2018 HOT Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by spykemanne, Mar 17, 2018.

1. CASLKING

CASLKING Member

Houston dash
    United States
    May 20, 2018
    In the end it is all speculation and rumor isn’t it. But what I can tell you is that the coach named will be someone with strong NC ties, but working out of state now as an assistant.

I can also tell you that it is not as low funded as you think, in terms of scholarship anyway. If they recruit only instate players they have 9-10 scholarships available.

2. cali.soccer

cali.soccer Member

Aug 25, 2007
  3. allovercollegesoccer

Dec 12, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Whats gone on at UTRGV??

4. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If UNC-Asheville only has 9-10 scholarships then that is a big disadvantage. I take back some of my critical comments about GW hiring Demko now that UNCA’s funding and scholarships situation has been stated here. If you only have 9-10 scholarships (and being limited to NC players only in order to stretch that) then you are significantly hampered playing against opponents that have more $ than you do, which is the case in their conference. Think of it this way if you are at UNCA: when you play a fully funded opponent their first, second, and thirds subs are on more $ than most of your starters. Huge disadvantage.

InconspicuousCoach repped this.
  5. Red_devil99

Red_devil99 New Member

United
    United States
    May 20, 2018
    Jacksonville only has 8.9. Unless they invest more, new coach is going to have to stretch the money.

6. William49

William49 Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Chicagoland
    I wonder how much UNCA is handicapped by being a liberal arts college as opposed to a full university? Or if maybe there's a way of turning that to their advantage?

7. StevenLa

StevenLa Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  8. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I've said it once and I'll say it again...REALLY good year to be a DI assistant. Anywhere.

9. royturner

royturner Member

Jan 3, 2012
    nothing says we're improving our program like hiring a coach with a 32-37-11 record and being a volunteer assistant as the highlights of one's coaching resume

10. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Program at UTGRV has been competitive last couple of years though. I don’t know how much this coach had to do with this, but there have been worse hires- Incarnate Word for example.

11. Red_devil99

Red_devil99 New Member

United
    United States
    May 20, 2018
    Record might be a little deceiving as they started the program 4 yrs ago. Two consecutive winning seasons shows they were building and we’re making progress it seems like. I don’t know her, or what type of coach she is, but she seems to fit the mold of what people thought I was going to be hired... Assistant coach making jump to head coach with ties to the state of North Carolina which would obviously be beneficial in Asheville.

12. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014

Define: Competitive

Look at who they beat over the last 2 seasons in their out-of-conference schedule

13. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014

What a place like Asheville needed was a veteran coach with credibility and recruiting ties to NC/VA/SC

outsiderview repped this.
  14. Red_devil99

Red_devil99 New Member

United
    United States
    May 20, 2018
    Won’t argue that those characteristics would have been good to hire... just don’t know how many of those are around. Most of those are probably in better jobs already.(if salary is as low as posted). Some D2 jobs in state are probably even better paying.

As for UTRGV, they did play some bottom feeders, but went 4-2-1 in WAC. Most recruits these days would rather 9-8-1 against average or below competition than 6-11 playing power 5s.

WACySOCCERWORLD repped this.
  15. cali.soccer

cali.soccer Member

Aug 25, 2007
    They had a chance to hire a guy with these ties but UNCA Failed in the interview process. Time to move on and wish the new head coach all the best. Welcome to Ashville and we wish you the every best.

16. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
    I heard UAPB hired

17. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Can confirm this, 2 people prior turned it down including Canisius Assistant.

18. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    If you asked female college players in most sports;
    1. who are your conference opponents?
    2. name 3 power 5 schools?

90% would fail miserably...Sorry....

19. CASLKING

CASLKING Member

Houston dash
    United States
    May 20, 2018
    Sonia Curvelo, former Cleveland state, has been hired at prairie view A&M, but she is Canadian and there are some visa issues, therefore no announcement yet. She has accepted the job about two months ago and still no word.

calcio1919 repped this.
  20. decidedbyall

decidedbyall Member

Jan 22, 2014
    You should be removed from the interwebs discussing women's college soccer with a comment like that. Gross.

21. USsoccerguy

USsoccerguy Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL. Idiotic statement.

22. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #147 Holmes12, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Fish is right for non-P5. It's not demeaning, the kid's couldn't care less. They're not picking from those non-P5 schools based on w-l, opponents or any of that,

money, proximity, location, most name recognition for a non-P5, etc.

23. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're saying the Pac 12 players don't know who their Pac 12 opponents are, the ACC players don't know their ACC opponents, the SEC players don't know their SEC opponents, the Big 10 players don't know their Big 10 opponents, and the Big 12 players don't know their Big 12 opponents? And, the Ivy League players don't know their Ivy opponents, the West Coast Conference players don't know their WCC opponents? You're saying players from those conferences couldn't name North Carolina, Florida State, Notre Dame, Penn State, Florida, Texas A&M, Stanford, UCLA .... Those conferences alone are about 25% of the players.

24. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Disagree, those of us with kids in the recruiting game know that by the time they graduate most have more than a passing understanding of conference alignment.

calcio1919 and Kurt Kline repped this.
  25. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Naah, Parents and kids, mostly parents, offered by William & Mary, for example, don't even know nor care they play Delaware or Northeastern and whomever else is in the whatever conference. Hofstra? They just see the four criteria i posted above and D1 (forgot this)