PBP: 2018 Match Day #27: Orlando City SC v. Union, September 1, 2018 p/d/p

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by cwelch999, Aug 27, 2018.

?

Predict The Outcome: Orlando City SC v. Union

Poll closed Sep 1, 2018.
  1. Win

48.5%
  2. Loss

21.2%
  3. Tie

30.3%
  1. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll take a road point.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  2. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, 7 points this week. Fairly confident all of us would have taken that a week ago.

Frustrating that both goals Orlando scored were preventable, and also against the run of play.

cwelch999 repped this.
  3. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not bad.. just feels like a missed opportunity.

LiverpoolFanatic and cwelch999 repped this.
  4. EdBacon

EdBacon Member+

Apr 6, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    7/9 is good, yes, but when they drop points I can't help but feel that it'll put them back into a funk. I hope not, but I still don't trust this team to be consistent.

Especially if Dockal is going to be out.

5. SOBtilIdie

SOBtilIdie Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can you have this feeling. They are 6-2-1 (2.1 ppg) in the last 9 league matches (nearly 2 months). 10-6-2 (1.77 ppg) since May 12th. Shows you how much that 2-5-2 (0.88 ppg) start hurt us (San Jose, Orlando, Columbus home points dropped). Flip a few results and we are on 46-48 points and in the hunt for the 3rd spot. Glad they are getting the points. They take 3 wins out of their last 8 should put them into the playoffs. They have a decent shot at 4th if they can keep the wins coming.

Taking 7/9 in the 8 days with 2 of those being road matches. The best teams take that every time. Yes a full 9 would have been great, but that's like in MLS. Road points 1 or 3 are massive.

Phillyspur, cwelch999 and breslinp repped this.
  6. EdBacon

EdBacon Member+

Apr 6, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Inconsistency is like the only thing they're consistent on, and this isn't the first hot streak they've had only to fall apart down the stretch.

While I commend them on their recent good form, I still trust this team about as far as I could throw Ilsinho.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  7. breslinp

breslinp Member+

Jan 20, 2010
    Malvern, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can probably throw Ilsinho further than Sapong (a target "striker") can send a cross into the box as a winger. I'm not sure he had one successful forward pass past midfield tonight. I don't get Jim's play here.

8. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously....

LiverpoolFanatic and drewuke repped this.
  9. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not fearing a funk. I really think we turned the corner (for this year at least).

The result is the same on paper and timing wise of the game tying goal, but it just doesn't feel like the Union of old. They controlled the game, they were without a doubt the better team even after they lost Dockal, and even after Ilsinhio had to be swapped for dead weight Accam. This is something where you were rooting for them to pull it out rather than rooting for them not to blow it.

Good feelings aside - without a doubt left two points on the table, they need to execute on games like this and they didn't. Even if Fafa didn't score that goal and it ended 1-1 I'd feel the same way. Orlando was BEGGING for us to win that game and I think we know that the team is now capable of doing that but we didn't.

Doesn't help that the Crew beat NYCFC tonight either... would have been good to keep that gap as narrow as possible with a crowded schedule that demands rotation for open cup on the horizon. This team is much better than it was, but they still need every edge they can get, the home game would be huge.

buzzkiller23 repped this.
  10. EdBacon

EdBacon Member+

Apr 6, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I mean I'm really not buying the faith here. The Union play some good soccer right now. For sure. They're also notoriously good at regressing to poor form. We're talking about a sub-season stretch of games. I think the sample size is still too small to say this is the new "normal" for them.

buzzkiller23, ScottyMac26 and UnionDues repped this.
  11. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #61 thomas19064, Sep 1, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    The biggest indicator for me is they aren't playing scared on the road. They've never done that in their history.

They aren't world beaters by any stretch of the imagination, and there is A LOT that can be done to improve this team, but this a ********-ton better than the shit we've been fed the last 9 years. Yes, they are great a regressing, but in the past they have already regressed by now.

They aren't off the hook at all in my book... they need to do better, they need to spend more, they need to get better players and bolster the team... but visually they are noticeably better and more appealing to watch and it doesn't look like a flash in the pan that we may have seen on the odd game here and there in the past, this isn't just an unbeaten streak, we've had some of those in the past, but they didn't scream confidence the way this run of games has... this is a streak where they are unbeaten and they look good doing it.. they are sustaining it over a long stretch.

This is the first real forward progress I think I've ever seen out of the team. Long long long ways to go until they are golden (or platinum) in my book.. but this is at least a start. (and yes, my goal posts will keep moving, as they get better we should demand more and more... never be content)

12. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I commend the effort to try to win on the road which, like the others have mentioned, is not something they have tried to do in the past. Orlando was begging to be beaten today and it almost happened, if not for the fact that Gaddis is not a professional player.

buzzkiller23 repped this.
  13. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've actually been playing like this since May. They've been improving every game. Hell, they played very well against Portland and really should have gotten at least a point in that game if not for two individual errors.

They're one poorly timed Gaddis challenge/Will Johnson dive from taking all 3 points tonight.

Again, Orlando was begging the Union to take all three points. They are clearly a team that is mailing it in. The Union are also clearly a better team this season. In years past they would have lost this game tonight, in addition to the New England games. Probably wouldn't have won against DC midweek either. They just took 13/15 points from teams they are in direct competition with for a playoff spot. 7 of those points came on the road too!

thomas19064 repped this.
  14. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    They’ve done well. They are playing much better. They’ve got two weeks to heal up cause the last few games matter. They’re in the playoffs, they’ve got a 10 point lead on a shit Revs team. If you give DC all 9 in the three in hand they’ve got, we are still 4 points clear.

MTL - 3
    @SEA -0
    SKC - 1
    @HOU
    @CMB -0 Cup hangover
    MNU - 3
    RB - 1/3
    @NYC- 1/3

I’ve got them getting 8-10 points thinking they’re going to only win one of the NY games or draw both. I don’t see them losing both. Tough to predict because the first round byes might be set by then so who knows who rests starters. The NYC game may be the preview of first round playoff. I’m not fussed about the dropped points last night. They’re going to track right into 4th/5th and win a trophy. The only way Curtin blows this and enters Marv Levy territory if he completely botches the lineups for KC. If there was ever a game to start Creavalle, Jones, Fabinho and Simpson, it’s this one. Rest to Win that Cup and we’re playing Champions League matches and celebrating a trophy.

15. EdBacon

EdBacon Member+

Apr 6, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'm not doubting they'll pick up a playoff spot, but I'm still not sold they won't just limp in and go out in the first round.

It's an improvement for sure, but they need to actually do better than losing a Cup final and a first round playoff exit. Otherwise we're right back where we were in 2016.

16. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is fair. especially if they don't retain Dockal.

17. djramone

djramone Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know negativity is your shtick, and I appreciate the fact that the first part of your post was fairly complementary, but this statement makes me believe that you haven't actually watched any of the Union games recently, maybe just the highlights. Gaddis will never be an all-star, but in a salary cap league with a dearth of LB talent, he is above average (seriously, have you seen some of the FBs in this league?).

Since you only pop-up when something bad happens, you did see Fabinho against Portland, right?

cwelch999, Phillyspur, drewuke and 2 others repped this.
  18. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always love a good "tell me how I should feel" Union fan debate.

buzzkiller23 and EdBacon repped this.
  19. EdBacon

EdBacon Member+

Apr 6, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Tell me how I should feel about the Union.

UnionDues repped this.
  20. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happy they are doing better, sad that they aren't doing more.

21. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP

It would be a hugely pleasant surprise if the Union ponied up the $$$ to pay the hefty transfer fee............unfortunately that is NOT happening.

22. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I think they win the Cup and a first rounder. Pretty sure nobody here is accusing me of being the overly optimistic sort. Two years ago I was out front saying they’d make the playoffs. I’m not negative about this team, unfortunately I’m realistic. To Ed’s point, yeah failing to win the Cup and limping out is cause for termination for everyone from Albright and Curtin to the schmuck who didn’t order enough dogs for dollar dog night (thought I’d forgotten about that, well I’m still bitter). And realistically, a Cup win and a FR loss is ok, not great, because I’d like to get that “9 years 0 postseason wins” thing off our back.

cwelch999 and jaykoz3 repped this.
  23. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if that were true, how has this club shown that it is deserving of that level of support?

24. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am 100% with you in that I'm a realist also. I'm certainly not overly optimistic but I'm not negadelphian either.

Realistically though, the Union are underdogs in the USOC Finals and will be underdogs in the playoffs unless they can move into 4th place which seems unlikely.

I'm hopeful that they'll win the Cup and/or a playoff game but realistic that losses all around are most likely.

drewuke and jaykoz3 repped this.
  25. djramone

djramone Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]