2018 Midterm Election Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Boloni86, Feb 7, 2017.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, these are two different things. The 2nd one is true but the first is not.

I would agree that the parties are less relevant in politicians' lives. But people are more likely now to just use the (R) or (D) as a signifier of whom to vote for. That's the opposite of being less relevant.

2. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think people are becoming more ideological. Given that the parties have both become more ideologically consistent/homogeneous, there's a correlation. But I think the distinction matters.

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Said this earlier in the week in another thread:
    Saw this today ...

Ultimately, she might decline to run because it's just not for her. But it would be malpractice if the Georgia Dems didn't at least try to recruit her for some office somewhere.

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well let see if the Democratic anti-Trump "movement" is as strong as the Tea Party.

Over/Under on the number of Democrats that get primaried.

I assume the guy in West Virginia will be one of the most hated Democrats as he will vote in favor of Trumps policy the most so he can have a chance of winning re-election in WV, but will the far left try to push him out?

Or do you think it will be people in safe Democratic districts that get "Tea Partied" I mean many Republican in safe seats are the ones that were taken out by the Tea Party.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/17/politics/kfile-mccaskill-on-2018/

5. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I hope cooler heads prevail with regard to primarying people. Manchin is the most conservative Democrat and he votes with the Ds nearly 80 percent of the time (58 percent of the time on critical votes). No Republican is even remotely close to those numbers... Susan Collins is closest and she votes with the Dems less than half as often as Manchin. In deep red WV, he's far more likely to be replaced by a conservative Republican than by a liberal Democrat.

All the energy should be channeled into replacing Republicans. If people are desperate to primary Democrats, find a few in safe blue states/districts who don't vote as often with the party as they could.

superdave, Boloni86 and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    835290428429729792 is not a valid tweet id

A primary challenge from the Sanders wing (assuming it's unsuccessful) might actually help his argument to maintain the seat in November.

7. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They're coming. JusticeDemocrats raised half a mil in two weeks. "Brand New congress" and "We will replace you" are working this as well.

Their goal is primary challenges of the establishment. The tea party had some success with it.

8. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oooooh, $0.5 million in two weeks? That's $36,000 a day! That's a big movement you got there. If you keep that up for the next year and a half, JusticeDemocrats will raise $23 million! If they target ten races to primary, that's $2.3 million per race! That's some big clout there.

I'm absolutely shitting my pants in fear.

9. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These ********ing idiots really think that replacing Manchin with a more left-wing, less pro-coal Dem is a winning strategy?

sitruc repped this.
  10. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. It's gonna be fun replacing electable people with left-wing zealots who lose.

bigredfutbol and sitruc repped this.
  11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It would so appear, wouldn't it?

Better to maintain a 100% level of authenticity than to besmirch one's purity by actually having to govern.

12. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #62 ElJefe, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    I don't think that that'll be a problem in West Virginia or Missouri. I'm pretty sure that a primary challenge from the left won't bother Joe Manchin and Claire McCaskill too much, and it'll give them an opportunity to put some daylight between themselves and the left wing of the party and blunt any possible attacks from their general election opponent that they're "too liberal for West Virginia/Missouri."

13. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I'm not a fan of the far left rabble rousing, but in theory I'm OK with primary challenges. We have too many really old, really entrenched and really safe reps in Washington on both sides. For many of them a primary challenge is the only way you get them to respond. I wish it didn't have to be that way. I wish more reps would self impose term limits on themselves and not stick around to their 80s ...

14. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMHO, addressing gerrymandering is a better fix than primarying.

rslfanboy, Dr. Wankler and Boloni86 repped this.
  15. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why?

16. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    IMO, a certain degree of turnover is healthy in a government. Keeps the incumbents honest and responsive to their constituents and keeps a steady flow of new ideas and approaches flowing in. Having 20+ year incumbents and the same actors fighting the same battles over and over again is stale, makes them complacent. I've never been a fan of term limits, but I wish people would vote out the incumbent more often than they do.

Boloni86 and American Brummie repped this.
  17. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do elderly lawmakers rehash decades-old battles at a higher rate than younger lawmakers?

It's an empirical question with an answer.

My gut reaction is that there is no correlation. Obama was young, and he tackled a century-old problem. But you may be correct. I'd like to know the answer.

18. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I have no data to show you. But Obamacare is an interesting case as it relates to this discourse; Obama took an old Heritage Foundation idea implemented first by Ŕepublican governor Mitt Romney and used it as a blueprint for the entire nation. He tackled the issue with a fresh set of eyes that saw a Republican idea that he believed workeď well and made it his own, successfully implementing it. This was also how he framed and marketed the reform package, as a conservative idea, rather than allowing it to be framed as a liberal one like the failled attempts at reform in 93.

One could argue that Obama's unique, fresh approach to selling the bill cut the Republicans off at the knees and factored into giving the Democrats political cover to succeed in 09 where they failed in 93.

I'd also say that all you have to do is look at the Democratic Party leadership to see where stale, same old incumbents giving the stale, same old arguments gets you. Since 2010 the Democrats have been losing ground and Pelosi is still House leader while Reid made way for the 2nd-most stale face in the Senate, Chuck Schumer. Their primary race was pathetic, to the point where even Bernie Sanders, an old-school leftist if there ever was one, was considered new and exciting because he wasn't just saying the same Democratic talking points from twenty years ago in the Clinton administration. Hilary Clinton's baggage had baggage because the Republicans were wailing on her for over twenty years and her act was predictable. The Democrats presented a static, predictable target that hadn't been shaken up in decades outside of a brief period of life because Obama was a rock star.

Voters like change. They like the idea of a new fresh approach, or even just a new fresh face to articulate the old approach. And if incumbents ever get too comfortable they eventually wear on those voters, and they get complacent in driving both country and party forward.

19. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody has the data. You just came up with an interesting research idea.

And here's a way to think about it - maybe the issues rarely change, but the mechanisms by which politicians consider them adapt with each new generation.

And an alternative hypothesis - the mechanisms by which leaders get elected introduce a cautious, pro-SQ approach to policymaking.

And perhaps this too has some testable implications.

You may not know this, but you've given me a few ideas for research in the next 3-4 years. PM me with more of this, please. I'd like to pick your brain.

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Primarying Joe Manchin is dumb. Primarying Dianne Feinstein probably is smart.

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well some Democrats owe their Congress seats to the Tea Party doing this.

The left may have to learn the same lessons.

22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to win state level elections for that.

23. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Feinstein is one anecdotal data point that comes to mind. I don't think she's more conservative than she used to be. It's just that the state has become much, much more liberal since she was elected to the Senate first in 1992. Her politics have not kept pace, and she's increasingly out of step.

American Brummie repped this.
  24. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Just did a head count of all House members who will be at their job for 20 years or more by the next election. Pretty shocking ... 55 Democrats and only 27 Republicans. And keep in mind that there's about 50 more Republicans in the House to start with. That's 55 freaking Democrats who've been at it since the Clinton administration or before. And this is supposed to be the party for younger voters?

I'm no agist. There's a lot of value in experience and wisdom. But I think Matthaus Sammer used the correct word here ... stale. Part of the problem is gerrymandering ... Lots of these 55 come from districts that lean Democrat by at least 20%. And the other problem is that Democrats are just too nice. They defer to seniority, they lead from behind and they take no risks. Looking at these numbers I'm even more convinced that a little shakeup in these deep blue districts might not be the worst idea.

Here's the list if anyone's curious ... Several names there that I actually like so I'm not exactly advocating to declare war on all of them. But there's definitely some other names of reps whose best days are clearly behind them.

Mike Thompson - D - CA - 1998
    Nancy Pelosi - D - CA - 1987
    Barbara Lee - D - CA - 1998
    Anna Eshoo - D - CA - 1992
    Zoe Lofgren - D - CA - 1994
    Brad Sherman - D - CA - 1996
    Grace Napolitano - D - CA - 1998
    Lucille Royal-Allard - D - CA - 1992
    Maxine Waters - D - CA - 1990
    Diana DeGette - D - CO - 1996
    John Larson - D - CT - 1998
    Rosa DeLauro - D - CT - 1990
    Alcee Hastings - D - FL - 1992
    Sanford Bishop - D - GA - 1992
    John Lewis - D - GA - 1986
    Bobby Rush - D - IL - 1992
    Luis Gutierrez - D - IL - 1992
    Danny Davis - D - IL - 1996
    Jan Schakowsky - D - IL - 1998
    Pete Visclosky - D - IN - 1984
    Steny Hoyer - D - MD - 1981
    Elijah Cummings - D - MD - 1996
    Richard Neal - D - MA - 1988
    Jim McGovern - D - MA - 1996
    Mike Capuano - D - MA - 1998
    Sander Levin - D - MI - 1982
    John Conyers - D - MI - 1964
    Collin Peterson - D - MN - 1990
    Bennie Thompson - D - MS - 1992
    Frank Pallone - D - NJ - 1988
    Bill Pascrell - D - NJ - 1996
    Gregory Meeks - D - NY - 1998
    Nydia Velazquez - D - NY - 1992
    Jerry Nadler - D - NY - 1992
    Carolyn Maloney - D - NY - 1992
    Joe Crowley - D - NY - 1998
    Jose Serrano - D - NY - 1990
    Elliot Engel - D - NY - 1988
    Nita Lowey - D - NY - 1988
    Louise Slaughter - D - NY - 1986
    David Price - D - NC - 1996
    Marcy Kaptur - D - OH - 1982
    Earl Blumenauer - D - OR - 1996
    Peter DeFazio - D - OR - 1986
    Bob Brady - D - PA - 1996
    Mike Doyle - D - PA - 1994
    Jim Clyburn - D - SC - 1992
    Sheila Jackson-Lee - D - TX - 1994
    Gene Green - D - TX - 1992
    Eddie Bernice Johnson - D - TX - 1992
    Lloyd Doggett - D - TX - 1994
    Bobby Scott - D - VA - 1992
    Adam Smith - D - WA - 1996
    Ron Kind - D - WI - 1996
    Eleanor Holmes-Norton - D - DC - 1990 (non voting)

25. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I don't have any problem with them being there this long. Term limits are a bad idea.

But I do have a big problem with them being in House leadership this long.

http://www.house.gov/leadership/

There have been basically no new fresh voices among the House Democrats in decades.

The message and the messengers have gone stale.