2018 Jerseys

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Jan 27, 2018.

1. JYLO

JYLO Member

Sep 13, 2016
    Club:
    AC Ancona
  2. Markwhite01

Markwhite01 New Member

Jan 11, 2018
    Rochester, NY
    I Checked out the link, Black is nice one :)

3. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  4. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that rainbow assortment of orange is ugly.

5. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It is called the "secondary jersey" in the online shop. That makes more sense.

[​IMG]

6. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I bet it looks awesome on the field. It has a Houston look. I’ll have to try it on, to see if it’s something I want to buy.

7. Penwyth

Penwyth Member

Mar 10, 1999
    Earth
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks nice. Have the Astros filed a copyright and/or trademark infringement lawsuit yet?

Heft, Westside Cosmo and *rey* repped this.
  8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think the first black jersey is better looking. With no sponsor it looks odd and I expect to see “ellesse” or some Euro clothing brand across the middle.

The Dash retro Astros jerseys are better

9. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew I’ve seen this striping before!!

http://www.stuartslondon.com/blog/2011/11/09/ellesse-a-classic-and-retro-status/

Seems like another “original” idea that is about a year late from the FO

ChrizG13 repped this.
  11. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    This new jersey looks to me like an evolution of the last black one.

[​IMG]

They mostly just took the multi-hued orange stripes, added a few more, and straightened them out. So you could say the Dynamo have had this design element going since 2015 when it was created.

ChrizG13 repped this.
  12. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha! This is actually pretty true! Spot on!

I love the Jersey its BLACK, unique and has plenty of orange.
    when other fans around the league like your Jersey you must be doing something right. No complaints here.

13. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I think the rainbow might have worked if it was lower down on the jersey, which would have had the side benefit of opening up the sponsor space above the rainbow, like how the Astros lettered their jerseys. Since we don't have a sponsor right now, I don't think people are catching that's where a sponsor name should -- and probably will -- go.

Personally why not just minus the rainbow, just black with some orange around the edges. Simple. I kind of liked the black logo from last year. Take the rainbow off and swap in the '17 black jersey logo. Make the adidas logo orange also. It's kind of a mish-mosh.

It's ok. I think fans will prefer the '17 jersey. In a few years this one will be forgettable, unless it wins a trophy.

15. JYLO

JYLO Member

Sep 13, 2016
    Club:
    AC Ancona
    It is away?

16. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    "Away" is not very accurate which is why I avoid using it. The Dynamo mostly wear the orange shirt for away games. They tend to only wear their other shirt when the home team is wearing yellow or red although there is no hard and fast rule. The Dynamo wore the black shirt for 5 home games in 2016.

I think "primary" and "secondary" are better terms than "home" and "away".

JYLO and Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  17. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a Texan. Dynamo isn't my team. But as a kitnerd, I do like your jerseys quite a bit. As far as the sponsor ting, I just heard on Twitter that MLS and Post (the cereal people) came to some sort of sponsorship agreement. But how is sponsorship handled for individual teams? Might Post or one of its brands end up on your jersey?

18. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Post is looking towards going bankrupt or cursing itself by going into business or financial distress, sponsoring the Dynamo Jersey is the way to go. All our jersey sponsors suffer downturns after they sign up with is

19. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The individual teams make their own shirt sponsor deals. The league has approval and gets a percentage but they are mostly done locally. It is possible that the Dynamo could wind up with Post on their shirts but it doesn't seem likely.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  20. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    It's unlikely that Post is a Dynamo sponsor, I assume that's a league sponsorship or commercial relationship. We haven't had leaguewide shirt sponsors since they used to have the front and back patches sold at the league level. Which predates the Dynamo. Now that the league has some traction, at least for sponsors, there is probably more cash to be had individually than as a whole.

21. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    http://sbisoccer.com/2018/02/a-look-at-each-new-kit-for-the-2018-mls-season

Reality check on this year's jerseys. I think we have a distinctive black and may have gone with the flourish since so many are similar in style. If we'd gone the way I suggested, it would be a pretty look (all you have to do is imagine orange instead), but there would also be two similar black and gold unis and two similar black and silver unis. So we have a unique black jersey relative to convention but perhaps also the least attractive.

I kind of like the Atlanta white with peach jersey, which could have worked with our color scheme. But we have rarely ever done simple.

naranjableeder repped this.
  22. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love how they say in that article "The Dynamo’s new secondary kit features tonal orange stripes to represent diversity in their city." ..... not one person looking at it would say that. I know how diverse this city truly is and I don't think that! ********ing garbage.... admit you took the easy way out and put up 10 different orange colors on a jersey. We speak over 150 different languages and represented by over 92 Countries in the city.... nothing on that jersey says that! Dallas.... DALLAS did a better job on their jersey. I actually like their jersey! Really shows the disconnect this FO has with its fan base.

Juve, I agree with you. White Jersey with Space City Blue where the peach is.... I'd buy it today! Shows the City Colors off perfectly! Add that will a Simple Orange Jersey, using the orange color we used day one! There is the history of this team and city wrapped into Two jerseys!

23. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #49 juvechelsea, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    I think it's become a US public relations thing to claim deeper meanings in soccer jerseys, but it's usually astroturfing and so esoteric it has to be annoyingly explained like watching an Olympics opening or closing ceremony. You can't just watch and get it, it has to be pedantically explained. That the meaning isn't obvious like a Chicago shirt subtlely referencing their flag, suggests there wasn't really any hidden meaning at all. if only the designer knows the easter egg it's not an easter egg.

I think you can get away with it domestically short of claiming to explain red, white, and blue on a USA jersey. I think on that if you started up all, "this is starburst blue, which represents......." you would soon be the fodder for talk show jokes. So there are limits here.

And I don't think it would fly abroad in the historical leagues. Can you imagine trying to astroturf obscure meaning or cutesy color names into a ManU jersey? You might get murdered and the courts might let them go free.

To be fair, they just start making crap up on third jerseys, and periodically that even seeps down to road gear. But such jerseys tend to just be handed down from on high, little or no explanation. I think Arsenal had to explain maroon, Cardiff got crap for blue/red. But if you're within the color scheme it's just a jersey drop, and the designer hopes they don't make some "worst ever" list. But the idea of explaining the costume, what is this, figure skating?

24. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha Exactly! I agree with everything you said! It's meant to make people feel a certain way to get to their wallet.