2018 FSU

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Tom81, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Second game in the last two that Glory has not started for Costa Rica, I wonder if she has lost her starting role? Anyone with any insight?

2. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Well she came on as a sub, and got Costa Rica's only goal....so I say it was a successful tourney for her.

blissett repped this.
  3. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NIce goal, too!

4. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FSU gets lackadaisical with the ball and allows NC State to tie it with 2 seconds left in game, going to overtime 1-1. Bollinger let a cross go right through her hands and it bounced to a NCS player who chipped it in, should of been an easy catch for the keeper. FSU tried to run out the clock instead of keeping the foot on the pedal.

5. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FSU ties NC State. This game was maddening, I do not know how many times you can dribble into the keepers box only to pass it back out. Furthermore Deyna went down in the first OT period, maybe a hamstring. Bollinger dropped an easy cross, not doubt about that, which resulted in a goal of NC State. She was not challenged at all the entire second half and then she fumbles an easy ball, inexcusable. This game is a perfect example of why you don't try to kill time when you only have a one goal lead, that falls on Mark, too passive.

This senior class will go down as the most disappointing in the Krikorian era.

6. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Earlier this season Number007 said he thought FSU was missing something, but not sure what. I agree, it is not talent, but maybe its lack of leadership and/or cohesion?

7. Lagadema

Lagadema Member

Oct 13, 2018
    So frustrating. Someone please take the shot while in the box. PLEASE! No time for extra passes and unselfishness. There are times when this "team" looks like it's their first practice together. There's no question of the talent FSU has, but the killer instinct comes and goes too often. The results against clemson/nc state are inexcusable.

sweepsit and Crazyhorse repped this.
  8. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn’t see the game but that stat line is insane. And then giving up a goal in the final second. Just outrageous. Hopefully they learn from this and don’t let it deflate too much. Too many games like this this year.

Of all the problems to have though, dominating games and not quite being able to finish isn’t a bad one to have. More times than not they’ll finish your way

9. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bollinger dropped an easy cross which resulted in the goal, it was enough to pull your own hair out.

10. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where are we? StarTrek?

Crazyhorse repped this.
  11. Lagadema

Lagadema Member

Oct 13, 2018
    Berkeley so wants to push forward and create, but she can only go far before the back line is compromised. She'll be a future captain, maybe as early as next season.
    The goal Zhao scored today was by a player who decided enough is enough, I'm scoring. She's still getting used to the physicality, but there was something about her determination that said, at least to me, no more being pushed around.

Number007, sweepsit and Crazyhorse repped this.
  12. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha, thank you CP for bringing levity to the situation.

13. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Malia is one of my favorite players and definitely plays to win. Zhao has enormous talent, going to be fun watching her develop. A game like today missed Carle and Glory, two of the more attack minded players.

Number007 repped this.
  14. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Update on Deyna, after the game Coach K said she just cramped up, good news.

15. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    In fairness, there was more penetration in this game than against Clemson, and several shots from good positions. But there were also times players beat their defender, got into the box, then simply turned around and played a ball backwards for no great reason.

The NC State keeper made a lot of routine saves, and then pulled off one amazing save, the ball she pushed onto the crossbar with about 15 minutes left. Also - Deyna's penalty kick? I'm not sure what the plan was, but you need to do better than roll it slowly against a veteran ACC keeper.

That was NC State missing 2 of their 4 starting defenders, and they lost a 3rd just a few minutes into the game with what looked like a dislocated elbow. Good team but they were there for the taking.

16. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Deyna just mishit the ball. FSU was also missing Carle and Villalobos. Your right they were there for the taking.

17. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    I did...to me it starts and ends with DC. She is not the same player intensity or attitude wise this year and when your best player is like that it is a problem. She hangs on the periphery trying to do spectacular things, instead of rolling her sleeves up and being dominant. You see it in brief flashes.

I dont know why, but its clear.

FSU still have loads of talent, but attitudes is wrong. They dont step on anyones throat. Big ask to have a freshman from China step in and lead. They should be better. Lets hope they get ti together when the bigger games start

18. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I bring no inside info to this conversation, but I've been a keen observer of
    FSU soccer for nearly 2 decades now.
    This team has as much talent as any team we've had other than the NC team in 14. That team had studs plus a pace forward in Williams. They also had a difference maker in Dagny Brynjarsdottir who had an indomitable will to win and was willing to fight to do it.
    They also had one other thing this group doesn't. Chemistry!

Getting Gloriana and Gabby back will most definitely help, but IMO they lack chemistry. I don't see the love.
    As much as I love vintage Deyna, this team doesn't seem to love her as much as I'd like. That may be her fault. Maybe she's all about Deyna. Maybe teammates are simply jealous. I honestly don't know whose fault it is. I just don't see the unbridled SELFLESS passion I see with many teams.

Again, I don't know whose fault it is, but without chemistry, crap happens like against NCSt and early NCAA exits like 2 years ago.

Anyone with inside info on the team?

Number007 repped this.
  19. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    This is a personal observation and not specific to FSU, but I think Womens soccer in the USA is marketed in a way that feeds selfish behavior. Most players are rewarded for "getting theirs". I see this at every level.

Castellanos has been rewarded for being a great individual. Dont get me wrong, she has some GREAT skills, but now we are getting a truer picture of how her game integrates with teammates of similar ability when she is NOT by far the best player doing her own thing.

Ive seen her score great goals, im not sure ive seen er play many great all around games.

20. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    This is a personal observation and not specific to FSU, but I think Womens soccer in the USA is marketed in a way that feeds selfish behavior. Most players are rewarded for "getting theirs". I see this at every level.

Castellanos has been rewarded for being a great individual. Dont get me wrong, she has some GREAT skills, but now we are getting a truer picture of how her game integrates with teammates of similar ability when she is NOT by far the best player doing her own thing.

Ive seen her score great goals, I am not sure ive seen er play many great all around games.

21. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    We all have criticized Deyna for not being her vintage self.
    It has been mentioned before, but she may very well be worrying about her family in that hell hole of Venezuela. That type of distraction can certainly affect you.
    I wish her and every FSU player well!
    I'd love for FSU to win another Natty, but life is more important.

I have friends, relatives and loved ones affected by Hurricane Michael.
    I'm from Blountstown, and it was forever changed by that storm.
    Hope my musings have not offended anyone.

Number007 repped this.
  22. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    If I'm making an all time great FSU team do I include Deyna?
    Where do I put her.
    IMO there are a few locks off the 14 team such as Dagny B and Kristin Grubka. What about Cheyna W. and Carson Picket, Megan Campbell, Jamia Fields and Isabella Schmid who was not playing at full strength. Michaela Hahn?
    Older players India Trotter, Casey Short?
    Kassey Kallman, Kirsten Crowley?
    Can't have an all time team without Mami Yamaguchi.
    Kirsten Van De Ven
    Katrin Schmidt

On this team, Castellanos, Yao, Villalobos, Kuikka may ascend that podium.
    What about Pavlisko and Madril going forward.
    Anyone up for an all time team?

blissett repped this.
  23. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I'll take a shot.
    F Mami Y.
    F Deyna C
    AMF Dagny B
    WMF Carson P
    WMF India T
    HMF Kirsten Van De Ven
    D Katrin Schmidt
    D N Kuikka
    D K Grubka
    D M Campbell (throw ins were remarkable)
    GK Wys

Lots of room for debate!

sweepsit and blissett repped this.
  24. Got Jukes?

Got Jukes? Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Who else liked the change up??

Crazyhorse repped this.