2018 grade 7 re-cert

Discussion in 'Referee' started by threeputzzz, Oct 10, 2017.

1. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    2018 registration requirements table for grade 7 from ussoccer website is below. The fitness test for re-certifying as a 7 has changed from not applicable to "Determined by the State Referee Association".

upload_2017-10-10_15-9-47.png

Any returning 7s been informed by their state that fitness testing will now be required?

2. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't heard anything about changes in NC. Everything still shows only the 7A has to pass the fitness test. Also, the "exam" wasn't much of a LOTG test. It was 50 multiple choice answers from the USSF videos on refereeing the adult game. They were mostly common sense answers.

3. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Oregon has always required the physical fitness test for grade 7. We are still doing the 12 minute run and 50 & 200 M sprints. (It's easier to administer with only one instructor.)

4. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    I thought USSF mandated no fitness test or assessments for grade 7 starting about 3 years ago.

5. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Good there should be a fitness test for grade 7. I had to take one back in the day when I was a 7. I know for my state it's not required. However, to be a 7 you have to work one of the adult leagues and find a class. I know it's not the easiest things because they don't always advertise them.

6. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    In MN every re-certifying grade 8 adult ref was required to upgrade to 7 - this was a couple years ago. No fitness test, no assessment, no requirement to work adult leagues so fine we're just adult grade 8s really. I don't know if other states did this. They created a separate grade 7 track (called ST7) for those looking to get to grade 6 that mirrored the old grade 7. I *assume* they are not going to re-instate the fitness test for the "normal" grade 7s, or if they do at least let us go back to being grade 8, so I'm curious what's happening (if anything) in other states.

7. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That's really odd. Why didn't they do what US Soccer referee's department was trying to encourage. More 9's for those in-house rec referees. Grade 8 for all those who want to do "competitive youth" and 7 for adult. 6 = State Referee.
    Our state hasn't changed the grade 7 (the best of my knowledge) but I am not a grade 7 referee anymore.

8. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that was what USSF wanted states to do. North Carolina has something very similar. Becoming a G7 is almost automatic for adults, with Grade 7A (similar to Minnesota's ST7) requiring a fitness test.

9. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    As maintaining G7 I had to run the grade 6 test this year. 35/40 and 6.8ish on sprint.

10. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Seems excessive.

We have two versions of 7. Those that just want the title basically just have to ask for it.

This planning to upgrade take the 45/45 fitness test same as 6s. They also have to pass one assessment I think.

11. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    "Mandated" is such a strong term. First, there is no audit or review by Chicago of what a state requires for any grade below 4. Second, there is no audit or review by Chicago of what requirements any individual referee has met or not met before they were registered, other than age. Third, in effect, our requirements are more stringent than the USSF template, not less.

When Chicago came up with the easy 7 standards, as others have described, there was a lot of foot dragging, passive-aggressive behavior by various states. Yeah, I (as SRA at the time) was part of that, with the agreement of our adult and youth associations. I was not the only one, however, by any means. Our decision was that the old grade 7 requirements were useful information for assignors about the ability level of referees. The new standards are an attempt to paper over the disconnect between Chicago's view of youth and adult amateur soccer and the reality on the ground, for referees and state associations. Their new standards assume that there is some bright shiny line between those refereeing youth and those refereeing adult amateur and it ain't that way, at least not down in the trenches in our state. As I've said before, our state's SRC office manager, who has never played soccer, much less refereed it, or even watched that much soccer, took the grade 7 test, without having read the Law book, and passed with a 90. What does that tell you?

frankieboylampard repped this.
  12. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    So..." the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl"

13. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But where’s the rum gone?

threeputzzz repped this.
  14. CPT_Hoolie

CPT_Hoolie Member

May 2, 2013
    Florida (South)
    In Florida the fitness requirement for Grade 7 is to pass the Grade 6 Sprint and Interval test.

I moved here from Tennessee which had the split upper/lower half Grade 7 (I was a lower half grade 7).

15. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Eastern New York, we are required to get an assessment, but not a physical fitness test. When I first became a 7, we were required to take a fitness test. I have not taken the re-certification test for a 7 yet this year, but I remember last year's was really easy and about managing an adult game.

16. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    Chicago had a goal of "lots" of grade 7's, they boasted, threatened etc and said "no fitness test can be required for G7". Many states ignored them. As SDI at the time in my state, I argued with Ryan in person so NH was on his radar because I told him how stupid I thought his plans were. NH took a "grey area" path, there was a path to G7, maintenance and even to get ready to be a 6 that met Chicago "rules". However there was a second path that required fitness test/assessment, just like the "old rules".

Now they are putting it back to the states by the sound of it, where it should be.

17. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    But, at the same time, they want to appoint the SRAs. ;)

18. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are the requirements for Grade 7 in Missouri:

Grade 7 – Referee

The purpose of this Grade 7 Referee is to prepare officials for the competitive youth game. Based on the level of training provided, U.S. Soccer recommends that these officials be assigned accordingly to best service the game.

upload_2017-10-16_9-33-39.png

Notes

All State Referee Association requirements must be made public.

All training requirements can be completed online and/or in the classroom setting as determined by the State Referee Association and there are no minimum number of hours associated with either requirement.

At a minimum, U.S. Soccer recommends that training includes the completion of all online training materials for the Grade 7 Referee Course.

To remain at Grade 7, any Grade 7 Referee who attained their date of grade prior to 7-1-2015 are exempt from fitness and assessment requirements.

To be eligible for recommendation for assignments in the Dev. Academy League or USSF Div 3 games, a Grade 7 must pass the Grade 6 fitness test and pass an assessment as referee on one game annually. That assessed game must be 80 minutes, DSC, 11 vs 11, by Grade 7 or higher approved assessor.

BTW - The Grade 6 Fitness test is 45-45.

19. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    In New Jersey, they did not enforce the assessment for Grade 7's as they did last year, but have already completed 2 of 3 classes for the fitness testing.

The sprints are easy to pass, but if you're one of the refs that strays only 10 yards each way from midfield, don't even bother showing up as you'll fail the relay portion.

Attendance so far has been abysmal. Many folks that upgraded in the past don't care about being "downgraded" since they'll get assigned the same type of games anyway. The total number of 7's in the state should drop down to double digits once the classes are done.

20. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Yeah, that's a big issue.
    Unless assignors adhere to the vision, and only assign 7s and higher to adult games, there's very little reason to be a 7 unless it's as a pass through to State.

21. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    In defense of assignors, I don't know of any assignor who spends even one minute a week thinking about what USSF's vision is. This is going to sound worse than it is meant to be, but assignors work for the league/tournament, not USSF or the state's youth/adult association. They don't get paid unless and until they get Mr. Fog A. Mirror on games. Then, maybe, they can think about whether Fog is the right guy for this game with these teams. IMHO, the good assignors do that, if only because they don't want to get the complaints from the teams, the ones who write their check, about the quality of officials they get. That's been the downfall of more than one assignor, in my experience.

Around here, we don't have a lot of referees who get to grade 7 and immediately drop back to grade 8. Assignors did tell me that they valued the information that this referee has met higher standards to get that grade 7. But there also are nowhere near enough grade 7's and above to cover even just the centers on all of the adult games we have. So grade 8's get those games, too. My daughter was doing a regular schedule of men's league games like anybody else, all solo in those days, as a 16 year old grade 8.

IASocFan and uniqueconstraint repped this.
  22. uniqueconstraint

Jul 17, 2009
    Indianapolis,Indiana - home of the Indy Eleven!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Mr Fog A Mirror" brought a chuckle and a memory from a few years ago.

Had an assignor at a tournament a few years ago who said, "If you can walk and chew gum, I want you refereeing this weekend. If you cannot, I want you on the line as an Assistant Referee this weekend"

23. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. YoungRef87

YoungRef87 Member

DC United
    United States
    Jan 5, 2018
    I am taking the fitness test this spring. I am upgrading to Grade 7 in Maryland.

Law5 repped this.
  25. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like I won't be able to take it until summer. No 7A for me until fall season.