PBP: 2018 Match Day #14: Atlanta United FC v. Union, June 2, 2018 p/d/p

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by cwelch999, May 31, 2018.

?

Predict The Outcome: Atlanta United FC v. Union

Poll closed Jun 2, 2018.
  1. Win

6.1%
  2. Loss

81.8%
  3. Tie

12.1%
  1. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't discern an obvious bump, but it does appear he puts his hand on the ref as he is giving the yellow card.

It doesn't matter if it is hard, soft, or not - You. Don't. Touch. The. Ref.

And 2 Union players who have enough Pro experience to know better had that same option #1 and chose to continue, as well.

YoungRef87 and jaykoz3 repped this.
  2. SOBtilIdie

SOBtilIdie Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #52 SOBtilIdie, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2018
    Just cause they don't go to the monitor doesn't mean the play isnt looked at. But if it's not an obvious clear mistake then it doesn't get fully reviewed. They right call was made and there was no need for review. This really shouldn't be an argument.

Honestly if I were a coach I'd suspend both players internally especially Haris for their actions.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  3. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The league might tack on extra games regardless. It wouldn't be surprising if both weren't given an additional game off.

4. sentrido

sentrido Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I disagree that it was clear and the var official should have had the ref review it. If it was confirmed so be it.

breslinp repped this.
  5. EdBacon

EdBacon Member+

Apr 6, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I mean I figured they'd find a way to bring us all back down to reality but I didn't expect them to do it quite so... dramatically as this.

cwelch999 and hasuprotoss repped this.
  6. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Despite all the drama, Atlanta almost couldn't get out of their way enough to nearly give us a point or more.

Tough one, indeed, for something that could have been much worse (or better).

7. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    D actually played well, much better with 9 men tonight than they did Wednesday with 11. The TFC game is going to be brutal. Hopefully Bedoya and Harris don't get additional games added to their suspensions for Friday.

Let's be honest, we all figured that they'd lose tonight so this isn't a shock.

8. breslinp

breslinp Member+

Jan 20, 2010
    Malvern, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No credit to 9 man Union team playing tough to the end. I need to go to reddit.

cwelch999, ScottyMac26 and Phillyspur repped this.
  9. EdBacon

EdBacon Member+

Apr 6, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    We're seriously crediting them for going down to 9 men and "only" losing by two goals?

Our expectations can't be that low, surely?

10. hasuprotoss

hasuprotoss Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, was anyone wearing the captain's armband after the sendings off? I didn't see it during the second half but my stream was crap

11. breslinp

breslinp Member+

Jan 20, 2010
    Malvern, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a road MLS game. Tough to win with 11. Let's not lose perspective.

drewuke repped this.
  12. MikeF

MikeF New Member

May 11, 2014
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I realize in a night that there is a laundry list of things to bitch about, here's mine....

I'm sure you don't spend much time practicing playing down 2 men, so when you find yourself in that position, you have to think outside the box (which is beyond our coach's capability). When you sub out Epps, why not put in Elliott and play with 3 center backs. This would clog up the middle, allow center backs to pick up diagonal runners and, most importantly, allow the outside backs to stay wide, rather than pinch inside to cover. You keep Creavalle central in midfield, have Fafa and CJ/Corey drop central when needed, and invite Atlanta to shoot from distance. Instead, you put in Ilsinho, a defendive liability and a player who's not going to run down any balls and who's 1v1 skills on the flank are useless playing down 2 players.

13. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #63 celt1997, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    And how many crossbars did they hit?

I thought Blake and the D played great for being down to 9 men and fighting through. But that's only part of the story.

ETA: Post-game showed the other side of the story - Atlanta had 31 shots, but only put 10 on goal. Yikes.

14. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Blake

hasuprotoss repped this.
  15. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Union were actually more organized on D with 9 men tonight then they have been all season with 11. What more do you want? This isn't a video game. Plus Ilsinho does do defensive work despite what some fans like to to believe.

16. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    I wasn’t thrilled at first but he did get the ball out of there a few times earned a free kick and set up a corner. It was a shooting gallery and another CB would have possibly ensured the ball never left the defensive end.

Seemed like it worked. I thought they’d sub for Fabinho given his age, although...he’d make a good volleyball player blocking those spikes with his arm.

17. Dulliwhig

Dulliwhig Member+

Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. In my opinion, bad penalty call. I would say 3/10 times that penalty is given. It's a dive.

2. I want to hear a very good reason for Bedoya being sent off. It was for something that he said to the ref. What did he say?

3. Haris was stupid for jawing at the ref, but f that ref. He likely overreacted in sending a player off for saying things he didn't like.

4. You can tell by his expressions and demeanor that he knew he had screwed the pooch after sending two players off after a borderline penalty.

It can be argued that it was a penalty, but if we had been awarded that, I would see it as a gift. Our captain and veterans should have held their composure and they blew it.

thomas19064 and Yo-Joe repped this.
  18. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is an unintended consequence of VAR, or at least a situation made worse by it. I'd be willing to bet the Union players were mad that the PK did not go to review. Denied due process, if you will. A few expletives later we are 2 men down. Not excusing the players at all, but a good ref handles it better.

buzzkiller23 repped this.
  19. UdiHrant

UdiHrant Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blake.

I'm 65 and have never seen two men sent off for non-contact dissent.

My only issue here is with Curtin. HJow does he see his team raped like that and stand there like a fu&*ing middle school vice-principle with his fu*&ng hands in his f&^ing pockets!

20. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I dunno.......sure looks like Trusty sweeps through Martinez' leg and brings him down. Stone wall penalty. Also....Harris bumps the ref, you can't do that. Also, not quite sure if Bedoya got a straight red or a second yellow (Stoics points to his pocket and then shows the Red).

21. SOBtilIdie

SOBtilIdie Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both Haris and Bedoya got reds for 2 yellows.

Bedoya was already on a yellow from his foul in the 11th minute.

Anyone that is blaming the ref for anything tonight needs to get their head examined. 100% on the players and their piss poor conduct.

22. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was pretty Uniony.

I see everyone being all sports fan stoic and saying we shouldn't blame the refs... But I see people do that stuff all the time arguing with the ref and it's never a card, let alone red. And I see contact like that not called a pk all the time, too. It's all subjective and could have gone either way. Oh well. I expected them to lose, anyway.

I'll give then props for playing hard 2 men down.

buzzkiller23 and breslinp repped this.
  23. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #73 jaykoz3, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    Just going to put this here:

1003105442820710400 is not a valid tweet id

Jim Curtin will be hearing from the league's offices on Monday I'd imagine:

24. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Pretty milquetoast to me. The passive voice is useful like that.

thomas19064 repped this.
  25. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Looking back at the game with an even head, I think the ref had a really good game tonight. I'm not a fan of the second yellow on Bedoya, but I can see where he is coming from on that one. Every other call was right. Union reddit is going insane, I guess that's what happens when you go on a 4-game undefeated run and forget you are the still the Union.