2018 HOT Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by spykemanne, Mar 17, 2018.

1. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Four slots not formally announced as filled:

Green Bay
    Hampton
    Prairie View
    UMass Lowell (although the Staff Directory lists Mira Novak as Interim Head Coach)

Hey, there's plenty of time left. Almost a week and a half. No hurry!

2. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. FutbolFan15

FutbolFan15 Member

Orlando city
    Brazil
    Oct 31, 2017
    Hampton just announced a new head coach has been hired! (Kevin Darcy) Current team consist of several incoming freshman, a few seniors and many of last seasons players have transferred or are injured. Good luck to him!

http://hamptonpirates.com/news/2018/7/26/kevin-darcy-named-to-guide-womens-soccer.aspx

4. FutbolFan15

FutbolFan15 Member

Orlando city
    Brazil
    Oct 31, 2017
  5. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wojtek Krakowiak now shows on the Green Bay website as their Interim Head Coach.

UMass Lowell has named Mira Novak as their Interim Head Coach for the 2018 season.

That leaves Prairie View. But hey, they don't begin pre-season practices until Friday.

soccerd repped this.
  6. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is Prairie View really going with last year's graduate assistant Andy Quiceno as their only coach, as indicated on their website? I assume that TBD TBD isn't a coach's name, although maybe that's who it is?

7. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We now appear to have a full slate of coaches:

The turnover this year was 50 positions as compared to 37 in 2017 and 29 in 2018.

We now have 237 male and 96 female head coaches, with 2 male/female head coach sharing arrangements.

In 2017, the numbers were 244 male and 88 female, with 1 sharing arrangement.

In 2004, the numbers were 201 male and 99 female. So although the females are up 8 this year vs last year and the males are down 7, the females are down 3 vs 2004 and the males are up 36.​

Fitballer and L'orange repped this.
  9. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What are some early names on the list carrying over from last year?

Surely Syracuse is on there, and not off to a good start losing at home to La Salle on day 1.

Georgia will be one to keep an eye on, they need to win. May be able to add LSU in there as well.

Are Indiana and Oregon warm yet?

Any thoughts on mid majors, I believe these programs have had a few tough years?

App State
    Belmont
    Temple
    Middle Tennessee
    Tulsa
    Louisiana - Lafayette
    Akron
    North Florida
    Marshall

10. staffstaff

staffstaff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 12, 2016
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hot seat-

Syracuse
    Colorado State
    Georgia
    Indiana
    LSU
    Michigan State
    Marshall
    Oklahoma
    Oregon
    Pacific (CA)
    Seton Hall
    St. Bonaventure
    Temple
    Tulsa

App State
    American
    Akron
    Canisius
    Charleston Southern
    Georgia Southern
    IPFW
    Lafayette
    Louisiana – Lafayette
    North Florida
    Robert Morris
    Saint Peter's

11. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IPFW-->PFW. Lost their home opener to Ball State. I was never familiar with IPFW. Were tey good as such? And, FTM, is Ball State?

12. StevenLa

StevenLa Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not sure Charleston Southern will ever be on the hot seat. North Florida was 9-6-1 last year so doubt she is either.

13. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

I’ve been saying Syracuse are hot for years as that has been word for a while but maybe Wheddon has some type of safety net as he should have been gone a while back.

Indiana and Iowa must both be hot in the Big Ten.

Not sure about Canisius being hot or how much they care. Not a fun place to go and probably hard to recruit. Akron is on fire they have been told they need to do better this year. Sometimes coming from a successful D2 program works out and sometimes coaching at the higher level is a struggle for coaches to adjust to.

Not as familiar with west coast but I don’t see pacific being hot they just got a new coach 2 years ago.

14. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That is a decent list. In the Pac 12 if you have Oregon on there then you also need to include Oregon State. In the ACC, Pitt and Miami made much needed changes which would leave Syracuse the next hot one. I wouldn't be surprised about Boston College either, if they don't make the tournament again this year. Been a while since they qualified, and them losing an associate head coach to take an assistant position at an Ivy is an ominous sign. BC like Syracuse has a fairly new AD and both athletic departments have made a few recent head coaching changes.

For mid majors, I do agree with some of those programs. But I also think some of those programs will always struggle given their lack of support. American only has 7-8 scholarships, and can't compete with Patriot League programs that are fully funded or at least close to it. St. Peter's has terrible support and a facility most high school programs would be embarrassed by. So not sure programs such as those would be on the hot seat as their administration support is far from adequate and therefore their expectations are low. Too bad as a program like American could thrive if they had the backing needed to be successful.

15. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Oregon beats Clemson. That'll help.

Terrible game btw. Nothing but long balls on awful turf.

16. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    QUOTE="Enzo the Prince, post: 37025074, member: 113619"]Oregon beats Clemson. That'll help.

Terrible game btw. Nothing but long balls on awful turf.[/QUOTE]
    It's turf, but it's not awful turf unless you think all turn is awful. (But, I don't like the field.)

The field certainly should not be an excuse for Clemson. Simply put, they lost. No excuses.

(I'm not an Oregon fan.)

17. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    The gap between the P5's and good mid-majors is even wider this year. Time for separate National Tourney's as 95% MM have no chance beyond 1st round.

18. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I've been there, it's genuinely awful turf. Not sure how you interpreted it as making an excuse for Clemson; I'm just saying it's a shitty turf field, even for turf. It's flattened out and hard with an insane amount of rubber pellets added, probably to try to make up for how flattened out the fibers are.

19. Lord Kril

Lord Kril Member

Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Jul 3, 2018
    Totally agree with this. Can we please also do a separate World Cup for small populous nations and large ones?

outsiderview repped this.
  20. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Tell that to Albany, Georgetown, Stony Brook, North Texas, Villanova, and James Madison who all got results this weekend against power 5 schools. Georgetown was in the final four 2 years ago.

Last year we saw Princeton topple a few on their way to the elite 8. You do not think that Santa Clara, Pepperdine, UCF, USF, Georgetown, etc. can compete with those schools?

21. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    You mentioned 12 schools of the 265 MM. That is .046.

22. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes, I gave examples. Would you like me to give you every mid major team that has beat a power 5 in the last 5 years, or advanced to the second round of the NCAA tourney? There are mid major teams that could beat teams from all the power 5 conferences. Just think letting Georgia compete for the power 5 national championship and not letting Princeton, Georgetown, UCF who are 2-3 goals better than them doesn't make any sense. Those schools have a better chance than Georgia/LSU/Oregon State/Oregon/Mich State/Iowa/Syracuse/Pitt/Louisville etc etc etc. of advancing and competing. We should start a new forum for this though.

23. oneofnine

oneofnine Member

Nov 21, 2011
    I understand schools such as - Georgetown, UCF and Princeton are not Power 5 schools. However, the landscape of D1 womens soccer is completely skewed. There are really 4 or 5 general tiers (I'm sure they could be broken down in to more) within D1. Georgetown and UCF are not mid-majors in the women's game. I agree, they are not Florida, UCLA or Ohio State. However, their ability to recruit players is far and above the majority of D1 schools. It may be due to budget, staffing, scholarship (cost of attendance included), academic reputation, etc. Therefore it is not a major shock if they beat a Power 5 team. For example - the recruiting budget of a Big East team (not Georgetown) is equal to the entire operating budget (recruiting, team travel, equipment, coaches gear, etc.) of a 20,000 student/"mid-major". This is not conjecture, it is a fact. And when you add the fact that soccer can sometimes be an incredibly unfair game (outshoot a team 28-2 and lose) and there are a couple of Power 5's that stink (Mich. State - they don't care)- it isn't a big surprise.

My point is that the gap between the Power 5's AND those just under them is indeed widening....no question. However, I am not in favor of separate tourneys......anyone watch Hoosiers - ha

Sorry.....I'm sure this should be a different thread

24. ref17

ref17 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    And that is different from NCAA basketball how? The world loves Cinderella.

outsiderview repped this.
  25. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Hey everybody, let's all listen to the guy who doesn't understand how scholarships work!