PBP: 2018 Match Day #33: Union v. New York Red Bulls, October 21 2018 p/d/p

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by cwelch999, Oct 15, 2018.

?

Predict The Outcome: Union v. New York Red Bulls

Poll closed Oct 21, 2018.
  1. Win

50.0%
  2. Loss

41.2%
  3. Tie

8.8%
  1. breslinp

breslinp Member+

Jan 20, 2010
    Malvern, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He looks great on the wing in practice though ;)

2. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So why hasn't Fafa's yellow card been waived off?

buzzkiller23 repped this.
  3. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a tough loss. Plenty of possession and yet too few chances created.

thomas19064 repped this.
  4. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope the Union play Red Bull in the playoffs. I honestly think they have decent shot to take them in a home and home.

cwelch999 repped this.
  5. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still haven't seen clear and obvious video evidence to overturn the call on the field such that it was a handball.

I have watched this video several times and there is nothing clear and obvious to me. https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/m...on-vs-new-york-red-bulls/details/video/176577.

From this video, I can't even tell which Union players were involved.

Also, if the Union player was pushed from behind, it is a foul on the Red Bulls, not a handball on the Union.

Is there better video footage?

buzzkiller23 and sentrido repped this.
  6. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is only one view on the league's website, but the VAR apparently has access to others that the public does not. Unkel Ted only looked at briefly, so he was easily convinced. My guess is that he felt his original view was obstructed, so once he saw this, he felt the error was clear and obvious.

My problem is that it took way too long for the VAR to review the PK and send it down to Unkel. If they had been more efficient with the review, they wouldn't have had nearly as much chaos on the field, would have averted Fafa's yellow card, and Unkel wouldn't have almost lost control of the match. If New York have been successful in baiting Fafa into a second yellow, I think we would all be a lot more upset about how this was handled. Thankfully that never happened.

7. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that Unkel should have blown the play dead due to a possible head injury to Burke in the box.

Haris decided not to kick the ball out of bounds so it's not on Unkel from that point forward.

jaykoz3, DaMunk and slitz repped this.
  8. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The confusion on the field and in the stands was unreal. Suddenly they're stopping play and reviewing something that happened what felt like an eternity earlier.

buzzkiller23, Union42 and thomas19064 repped this.
  9. heynowref

heynowref Member

Aug 12, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    That was definitely one of the quickest "reviews" I've ever seen. It must of been obvious on some angle we haven't seen yet. Not that this means much cause soccer players raise there hands in protest for ********ing everything but multiple RB players did immediately protest when it happened.

And how there were no cards given out at the end of the first half mess is beyond me.

and fwiw I really like Trusty.

Union42 repped this.
  10. cwelch999

cwelch999 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I can understand why the public (and especially the in-stadium public) might not have access to all angles in real-time, why would the league hold back footage that supports the referee's decision? Why be opaque if you're right?

buzzkiller23 and jaykoz3 repped this.
  11. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #36 Union42, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2018
    Not sure about this either. All I know is that over on the Big Soccer referee's forum, many posters have have said repeatedly that the VAR has access to views the rest of us don't, and many of those guys seem knowledgeable and connected enough to know.

Agreed. FWIW, refereeing team had several things to process at once during the sequence: the shouts for the PK, the two Union players down in the box, probably the VAR in his ear about the penalty, and then immediately onto the Union break going the other way. Maybe Unkel was relying on his assistants to keep an eye on the injured Union players while he followed the play?

As much as it pains me to says this, they probably got the right call in the end, but how they handled it seemed very chaotic and didn't help the temperature on the field.

Agreed. FWIW, refereeing team had several things to process at once during the sequence: the shouts for the PK, the two Union players down in the box, probably the VAR in his ear about the penalty, and then immediately onto the Union break going the other way. Maybe Unkel was relying on his assistants to keep an eye on the injured Union players while he followed the play?

As much as it pains me to says this, they probably got the right call in the end, but how they handled it seemed very chaotic and didn't help the temperature on the field.

jaykoz3, thomas19064 and cwelch999 repped this.
  12. heynowref

heynowref Member

Aug 12, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I found it interesting that they even replayed that on the big screen. It seems so far and few between they show replays anymore.
    Hasn't that changed over the years? I seem to remember a lot more in years past.

13. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There have always been complaints about communication to the fans on the stadium, so maybe showing the video is there attempt to remedy this. Unkel also gestured that it was a handball after signaling the penalty, which doesn't happen for penalties decisions thAt don't involve the VAR. As a fan, I'd prefer an announcement over the PA system that something like, "Penalty kick to NY by VAR review for handling by #11".

jaykoz3 and cwelch999 repped this.
  14. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Borek was done after about the 60th minute. He had nothing left to give.

sentrido repped this.
  15. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to start a thread next season called "Things overheard at TES". My favorite from yesterday: "I'm tired of New York pushing our guys around. Why don't we have goon to take care of this?"

jaykoz3, Union42 and thomas19064 repped this.
  16. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Thought plenty of chances were created in the first half but no one finished them. Loved the wing play and crosses into dangerous areas. There were plenty of those. also had some good opportunities on corners in the first half.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  17. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Aurelien Collin was on the Red Bull bench.

slitz repped this.
  18. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't that what the point of the Phang signing and his new BFF Gritty?

DoctorD and slitz repped this.
  19. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To Phang's credit, s/he did ignite the pregame fireworks.

thomas19064 repped this.
  20. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also heard someone yell that Phang should have been thrown into the pre game bonfire, which apparently was a dud

buzzkiller23 repped this.
  21. Cherry Hill SOB

Cherry Hill SOB Member+

Aug 30, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Unkle came over to the bench side ref pointing to his earpiece after the Fafa yellow. Seemed to indicate he couldn't hear and the linesman said something and then he went to look at the review.

I didn't notice any issues with the earpiece after that so perhaps he was just confirming it was Garber on the other end telling him to award the PK so they could prolong the SS race since Atlanta was winning.

thomas19064 and Dills repped this.
  22. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure i understand what the fuss is about the review. Plays go to VAR at the next natural stoppage. Had Haris played the ball out for Burke's injury, it would have been stopped at that point. They don't stop for VAR while the ball is in play.

Or maybe I'm completely off!

Would have been interesting if Fafa had scored or earned a penalty

jaykoz3 repped this.
  23. SOBtilIdie

SOBtilIdie Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct. The next stoppage is when the official review occurs.

Just imagine if Fafa scores on that play. That would be wiped out and then NY would have a penalty. (This scenario happened in the ATL vs SJ game last month).

And they did announce over the PA that a penalty was awarded for handling.

I've watched the replay provided above and it's pretty clear that the union player leads with his arm up and the ball contacts it pretty directly.I think it was Bedoya.

It was the right call. The issues come with the common fan not knowing anything about VAR. As soon as he made the signal there were only two options of what was going on. 1) possible penalty or 2) red card infraction. With him going to the union end I assumed it was a penalty that he missed.

This is exactly what VAR is for.

slitz repped this.
  24. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else read about Bedoya and Medunjanin bashing the FO for hosting HS soccer games on the field?

buzzkiller23 and thomas19064 repped this.
  25. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it’s just me or i pick unlucky tailgate days to attend but energy at the tailgates just seems lower and lower each time...it’s sort of depressing

The whole sequence was bizarre because Red Bulls were just trying to pull a fair play move and kick the ball out of play when Haris and Fafa went off to the races...