Party's moderate wing that actually wanted to govern

25. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    In North Dakota? What are you all smoking?