2018 Midterm Election Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Boloni86, Feb 7, 2017.

1. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    R's are being savaged in Mn. It will be hard for any of the R congressmen to survive there. The heads winds from the top of the tickets will be brutal.

2. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Well, no one in Georgia is going to stop him. And no one in DC is going to stop him. And the courts aren't going to stop him. So I guess this patently criminal thing isn't technically criminal.

Chicago76, Funkfoot, Deadtigers and 3 others repped this.
  3. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This is my fear. Dems could have strong gains in all the nation but not much to show in the red states. It feels that the control of the House will be decided by single digits, IMHO. And when the counting is so close, anything could happen.

4. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Holy crap

1049858473217929216 is not a valid tweet id

dapip repped this.
  5. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    When I listen to my old reggae albums and hear them singing about apartheid, Nelson Mandela and Peter Botha, I think to myself that if they could get rid of minority rule, then so can we. It gives me hope.

6. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    You "voter purge" alarmists need a drink of water to calm down a little bit. Do you guys understand that roll purging is a common and normal thing?

If you want me to be alarmed, link the actual facts of the methodology being used and explain why you think it's illegal. I'm sure there are lawyers in the state who'd be more than happy to bring a suit if the law was broken in a purge. As someone who has actually seen unmaintained voter rolls, they can become an absolute nightmare without some regular maintenance. That's not to say that purging can't involve shadiness, but please point out specifically what your accusation is.

And no, you can't just use general surface data like how the majority of the purged come from the lower classes. That goes without saying. Poor people are more transient by nature, constantly changing addresses, changing districts and even changing states. Same for young people. Voting is inherently harder for people not established in a community. This is baked into the system already, and that should be a separate conversation.

In Indiana, if half a million legitimate voters were purged, we should see that reflected in the turnout. Last time Indiana had a Senate race in a mid term was 2010 with a turnout of about 1.75 million. If these 500K purged people are real, we should see that reflected on next month's voting results.

Without actual cold hard evidence of illegality, you guys sound just as unhinged as the "illegals are voting" people on the other side.

Timon19, crazypete13, taosjohn and 2 others repped this.
  7. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    #2982 Boloni86, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    As an x MN resident, the state is just not good Trump country. Yes it's a very white gun owning state outside the big cities, but rudeness and vulgarity don't sell very well culturally. Here it has to be noted that Minnesota is a unique state in the sense that they have their own progressive party called the Democratic Farm Labor Party which affiliates with the national Democratic party. By doing this, the DFL can distance itself from the national Democrats and present campaigns specifically tailored to Minnesotan voters. The DFL is well loved in the state with the traditions of Paul Wellstone, Walter Mondale and Hubert Humphrey. The DFL guy running for governor is very much in this tradition, as is Amy Klobuchar. Moderate, pragmatic, compassionate and progressive. The fact that they place an extra emphasis on farm and labor issues gives them a lot of support in rural areas.

Trump has some strong pockets of support along the iron range in x mining towns, but unfortunately those towns are decreasing in population and their young people are moving to the Twin Cities, Rochester, Duluth etc ... And even in mining country the industry that is growing the fastest is fishing/hunting/outdoors tourism so left wing environmental concerns are getting more and more traction as the decades go by. As for the rural parts in the Southern half of the state, they're dominated by farming who do a ton of business with China, Canada and Mexico. Trump threw out a last minute bailout to these farmers with his new ethanol program, but it may be a little bit too late. I think a lot of these farmers already took a hit to the pocketbook this year and their unease with the trade wars is already baked into their voting. I think this factor will come into play in Iowa and Wisconsin too where Dems look likely to flip some stuff.

charlie15 repped this.
  8. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lawsuit is being filed.

https://www.11alive.com/article/new...700000-voters-from-georgia-rolls/85-600064018

sitruc, ceezmad, Matrim55 and 1 other person repped this.
  9. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Well there you go. This is something I can get behind. Let it go in front of the judicial system. Even though I may not always agree with the result, at least I can see the facts laid out by both sides and I can make up my mind. What I don't like is the twitter gestapo being heavy on alarmism and very thin on facts and data.

10. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't claim to have studied the merits of the complaint at this point. But based on a brief glance, if plaintiffs' allegations that no notice was being provided prior to a purge are accurate, that would seem to be a problem even under the Supreme Court's recent (last June) Husted opinion.

sitruc, Boloni86, Matrim55 and 3 others repped this.
  11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Seriously?

This is about the most blatant rigging you can get.

They aren't purging old records for admin purposes - they are purging to delete as many likely Dem voters as possible

charlie15 repped this.
  12. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not trying to be overly alarmist, but Kemp who happens tp be the SoS as well as running for governor has an history of trying to reduce voting one way or an other. He lost a couple of court cases before and I would not pass it by him that he is back to his shenanigans again.

sitruc repped this.
  13. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It seems incredible that a purge in Georgia could hit 70% black voters without being intentionally targeted at minorities

14. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Yes with GOP circuit court judges where if appealed will go to the Kavanaugh court. What could possibly go wrong?

sitruc, Funkfoot, Matrim55 and 2 others repped this.
  15. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Republicans are purging voter rolls it in a way that removes more people that has been done before, ergo it is different this time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/19/opinion/midterms-voting-purges-elections-registration.html?

Purges are on the rise across the country, and particularly in a cluster of Southern states no longer under certain protections of the Voting Rights Act. And unlike anti-voter legislation, bad purges often happen in an office with the stroke of keyboard — so voters knocked off the rolls may not realize what’s happened until it’s too late.

Over the past year, my organization, the Brennan Center, pored over data from 6,600 jurisdictions and found the median rate of purging across the country has risen from 6.2 percent of voters to 7.8 percent since 2008. That jump may seem small, but it’s statistically significant and cannot be explained by population growth. It amounts to an additional four million people being struck off voting lists.

Much of that rise reflects purges in many of the places once subject to the preclearance requirements of the Voting Rights Act. Those requirements meant that places with a history of discrimination had to seek approval from the federal government or courts before they could make changes to voting laws.

It worked in Wisconsin and Florida in 2016. It is not alarmism.

And can you please stop defending the very fine people of the GOP when they attack democracy?

sitruc, onefineesq, Deadtigers and 2 others repped this.
  16. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Sometimes @Boloni86 reminds me of what happens when your coach ends up becoming the ref for the second team game. It is like they try so hard to not look like the fix is in they end up screwing you. You are trying so hard to not be a reactionary guy panicking with eeach news story like loads of people do that you end up not concerned enough or downplaying about real shit going on! Which is surprising considering after the GOP conspired with a foreign country to win a presidency you should realize that nothing is below them if it means winning.

sitruc, charlie15 and dapip repped this.
  17. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
  18. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    GOP abandoning a bunch of seats and focussing on an Alamo type firewall where they can cling on to the house

Dems expanding battleground thanks to green wave of $$

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very Neutral article, no loaded language at all.

They may be right and have a point, but man they lose me at

20. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Wut? I just replayed my entire life in my head and couldn't find that one moment when I "defended the GOP when they attack democracy." All I said was that the alarmism is becoming tiresome, especially when it comes via a tweet from a person I've never heard of with no data or information to back it up ... something that is against TOS for a reason.

I never disputed that shenanigans happen. All I'm saying is that lots of people with an agenda also blow routine things out of proportion in order get a rise out of people.

I've already shared my view on this. The GOP resorting to cheating is a sign of weakness. There is only so much they can do with disenfranchisement tactics. The dam will eventually break on them in places like North Carolina, Georgia and Texas. Any legitimate voter who waits in line for 30 minutes only to find out that they were unfairly purged will hold that grudge for a long time. I know Bernie voters who are bitter to this day that they weren't allowed to vote in the primary, and it's something they carry with them for a long time. And we all know that purging can never really be a surgical instrument, so lots of GOP voters could get purged too. For every vote the GOP thinks they can steal, they're alienating another voter of the future. Karma is a bitch, and it will come around.

Timon19 repped this.
  21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    dapip repped this.
  22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

23. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    If only somebody have warned about this 6 months ago...

Anyone wants to bet about who controls the House in 2019?

Deadtigers repped this.
  24. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I agree freezing 50K newly registered voters is insane new level of cheating

25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Georgia has apparently purged over 700K voters in the last year - and 1.4m since 2012

this is an entirely new level of cheating