2018 FSU

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Tom81, Dec 10, 2017.

1. justicefan

justicefan New Member

Sep 17, 2018

I agree with you. She has so much talent and I'm hoping we will see her take over the games in the ACC. Maybe I missed it, but why haven't we seen more action out of EM, MC or CR?

2. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    MC has been getting less time for the last 2 years.
    Emily M is injured and out for year.
    CR was injured and is slowly coming back.

3. Got Jukes?

Got Jukes? Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    I heard CR is now out for the year...

4. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Too bad for CR.
    The silver lining is we will have 2 proven players next year to help replace Kuikka, and Kaycie and or others.
    Madril is an absolute stud if she is back to full speed.
    CR has good potential, but needs development.

5. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I finally saw the kind of goal I've been waiting on.
    GV with the ball dribbling near the Right side of the box and deftly chips a ball into
    the box for a charging Orrante who one touches into the L side of the box.

Orrante may have earned some more PT. She didn't try to get cute and bring it down, or look for another pass, she just one timed it. We had some other close opportunities.

Our forwards just aren't super skilled with the ball. Give Orrante a look.
    Hope we pick up a fast and skilled forward in this next class.
    GV, DC, YZ and Patten lobbed some nice passes where a one touch may have done the job.

Hopefully we get a little more precise in the 2nd half.
    Give this team Cheyna Williams and I believe we are definitely CC bound.

6. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Deyna needs to be up top receiving the ball.
    We have no one up top who is skilled at all of the following:
    Receiving the ball w/o it bouncing 3 yards away.
    Turning 1v1.
    Making deft passes.

Get her up there Mark.

7. sweepsit

sweepsit Member

Oct 25, 2016
    SF, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This seems like the obvious best option to my unskilled eye, as well. There's no way it hasn't crossed Krikorian's mind, not sure what his hesitation is. I do have faith he is better at this than I am though! lol He may be thinking she can grow into a truly exceptional mid.... setting up teammates and taking some of her own. She has the vision and passing touch for it.

I bet Mark is pretty high on this team (well, I am). With that in mind, I'm sure he's looking for what will make them a great team, not just really good. It is frustrating to watch all of the building end on the poor touch of Dorosy or McFarland though. Curious to see where he takes them from here and into the heart of ACC play.

8. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cheyna's do not come around very often ;). As for the forwards, I agree Deyna needs to be at the pinnacle of our attack, but I think Dorosy is fine. Yes KM has had issues with her receiving touch, but you cannot teach her size and physicality.

9. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI, Carle is with the Canadian NT.

sweepsit repped this.
  10. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    She was with U20 earlier.
    Has she moved up to NT? With Fleming?

11. Got Jukes?

Got Jukes? Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Yes...she is gone.... great for her but not our defense.

12. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Id say maybe Deyna read this thread before the game because her two goals last night were FILTHY....She made the Va Tech defense look like dribbling cones and hit a perfect free kick from outside the box off the inside of the crossbar

13. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Agree, but a player perceived to be on that level is not evaluated on how well she punishes lower level ACC teams. We have to hope that this kickstarts her confidence.

A player like her playing well is why I watch women's College soccer

castate repped this.
  14. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FSU loses to Boston College 2-1. BC was all over FSU for a majority of the first half, the second half was more even. As has been the case in every game the counter attack was effective against FSU. Two bad giveaways by Howell and Zhao led directly to goals by BC. BC played harder and more aggressive, and was better with their passing, actually I think BC was better in every facet of the game. Coach Foley seemed to have watched the FSU-UNC game and employed the exact strategy against FSU. I was caught off guard by how many athletes BC had. Kudos to Boston College, a well deserved win.

As for FSU, I think it is a detriment to the team to play Deyna in the midfield. She is not a good distributor and had some bad turnovers today. Deyna is opportunistic and a sharp shooter and has to be up top, the tip of the spear so to speak. Also, Villalobos should be playing every minute, preferably along side Zhao, when those two were on the field together FSUs attack was much more apparent. GV is also the most aggressive midfielder and good things happen when she is on the pitch. Again, hats off to Boston College, they outplayed FSU today.

Got Jukes? and sweepsit repped this.
  15. Got Jukes?

Got Jukes? Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    I think it's time to give CJ a shot in goal. We need to have high soccer IQ and clean hands as last line of defense. Defense does not look at all confident about sending ball back to BB.

16. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. McNulty, Wys and Miller all had their struggles as freshmen too. Yesterday our back line got flustered because they were not expecting BC to pressure high like they did. It was an excellent game plan and exposed our lack of cohesion in the midfield.

17. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    i watched eh game today. An athletic physical team was able to play kick and run, and pressure you in possession. BC exposed FSU lack of pace. Turf also played a part. the BC fwd , JB ran channles all day and they hit them often.

Winning on the road is not easy vs teams like that UNLESS the ref is pretty firm on physicality. This was not the case. UVA vs Clemson was a very similar game.

sweepsit and Crazyhorse repped this.
  18. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was annoying, every team tries a long ball from time to time, but BC was connecting on every single one, the timing of Bike's run on her game winning goal was a thing of beauty. Granted our midfield could not keep possession, at least not until Glory came on. Do you know if BC's field is regulation, it looked narrow, but that could of been the camera angle.

19. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    its small. I thought MB had a down game for her. Shes been awesome all year. They really bypassed your MF. Im still not happy with DC. Just not an influence in games. Plays some amazing passes and has great tools, but i need to see more consistency. Howell is ok, but imo shes not a CDM ..not a 6...more of an 8.

I just sense something is not right with FSU. cant put my finger on it

20. Got Jukes?

Got Jukes? Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Didn't know McNulty and I may agree with you on Wys who had her best season her Jr year, but must disagree about Miller. She had her strongest campaign her Freshman year playing every minute to a National Title, breaking all Freshman records at FSU as well as NCAA record of 19 shutouts in a season, second keeper to win a Natty without giving up a single goal in tournament. She was snuffed for deserved All ACC and an AA given to Sheridan of Clemson who wasn't close in numbers to Miller. BB is a great kid and a very good keeper but she has not shown well with bobbles and decision making. Lacking high soccer IQ, which I hope she will improve upon.

21. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations to Gabby Carle! She was named to Canada's Concacaf roster!

22. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    That was the best I've seen FSU look this year. Right from the start, they pushed ND into a very deep low block and kept them there. It could have been any score if the finishing had been a little more ruthless, but 4-0 pretty well reflected the imbalance between the teams.

23. Got Jukes?

Got Jukes? Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Now they need to bring that "best" against teams that can actually challenge them. ND NOT having a good season. May not make NCAA tourney.

24. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    True, but it's still not an easy place to go to and win. Travel there is not easy, and the grass is almost always too long (they do it on purpose against top opponents). Something curious (if not truly important) I learned about playing at ND: the hotels most visiting teams use are in the Central Time Zone, while the campus/field is Eastern. It's a small thing, but has caused problems in the past, as you might imagine.