2018 LA Galaxy Season Predictions

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Beirut, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We are less than a week away from the start of the 2018 season and that means it's time to think about how we'll do.

I'm thinking we're a wild card play off team. We won't win the wooden spoon, but we'll compete for that final playoff spot.

I also predict we'll have to be active in the summer market-- some of our new players seem like they'll struggle.

Ola will be our top scorer and perhaps MVP, but our surprise player will be Carrasco.

2. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're still too weak up top and in defense (though improved in both spots). There is literally zero hope beyond Kamara in the forwards group.

The only way we'll be very successful is if the Dos Santos brothers surprise us. Not convinced that will happen.

Otherwise we are super mediocre.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  3. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of complaining about the Marketing team

Berks, Namrog The Just, cleschke and 8 others repped this.
  4. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If only there was promotion and relegation...

cleschke and hav77 repped this.
  5. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking 4th place finish if we're lucky with injuries. Sigi and Dom are quality coaches, and our team has definitely upgraded, but it's hard to have any lofty expectations. I hope to enjoy Galaxy soccer again!

Namrog The Just and mbar repped this.
  6. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think LAG may sneak into playoffs.

73Bruin repped this.
  7. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Regal

Regal Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on how we played in the pre-season, I'd say we ain't gonna make the playoffs.

9. JPAR

JPAR Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We are a very average team through the summer (just outside the playoffs). We sign Zlatan and a defender in the summer, squeak into playoffs and exit first round to a team that plays like a team. Gio sucks again, because he has sucked every year as a G. Oh, and Bingham is not the answer at GK, should have signed Ousted. Klein declares the year a success and gets another 5 year extension on his contract. Vagenas gets the corner office. Perry Kitchen and Kamara are the best players on the field.

Namrog The Just, shelbo and mbar repped this.
  10. generaladmissision18

Jul 29, 2011
    Highland park, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We make it as the fifth seed, and becausd I’m an eternal optimist, I say we magically catch fire and win MLS Cup in extra time.

TrickHog repped this.
  11. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lletget coming back will help. Dos Santos bros, Joao disappoint again. Cole injured most of the year. Kamara is good. Alessandrini takes a step back. Defense is a little better but still the weak link. Fight for a playoff spot, barely make it, lose, quick exit.

13. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Concur with most of this. Like last year though I’m going to say a respectable showing in USOC, because unlike Curt, Sigi isn’t dumb. He knows appearances in a cup final buy you time and winning them gets you to the next season.

14. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the style of last season:

Finish: 4th
    Playoffs: 2nd round exit
    Golden Boot: Kamara
    Assist Leader: Alessandrini
    Surprise Player: Hilliard-Arce
    Disappointing Player: Feltscher
    Is Sigi still the coach at the end of the season?: Yes
    Is Sigi still the coach at the beginning of next?: Yes

• Kamara will do well (10+ goals)
    • Gio will be the weakest link in an otherwise MLS contending front 6, but I think he'll do better than last season.
    • Kitchen's going to be one of the most important pick-ups over the break.
    • Someone unexpected is going to step up and be "the answer" on defense, helping things fall into place: look for Arellano, Romney, Hilliard-Arce or Klimenta to make a splash.
    • Bingham will come into his own as he builds confidence, but will still be just average.
    • With a full pre-season, Jona is able to put his stamp on midfield (admittedly, more wishful thinking than prediction

Berks, Namrog The Just, JPAR and 5 others repped this.
  15. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I predict they'll play 34 games, win some, draw some, and lose some. Beyond that, who knows?

17. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think my 2017 prediction was spot on.

This year I'll go out on a limb and say we sneak into the playoffs, then who knows.... I do think we will field strong lineups and take the USOC seriously and at least make the Semi's....

18. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time for me to be a debbie downer. I just don't see this group as it's currently assembled doing much. Maybe still in the hunt for one of the final spots but we have a lot of players I just flat out don't like.

Goalkeeper:
    We'll live or die by David Bingham. We have a lot invested in giving him the time he needs to see if he can get back into good form, but man has he looked shaky in pre-season. I can see his confidence shattered early due in large part to a bad defense around him and he fails to return to the form that had him on the fringes of the USMNT. Unfortunately for us, Slyvestre is as advertised: a 2nd division goalkeeper. He'll get a few starts in the Open Cup and we'll be knocked out by a lower division team thanks in large part to an error of his. Vom Steeg doesn't feature unless we get hit by the injury bug, and he'll spend most of his time with G2.

Fullbacks:
    The starting spots are Cole's and Feltscher's to lose, which the latter will do slowly and painfully. Rolf's resume is just awful and at this point I haven't seen anything impressive from him in the pre-season. He'll end up getting most of the minutes at RB but we'll try out Klimenta and Cato who will both be unimpressive. Cole has another half decent year that people will call "solid" purely because he looks a lot better than the other defenders on the team. His age is already apparent and his offensive abilities will continue to be approaching nil but he'll still be a smart player on defense. If he stays injury free, he'll play most of the minutes on the left. Romney and Arellano won't see much time on the left in MLS play unless Cole goes down. If he does, Romney will fill in and be mediocre. Anyone who thinks Skjelvik can fill in on the left should note that while he was a left back up until two seasons ago, he was switched to center-back precisely because he wasn't playing well as a fullback. We won't use Skjelvik here any more than we did Van Damme.

Centerbacks:
    It appears that Skjelvik and Ciani are the starting pair. As much as I'm concerned who we pair with Skjelvik, I'm equally concerned that Skjelvik himself going to be good enough to consider our #1 centerback. He's got the pace to cover for his mistakes but I've not been happy with the pre-season he's had. Even if he's good, he'll need time to settle in and form a partnership and I don't think that happens quickly due to lack of good centerback options next to him. I think he has a rough start to the season but we press on with him and he eventually finds his feet to have a okay back half of the season. If Ciani isn't bought out pre-season, he'll get some start, lose us some games and quickly be benched. Steres, Romney and Hilliard-Arce get shots to be the #2 centerback and ultimately Steres wins it. Romney plays very sparingly (as does Arellano) and Hilliard-Arce looks rough in his minutes early on and given that we'll be battling for our playoff lives, we don't risk letting him develop and use Steres instead.

Defensive Mid:
    Kitchen is a terrier. He works hard and fouls a lot and endears himself to the fans. He'll also miss some games to red cards and yellow accumulations. I personally probably won't like his recklessness but he keeps the #6 on lock-down the entire season. Carrasco will see some minutes in the dog days but won't be a major factor. He'll be adequate in his time and that's about it.

Center Mid:
    Jona is here and plays well. Nothing really to say there except he probably doesn't play to his salary but is still the most important central piece in midfield. Pedro doesn't improve from last year and continues to be the embodiment of mediocre. Baggio will want a piece of that action, though, and will see plenty of time filling in during call-ups and injuries and playing just fine but not really doing much. I'd be surprised to see Lletget centrally much this season.

Wing:
    Alessandrini has a worse year than last year despite having Kamara to cross to. He'll still put up a good g/a tally (18+) but he's not going to reach last year's numbers. Lletget recovers well from his injury and wrestles the starting spot away from Boateng. Lletget's play earns him his way back into the USMNT fold and has a solid year production wise, with 15ish g/a. Boateng continues to frustrate me and never develops the final ball. People will still love him because he passes the eye test and works hard but he has another bad year (and yes, last year was bad for him). He's Bryan Jordan with a better touch. Pontius will play on the wing a bit but will be mostly played up top due to our lack of options. BJIV, if healthy, might see some play on the right, as will Cato (if signed, which seems likely). Neither play will be great down the wing though.

Attacking Midfielder:
    Basically it's just Gio here, who will have a season somewhere between his 2016 and 2017 seasons. He won't get close to the MLS Best XI this season and we finally cut the cord on his experiment in the off-season. I don't like Alessandrini centrally and while Lletget could play here, I don't think it's his best spot as I'm not sure he has the abilities to play a #10. Attacking wide player or striker is where I think he'll be best utilized.

Striker:
    Well, we have Ola Kamara. That's good on the surface but he'll not replicate his goal tally for Columbus this year. We don't have a team that's designed to get him the ball in the way he was successful in Columbus and I think a large part of his and Kei Kamara's success is due to the way Berhalter designs the team. If Zardes has double digit goal production this season (which I don't necessarily think he will) then we can safely say that it's Berhalter's system that can turn these guys into high goalscorers in this league. That being said, Ola is still a huge piece that was missing from last year and I'm happy to have him on the team. He still is a double digit goalscorer for us. Our depth here though is iffy at best and unless we pickup another player we'll not have any other striker score more than 6 goals. BJIV struggles with concussions and even if he doesn't retire he just won't ever become the player his potential appears to be. Lassiter doesn't step up and scores at most 4 goals. I think we'll see lots of Pontius up top, which I'm not hugely excited about but at least he's full of experience which is nice. He'll end up with around 7 g/a. If Kamara goes down, we have no shot at making the playoffs.

Our Season:
    We start off slow and never really pick up a hot streak. By summer, we're within spitting distance of a playoff spot and make some mid-season changes (potentially even moving Gio) and end up in a low playoff spot as the season nears it's end. We fall back out of that playoff spot by the end of the season, however. Changes are made in the front office again. Maybe not Sigi but missing the playoffs means someone gets fired. Gio and Jona leave the club.

Finish: 7th in the West
    Playoffs: None
    Golden Boot: Kamara
    Assist Leader: Alessandrini
    Surprise Player: None, but I hope it's Hilliard-Arce
    Disappointing Player: Skjelvik (we'll have many worse players but he'll be disappointing relative to expectations)
    Is Sigi still the coach at the end of the season?: Yes
    Is Sigi still the coach at the beginning of next?: Yes

19. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It's not clear to me if the 538 rankings account for off-season team personnel turnover. I read the methodology pages and didn't see any mention of it. Some rating systems use individual player ratings and so naturally account for players coming in and leaving, others are just based on past club results. It seems 538 ratings are the latter sort. But I'm not sure about that.

20. wcmanes

wcmanes Member

May 28, 1999
    Riverside, Ca, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we'll fight to stay out of the relegation zone...and fail

21. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I've come to the realization lately, the I've been away from LA for so long that often times it's hard to get excited and into the team (see my spotty record of posting here the past couple of years as an example), but for some reason this off season has got me back into it.

I'm sure I'll end up disappointed in the end, but I'm going to hold onto my elevated excitement level as long as I can.

I recently moved from Dallas to Colorado, so will make my way down to Denver to see the G's this year in person as I did for the previous 11 years as a season ticket holder for FC Dallas. No season tickets for the Rapids though i'm not committed enough to make the 60+ mile drive (i lived *very* close to Toyota Stadium so it was easy), but plan on taking advantage of MLS Live (or ESPN+ or whatever it's called these days) to watch most as many of the games as I can.

Berks, shelbo, Namrog The Just and 3 others repped this.
  22. Namrog The Just

Namrog The Just Member+

L.A. Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 2, 2007
    Baltimore County, Maryland
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going out on a limb and saying that we'll finish somewhere in the top 20. It's a bold statement, but I'm willing to stand by it.

In honor of the upcoming season, I also want to do my part to help improve communication, comprehension and reasoned discourse on internet discussion boards. Far too often, it's tough to know what the proper response is in a given discussion when one feels that the other poster has not fully grasped the complexity of one's argument, or whose response is simply inadequate for the demands of reasoned discourse.

To this end I have created a meme of sorts, that while some may argue is obtuse, or too subtle to get one's point across, I believe that upon inspection and reflection, it will ultimately serve it's purpose in improving communication, comprehension and reasoned discourse on internet discussion boards. For the next 10 years it may be used free of charge. After 10 years I may restrict it's use via a paid subscription model, but I haven't decided that as of yet. Anyway here it is. Hopefully, it will be of some use and I will have done my small part.

Me You Meme_001.jpg

MPNumber9 and TrickHog repped this.
  23. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going to be optimistic as well. We make the playoffs, but I don't see us going far within it. Compared to last year, that's optimism.

napper, TrickHog and The Cadaver repped this.
  24. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's about where I am too. Hoping that going to the games will be more fun this year. The bar is pretty low.

TrickHog repped this.
  25. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Took this from GalaxyKoa since I mostly agree

I still think Sigi did an amazing job in the off-season, but fixing an entire team in one winter window is too much to ask. If 50% of the players work out, that's probably pretty good odds, but it's not enough for us.

kaburu, LEM-LAG, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.