2018 Jerseys

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Jan 27, 2018.

1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I heard from someone in the FO at the Open Practice that the new secondary jersey will again be mostly black. And that the team is still working on a sponsor.

Then I come back to Big Soccer and find this over on the 2018 MLS Jersey thread. The poster over there says this is based on the description from an anonymous source that has been the new kit. The poster says he guessed at some details. That source said they didn't see a sponsor on it yet.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/2018-mls-jersey-thread.2079134/page-7#post-36269856

[​IMG]

ei1marti, NDS10 and *rey* repped this.
  2. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

More tonal orange huh? Can’t say I’m surprised given the latest marketing efforts....

[​IMG]

ei1marti repped this.
  3. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Going to guess the black Dash kits are being teased here as well lol

Attached Files:

ei1marti repped this.
  4. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Dash have never had a black kit but it wouldn't surprise me if that stripe motif is on a Dash orange, blue, or white kit.

5. slycat

slycat Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    How can they not have a sponsor yet? They've know for a while this was only a two year contract with BHP.

*rey* repped this.
  6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As of last February BHP was still in an option window but I don’t think anyone thought they would renew after the financial problems they have had globally. I have to think the deadline for BHP to have extended the sponsorship thru 2018 was last April or May just because it takes time to sign up a new one and for merchandising purposes their is a long lead time.

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2017/02/21/Franchises/Dynamo.aspx?

You would think if the Dynamo front office was the hot stuff they all act or pretend like they are they’d already have sponsors lined up for this premier category of a jersey sponsorship.

ei1marti repped this.
  7. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fly Emirates time!....this time for real!
    United Airlines at least?
    Southwest?

Spirit?

MannieG, ei1marti and *rey* repped this.
  8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whichever company buys the rights, short their stock, Dynamo jersey sponsors have been financially cursed right after they sign on as the sponsor.

9. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    This vato said Spirit. :D

That would be an ideal Dynamo sponsor. Entrance to BBVA would be $2, but then you would have to pay $28 for a seat, $1 to use toilet, and $5 extra to stay for the second half.

El Naranja, JYLO, DNez2001 and 4 others repped this.
  10. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'll take that deal. I don't sit down and I get really dehydrated for games so I'm good. $7 total!

ei1marti and ChrizG13 repped this.
  11. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    ei1marti repped this.
  12. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Are we going without a 2018 sponsor because the horizontal stripe design flourish is right where the sponsor should be. The 2017 chevron was meh but the higher location leaves blank space for the sponsor below.

I fall back on my sporting critique of black. It is hot in America in the summer, and inevitably this will be worn at home and not just away. But as an aesthetic matter it's ok, I think it would actually look better if you ditched the stripe and went simple, black with orange logo and stripes around the edges in the normal adidas spots. But swirls and flourishes are in the DNA back to 2006.

Given our history of sponsor dogs the display of drawn out diligence and patience in selecting a successor is amusing. We have known BHP was gone a while, this is true. But more to the point, usually we suggest something obvious and solvent and they go with something obscure that ends up circling the drain, no possibility of continuity or renewal. Does maintaining our actual sponsor history really require time or just "Oh, never heard of you, where is the check?" If you actually want solvency then go obvious, Whataburger, Methodist, etc.

nbrooks503 repped this.
  13. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct.
    If anything, go down Highway 59 and stop at any and all of the high end car dealerships. Momentum BMW for example was a big sponsor of David Carr of our Texans back in the day. Even a brand like BMW with their logo, it looks baller, even if the money is not the highest it is money in now, IN HAND! Not waiting around for half a season with a plain chest for rent look like a few years ago. Just sayin' that in our sports culture, wearing a jersey with billboard ads on them is what it is for many Americans on the outside looking in on pro soccer. We've had Amigo Energy, which is not bad, but still a little goofy and not high end like Ford, Pepsi, Coca-Cola, Budweiser, Mercedes Benz and or BMW brand images.

14. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The organization will put out an email to all season ticket holders asking their opinion of a number of corporations. The one you've never heard of will be the next jersey sponsor

DonJuego, ChrizG13, 7seven7 and 2 others repped this.
  15. JYLO

JYLO Member

Sep 13, 2016
    Club:
    AC Ancona
    Heft repped this.
  16. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'm skeptical of this version but it is out there. And certainly reminiscent of the Tequila Sunrise Astros' jersey.

[​IMG]

Heft, ei1marti, Centuria20 and 3 others repped this.
  17. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #17 juvechelsea, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    They called it the rainbow jersey for a reason, and part of what makes them work is fading to white like a prism/spectrum.

For example:
    http://www.houstonsoccershop.com/product-p/it-061513.htm

or

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/800/SQ/SQAJNQPVPXWUMNO.20140505143940.jpg

or

https://www.sportsunlimitedinc.com/...Bing&msclkid=d765dee248f117d46b0084990c064e7e

If you look at the way Aggies or Astros are done, the white space for a name would actually make a sponsor logo "pop."

The couple concepts shown so far aren't that different from each other, and the black background makes it less of a fade effect and more like you painted some stripes on the middle of the jersey.

Also, when they're done well, the rainbow starts down at the bottom. It's not a jersey including a rainbow. The jersey is a rainbow. You lose the focus on the stripes in a sea of black above and below.

To me it just looks like a busy version of the old 80s/90s uniforms with the bar in the middle for the sponsor, except our bar would be multicolor.

I don't understand why we're avoiding doing something like the Dash uniform since that's basically our product and must have already passed intellectual property muster.

I still say I'd like to see the initial one that was posted minus the front stripes. Simplify. I don't assume they will because the stripey band on all the social media stuff suggests otherwise.

18. Centuria20

Centuria20 Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    [​IMG]

*rey* repped this.
  19. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC United's new jerseys is gorgeous! I want one, but cannot see myself ever wearing or buying another jersey from the MLS that isn't Houston.

20. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Not real complicated, there's a difference between a black jersey with some stripes on it, and a rainbow jersey with a little bit of white or black showing. This (assuming concepts) is just a black jersey with a few stripes slapped on it. Would look better just black with orange logos and numbers. If you wanna go rainbow you have to commit like the Dash jersey did.

21. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't the fact that it is black.... I like our Black Jersey very much and need to buy one, I also liked out Third Jersey we had a while back. DC's jersey just looks sharp and has a couple little trinkets that won me over. For example the coordinates of the new stadium on the back, the writing on the bottom, their logo has always been sharp to me and the offset grey stripes. Just a over all well done jersey in an age of garbage looking ones.

I have preface the above statement with the fact that I lived in DC for almost 2 months about 10 years ago and went to a lot of DC games. I do have a love for the team and RFK Stadium (RIP) for that fact and I was in the stands for what has been the greatest game I have ever witnessed live (USA v Costa Rica) that put us in the WC. If the Dynamo didn't exist, I'd be a DC United fan.The Dynamo has and always will be my team and the logo is literally tattooed on my chest.

22. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Right next to your Oilers tattoo?

naranjableeder repped this.
  23. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Since you like it so much, do you think it's possible ours ends up the orange and black stripe version of DC?

https://www.dcunited.com/post/2018/02/05/inaugural-audi-field-primary-jersey-now-sale

Can't quite visualize a DC-style Dynamo jersey so I can't say whether that would be better or worse than the chest stripes concepts already posted.

To be fair to the Dynamo (assuming), the chest stripes thing (if true) is ok, not bad, not as good as last year. Part of my grump is probably I think the concepts and ditch the stripes would be NICE, missed opportunity. And I'm very sure based on history plus social media we're going more "busy." More like DC or the concepts. This team started with swooshes, we don't do simple.

I think a fanboy might like some small touches in their keepsake but if you don't buy it and study the lore, your average fan is thinking whether the basic design is embarrassing to see on tv, or conversely on their shopping list. You can't see some small item on tv. You don't know if some item is supposed to be an easter egg or have deeper meaning. You just think broadly speaking do I like the look.

I still say quasi-"Spain" is the best they ever did. It's a shame that disappeared.

24. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haha! not old enough to do that! I'm only 33 and wasn't a football fan as a kid... now there might be a Astro's tattoo in the works.

I'll get an Oiliers tattoo when Liverpool wins the league ;)

I kid I kid! United fan to a Liverpool fan!

Heft repped this.
  25. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am a sucker for easter-eggs that have real meaning. If is has history tied to it and it looks good consider me sold! I've hated most of our jerseys because they are way to busy for my liking.

Give me simple Orange jersey with Space City blue in it, tastefully. Give me 1836, maybe Sam Houston or the San Jacinto Monument . If Columbus move to Austin we could place in there a jab at both them and Dallas by saying "The Original Capital of Texas"!!!

Celt-Tex(Sam) is super knowledgeable on the history of Texas. When I first met him at my first game June 3, 2006 against LA, he immediately schooled me on the importance of the Ultras and I didn't miss a home game for almost 5 years.