PBP: 2018 Match Day #15: Union v. Toronto FC, June 8, 2018 p/d/p

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by cwelch999, Jun 2, 2018.

?

Predict The Outcome: Union v. Toronto FC

Poll closed Jun 8, 2018.
  1. Win

15.4%
  2. Loss

66.7%
  3. Tie

17.9%
  1. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure @Phillyspur was referring to coach Curtin gushing over McKenzie & Trusty keeping Gio in check.......Non-Local media members throwing praise should be taken as a good thing.

As fans of the Union we tend to be overly critical/cynical about the team/players the majority of the time.

2. EdBacon

EdBacon Member+

Apr 6, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Given this franchise's history I don't think its unwarranted.

Besides, I don't have the energy to be unrealistically optimistic about this team. That takes effort. It's what they have interns for.

3. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Went to a friends house to watch the first Mission: Impossible. Seems I didn’t miss much.

Side note: It’s crazy how the tone of the Mission: Impossible films have changed with each installment.

4. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's even crazier, is each movie is better than the previous one. The first movie, IMO, is the worst of all of them.

5. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The national media love the Union because they "play the kids"

6. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, so too do the Nat Team Fans over in the yank forums.....:sick: those threads...........they sure have "interesting" takes on things.........

7. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    I don’t think it is new...a college football team destined for a 3-9 record will play the kids. An NFL team that starts 1-6 will play the kids. An NBA team...well, what are they saying about the Cavs now...they mortgaged their future to try to win now.

It might be optimism for the future, it could be a better excuse for losing, it could be the fans will revolt if the same crew goes out every game, it could be the veterans are more likely to give up, it could be expectations based on seeing most struggling teams do something similar or a combo of all of those.

I won’t make them start another thread again but in a city where supposedly everyone agrees it makes sense to come in last to be first why would the soccer team be well advised to struggle with overpaid veterans to claw their way into the last playoff spot and then get new overpaid veterans the next year to repeat the process?

If they brought in veterans to get to the finals or gain promotion that makes sense but once you realize it is only a question of when the offseason starts it makes sense to start playing the kids.

8. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Probably because those people only care about the American players developing, not the Union results.

9. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Precisely. They view the Union like we view Bethlehem Steel.

10. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm torn a bit on the issue, I am and have always been a USMNT fan first, club second. Part of me really appreciates the Union striving to place a lot of effort in bringing up youngins through the academy system and giving them first-team experience, these opportunities are needed more and more in American soccer. The Union supporter part of me cringes in frustration every time I see the team's defense have a breakdown on simple marking and positioning (and sometimes even hustle); things you cannot afford to continue to let happen at this level. It's a bit of a quandary for me, but at the end of the day I want to see the Union field a competent squad and be competitive.

11. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    If the alternatives were winning with vets or losing with young guys I’d feel differently.

That doesn’t seem to be our current dilemma.

OwlSaver, thomas19064, cwelch999 and 2 others repped this.