PBP: 2018 Match Day #28: Union v. Montréal, September 15, 2018 p/d/p

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by cwelch999, Sep 7, 2018.

?

Predict The Outcome: Union v. Montréal Impact

Poll closed Sep 14, 2018.
  1. Win

63.3%
  2. Loss

16.7%
  3. Tie

20.0%
  1. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... we're going to unravel aren't we?

3. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #28 WVUPharm2007, Sep 15, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2018
    I enjoyed the Queen Greatest Hits medley from TRE tonight in junk time.

The are pretty consistently inconsistent, though.

thomas19064 repped this.
  4. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was really loud and well executed.

Also the Danny Mwanga chant. perfect.

5. SOBtilIdie

SOBtilIdie Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This next week is going to be rough. Probably taking a three game losing streak into the final. We could see ourselves on the outside looking in by the end of next week.

Doesn't help that we have the away game to the Crew the weekend after the final.

6. breslinp

breslinp Member+

Jan 20, 2010
    Malvern, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's 3-1. When Curtain replaces the only playmaker with a defensive mid, it's time to leave. It was nice to get heckled by a guy one section over, "Later, Cheap Seats!" as I exit. He pays $4 more per seat. Lovely night in Chester.

buzzkiller23 and thomas19064 repped this.
  7. djramone

djramone Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I defended Ray Gaddis 2 weeks ago, so this is all my fault. I accept full responsibility.

8. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serious question: I wonder how much of this let down was due to the international break? Did the two week hiatus give them a chance to become complacent? If they hadn't had the week off, would they have laid an egg this game?

9. EdBacon

EdBacon Member+

Apr 6, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I mean, they were on a hot streak which given the context, was bound to end and the team was going to revert to their mean eventually.

Nothing about this team is any different from earlier in the season when we thought they'd finish out of the playoffs. The issue with the Union is, and always has been that for them to generate even half-decent results that make them look competitive everyone has to bring their A-game 100% of the time. Nobody can have an off day. Nobody can be tired, and nobody can get injured. When you're relying on the stars to align like that you end up with short, sporadic bursts of nice play but ultimately its unsustainable. You won't get the stars to align forever, and then the team reverts back to their normal, inconsistent self where they're making mistakes, not communicating with one another or just not all playing on the same level and dropping points as a result.

This doesn't change until the team can bring in two things: depth and a handful of serious playmakers and goalscorers who you can rely on to get the job done, even if they have stretches where they're not at 100%. The Union doesn't have those players, or they don't have enough of them, and the quality drops off precipitously when you go to our bench. Not to mention our defense has been porous since 2012 and we've never solidified a backline since then that I think I've ever been entirely confident in.

cwelch999, Sachsen and Phillyspur repped this.
  10. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still feel like he's playing well over expectations on the year for me. Earlier in the year, I assumed that he was on his way out of MLS when they signed Real.

Union42 and cwelch999 repped this.
  11. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the way out of the stadium, my oldest tells me that sometimes the money spent on tickets just isn't worth it.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  12. djramone

djramone Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, he is. And Saturday night's performance doesn't make the other two options at LB any better. Just have to hope he snaps back to form. At least with Ray we know it is never a lack of trying.

LiverpoolFanatic, Union42 and aztec21bas repped this.