2018 HOT Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by spykemanne, Mar 17, 2018.

1. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Why would you say that? Looking at his bio everywhere has been successful during his tenure as an assistant. Granted he was not the head coach, but Miami was good when he was there, Loyola was good when he was there, and now Miss State made the NCAA for first time in program history in his second year there. This is a big jump and he lacks the HC experience, but he has been a part of some successful rebuilds.

2. allovercollegesoccer

Dec 12, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    successful rebuilds yes but all done by Tom Anagnost. He might be a total whack job but all the success of most of those programs you mentioned is down to Tom.

3. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Tom was not at Loyola and that team went to sweet 16.

Take the three years he was at LMU 38-19-6 and compare that to the year before him and two years since leaving 15-36-9. Again, he wasn't the head coach, but she was there before him and after him and hasn't done that well. Time will tell.

4. allovercollegesoccer

Dec 12, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    and this I said 'most of the programs you mentioned', I didn't all the programs you mentioned.

5. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Yes you did, in your first sentence.

outsiderview repped this.
  6. Vadbill7

Vadbill7 New Member

Liverpool
    United States
    Dec 18, 2018
    Yale job filled by BF from Stony Brook.

7. upper left

upper left Member

Crystal Palace
    Uruguay
    Jan 27, 2018
    I guess the American East conference is the new hotbed for young coaching talent?

8. Lord Kril

Lord Kril Member

Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Jul 3, 2018
    Are his international connections going to work in the Ivy League?

TA has "moved on" 3 Associate head coaches in 12 months. Time does and certainly will tell.

9. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
    Talent remains to be seen!

10. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Did not see an official announcement on Faherty to Yale. But if true that is a strong hire. He did well in 3 years at Stony Brook. Northeast guy but also decent job of west coast recruiting (used his Washington asst coach ties) and a couple internationals which he will need at Yale. Good move for him

11. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  12. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Either he is great on the phone selling his people or no one wants to work for him for very long. 3 of his assistants landed good HC jobs in the last 12 months ECU, CMU, Oregon State and volunteer got an AC job at Richmond after last season as well.

Fact that he got two head coaches (Troy & Murray State) to leave places that were winning at to join him, makes me think he is good on the phone and has something good to sell. What job will his other assistant get!?

13. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    United States Virgin Islands
    Dec 19, 2018
    UWGB heard assistant coach at Ball State is front runner or another assistant coach. UIC any updates on what is going on there? Slow process the two horizon league teams with openings. Word on the street is they are interviewing similar candidates, as in the same ones, with UIC being the better position, UWGB will pick up the leftovers.

Jackson State surprisingly pays pretty good I've been told by a candidate who turned down an offer over the phone last week. Low 70's for pay, 3 to 4 year contract, and full time assistant coaches for fully funded program. They should be very competitive in SWAC with those numbers as only the top 4 schools there can compete with those numbers.

14. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Could be best move so far for coaching changes. Joe is very good and has recruited in the Pac12 and SEC. Its a small Catholic school but his nation-wide experience recruiting will pay dividends. This is a 'uh-oh' hire for everyone in the Patriot. It takes a few years/cycles these days but I bet Loyola gets a few transfers and is immediately better in 2019.

15. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
    Stony Brook open!

upper left repped this.
  16. Red_devil99

Red_devil99 New Member

United
    United States
    May 20, 2018
    On paper MK makes sense...
    he’s been a part of 2 power 5 rebuilds, both of which are programs that have no real chance to ever win their league, similar to OSU. If he can help them to the top half of the league and/or NCAA tourney like he did at um and Msu then it’s a homerun.
    Yes, he was an asst at all 3 last schools, but they all reached unprecedented success. Surely he has learned a thing or two under TA on how to rebuild. He certainly works hard on recruiting trail as evidenced by his appearance at what seems like everywhere. It is a gig very similar to Msu, as far as lacks big name appeal, but has the conf name as a draw. I think time will tell on this one and it’ll be a solid hire.

17. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Any word on Syracuse? That one has been open a while now, maybe realizing they aren’t the destination they thought they were? Indiana moved quick and got a good hire. Oregon State moved quickly and quietly and looked to have landed a good candidate. Will BC hire before Syracuse?

18. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hearing Syracuse just finished phone interviews and everyone they called was a female. Looks like they won’t have on campus interviews until after the new year so they’re taking their time apparently. A couple people they watched out to have already said they’re not interested so may be a tough role to fill. Wouldn’t be surprised if BC hires before Syracuse and with a far better candidate.

19. bigquestions

bigquestions Member

Liverpool FC
    Japan
    Nov 8, 2018
    I understand interviewing women and I think schools should but only interviewing women makes no sense. .

I feel like you are selling your program short if you limit yourself to specific genders, minorities, Americans etc. Yes, assemble a group of quality candidates and include minorities etc but to only limit yourself to a specific narrow part of the population actually in my opinion does a disservice to the said minorities. If the person is just the best candidate that checks a specific box but actually isn't the best candidate from a wide pool of candidates aren't you in fact setting them up to fail?

Said minority coaches have to compete against people who actually received their jobs fully upon merit regardless of what box they checked in regards to gender, nationality, sexual orientation etc. Maybe they're a bit more battle tested, had that one extra assistant job that's really given them a better foundation, instead of skipping a step solely because they were the best female candidate available at the time.

And before you think I'm a white male, I'm not. I want opportunities to be open for all and realize that historically they haven't been but I feel like the AD's are doing a disservice to their teams by limited their candidate pools.

HeadSpun, Footyballs and L'orange repped this.
  20. kickithard

kickithard Member

Jan 14, 2004
    VMI Head coach new Stetson head coach!

21. CASLKING

CASLKING Member

Houston dash
    United States
    May 20, 2018
    This is a great hire! Imagine trying to recruit to VMI...few places more difficult. It will be much easier for him at Stetson and he has proven to be a good coach by working absolute miracles at VMI. Only 6-7 places that were comparable in terms of difficulty,
    VMI might be the hardest.

22. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Great hire? Based on what? I took a quick look and VMI did not win a conference game last year with what appears to be a decent roster. RPI around 260 is about the same as Stetson. How did he get the job is a better question? Folks here on BS have said Stetson is not very good and not well funded so you want to predict how it works out??

Footyballs repped this.
  23. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    If your best candidate who checks a specific box is really good, they won't fail. It doesn't matter if there's someone else out there who is 'better' - there almost always is anyway.

24. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to my numbers, for the 2019 season, right now we will have 234 male head coaches and 92 females, with 2 female/male shared HCs, with some positions yet to be filled. That's as compared to 201 males and 99 females for the 2004 season, 15 years earlier.

upper left repped this.
  25. CASLKING

CASLKING Member

Houston dash
    United States
    May 20, 2018
    To win 7 games this season at VMI with wins against Campbell, Richmond or American is nothing short of a miracle. There is no way you can say those teams do have superior players in every way to what was playing for VMI - that’s coaching!

In 2017, they had a .500 record in the SoCon with wins over ETSU and Mercer. It is incomprehensible how teams like that, traditional schools, lose to a private military schools in women’s s soccer. Bottom line he is a great coach and those results show. VMI will never be as good again.

There are 7-8 jobs out there that should never get results against traditional university. HBCU, border schools, VMI, The Citadel and to a lesser extent the service academies. These are really tough places to coach, recruit and have regular success against more traditional schools and locations.

I think this coach from VMI will so very well at Stetson, solid hire, good body of work at a basically impossible place to recruit quality players to. That’s coaching!!

Footyballs repped this.