2018 Fire Roster Speculation

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by willydonc, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Fingers crossed for the return of ice cream nachos!
    [​IMG]

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  2. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aiming high, aren't you?

Pennsylvania Dave and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  3. FireJuveChelsea

Dec 7, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well well well....we are linked with a big name....but it's not one you would expect....Leighton Baines apparently has an offer from both us and Philly. Now IF we went to a 3-5-2 and Baines played LB, I'd be okay with this and IF we have enough to buy down Katai and use TAM to get Baines and bring in a DP #10....or any combo of that. I don't think Baines comes for that cheap and in this league especially for this team using a DP spot on a defender isn't worth it.

Nice to see us starting to be linked with names though

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/06/2...es-ready-to-leave-everton-two-mls-sides-keen/

4. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Who the ******** is Leighton Baines?

5. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I feel we are linked to every big name thinking about coming to MLS, never actually getting them.

6. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    EPL (which sucks, btw) defender.
    Long time Everton player.
    Left back, good set piece ability.

Former English National Team defender.

Jiggly_333 and rooked repped this.
  7. FireJuveChelsea

Dec 7, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Reading some comments from their fans he's still pretty good too.....I just want to spend the money elsewhere

8. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Does this mean the Brandon Vincent era is over? Baines is not a big dude. I don't think he can slot into CB or the left midfield.

xtomx repped this.
  9. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Not a big dude?
    He is a "whopping" 1.7 meters.

Oh, wait, when translated from metric, that is 5'7"!

Damn metric scale.

He played in attack previously in his career.

He also holds the record for assists for a defender in the EPL (which sucks, btw).

Pennsylvania Dave, Gamecock14 and bunge repped this.
  10. goldclover

goldclover Member+

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Baines...meh

xtomx repped this.
  11. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big name?:confused: Maybe it's just me, but this is the first time I heard his name.

Y tu mama tambien repped this.
  12. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I will say that Kappelhoff and Baines anchoring the defense would make us 70% better on defense.

Baines-Campbell/Lillard-Kappelhoff-Polster is a pretty damned good MLS defense.

That would provide a lot of protection for the Crisco-fingered Sanchez.

chiladd and goldclover repped this.
  13. lurak

lurak Member+

Aug 24, 2007
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I've given up on rumors. The Fire are linked to everyone noteworthy coming to MLS because the league brass knows all about us angry bears and the lack of funding by the investor/operator of the Fire. I simply won't believe it until I see it.

The same can be said of Katai. I don't expect the Fire to extend the loan or buy. He will be gone, just as he is heating up. I can't believe that Pauno had him rooted to the bench early in the season. Anyone can see that he is way better than anyone else available to play in the midfield in his place.

Joe in CO, xtomx, chiladd and 2 others repped this.
  14. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matchday Starting XI
    MLS All-Star head coach, Gerardo “Tata” Martino (Atlanta United), will select the starting XI from the pool of eligible players determined by the media as well as the 2018 MLS All-Star Game Fan XI presented by Target and MLS Commissioner Don Garber’s two selections.

2018 MLS All-Star Game Fan XI presented by Target
    Player Club
    GK Brad Guzan Atlanta United
    D Laurent Ciman LAFC
    D Michael Parkhurst Atlanta United
    D Graham Zusi Sporting KC
    M Miguel Almirón Atlanta United
    M Ezequiel Barco Atlanta United
    M Darlington Nagbe Atlanta United
    M Diego Valeri Portland Timbers
    F Zlatan Ibrahimović LA Galaxy
    F Josef Martínez Atlanta United
    F Carlos Vela
    EA SPORTS "More Than a Vote" Winner LAFC

Does Tata pick anybody from our team?

15. FireJuveChelsea

Dec 7, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #1265 FireJuveChelsea, Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Really? He was considered one of the top 10 best LBs in the world a 4-5 years ago....Man U wanted him back then but I believe he decided to stay at Everton or they couldn't come to a deal..

xtomx and chiladd repped this.
  16. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you say so. I still haven't heard of he, until you mentioned him.

17. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's how mlssoccer.com has it.

Warshaw: How Tata Martino should fill out the 2018 MLS All-Star roster
    June 25, 20181:15PM EDT
    Bobby WarshawContributor

Now that the 2018 MLS All-Star Fan XI presented by Target is out, Atlanta United head coach Tata Martino needs to fill out the rest of his roster for the 2018 MLS All-Star Game presented by Target on Aug. 1 (7:30 pm ET | ESPN, UniMás, TSN, TVAS) as he will be coaching the team against Juventus.

He gets to pick 11 additional players to get the squad to 22, with Commissioner Don Garber making the last two selections.

I took a stab at who I think they should pick. I can tell you… choosing the best among the best is both an amazing and stressful task.

Goalkeeper
    Fan XI: Brad Guzan (ATL)
    [​IMG] Tim Melia (SKC)
    Melia gets the nod for two reasons. One, he deserves it: Sporting are currently tied for the lead league in goals against, and have only conceded five times in the last nine games. Two, even if others have a solid claim to it as well, Melia gets a bump for getting robbed after not making the All-Star team last year.
    My other GK contenders: Matt Turner (NE), Zack Steffen (CLB)
    Defenders
    Fan XI: Laurent Ciman (LAFC), Michael Parkhurst (ATL), Graham Zusi (SKC)
    [​IMG] Milton Valenzuela (CLB)
    It’s a down year for left backs, but Valenzuela has been a nice addition to MLS. The Argentine is part of a Crew SC defense that set a club record for shutout minutes, and he’s also contributed to the attack with 17 chances created, most among left backs in the league.
    [​IMG] Keegan Rosenberry (PHI)
    Right back was the toughest position to choose from. There isn’t much between Harrison Afful, Steven Beitashour and Rosenberry. Rosenberry has more passes per 90 than the others but less chances created, goals and assists. The tiebreaker goes to the fact that Rosenberry has played next to two teenagers, Auston Trusty and Mark McKenzie, and Philly’s defense has still performed within the top half of the league.
    My other right back contenders: Steven Beitashour (LAFC), Harrison Afful (CLB), Reggie Cannon (DAL)
    [​IMG] Aaron Long
    The Red Bulls have conceded just 16 goals this year, tied for the fewest in the league, and stifled high-powered offenses like NYCFC and Atlanta. And few teams’ playing style put as much stress on their center backs as the Red Bulls’. Long’s center back partner, Tim Parker, would be just as deserving, but Long has been slightly more consistent and can play either outside back position, an important bonus given the unpredictable nature of the game.
    [​IMG] Matt Hedges
    There hasn’t been a standout performer at center back this year similar to Ike Opara in 2017, but Hedges has been the best of the bunch. He’s anchored an FC Dallas team who have conceded the third-least amount of goals and are in Supporters’ Shield contention. Solid arguments could be made for Tim Parker, Auston Trusty or Lalas Abubakar, but they each have teammates in the squad already and I don’t want to put club coaches in a position in which they have multiple guys in similar positions getting extra minutes.
    My other center back contenders: Tim Parker (RBNY), Ike Opara (SKC), Matt Besler (SKC), Auston Trusty (PHI), Mark McKenzie (PHI), Lalas Abubakar (CLB)
    Midfielders
    Fan XI: Miguel Almiron (ATL), Darlington Nagbe (ATL), Ezequiel Barco (ATL), Diego Valeri (POR)
    [​IMG] Bastian Schweinsteiger
    The German World Cup winner doesn’t have many stats to his name, but his experience and versatility have held Chicago together this year. He’s played center back, defensive mid, attacking mid and helped the Fire morph between a 3-5-2 and 4-3-3. This isn’t an honorary selection for Schweinsteiger; he’s worked his butt off to keep the Fire in playoff contention.
    [​IMG] Diego Chara
    Perhaps the best way to acknowledge Chara’s contributions is that you can’t nail it down to any one thing. He covers the ground but also protects his defenders; he facilitates the game but also charges into the box. Chara has been crucial to Portland’s resurgence after a slow start, and any team would be better with him in it.
    My other d-mid contenders: Wil Trapp, Alex Ring, Artur, Roger Espinoza, Jonathan Osorio, Jeff Larentowicz
    [​IMG] Tyler Adams
    Adams has been the engine of a young Red Bulls team that is pushing for the top of the Supporters’ Shield standings. He probably deserves the selection on the merits of his performance, but he’s also the player U.S. national team fans would most like to see.
    [​IMG] Kaku
    There were questions early in the year about how well Kaku would be able to jive with the Red Bulls' system, but those questions seem to be answered. Kaku leads the league with 10 assists and has bagged three goals to go with it, while also contributing defensively to RBNY's high-intensity pressing.

My other attacking mid contenders: Maxi Moralez, Mauro Diaz, Sebastian Giovinco, Victor Vazquez, Diego Fagundez
    Forwards
    Fan XI: Carlos Vela (LAFC), Josef Martinez (ATL), Zlatan Ibrahimovic (LA)
    [​IMG] Bradley Wright-Phillips
    BWP leads the league with 16 total goals and assists. He’s not soaking up all the glory, either; the Red Bulls as a team are tied for the league lead in goals scored.
    My other contenders: Teal Bunbury, Gyasi Zardes, Danny Hoesen, David Villa

Ignacio Piatti
    Piatti got off to a scorching start before cooling off a bit lately. He’s still notched eight goals and six assists on the year, and he’s almost single-handedly dragged Montrealwithin touching distance of the playoffs. Perhaps more than anyone else on this list, Piatti gets the “Just, have you seen him play this year?” selection.

My Commissioner's Picks

Alphonso Davies
    With USA and Canada getting awarded the 2026 World Cup, I’d guess Garber will make a “torchbearer” pick for a domestic player likely to be at the tournament. Davies is the face of Canadian soccer moving forward and he’s been the best player on his MLS team so far this year. Plus, I’m still hyped over the speech he gave at the World Cup bid.
    My other contender: Tyler Adams

Federico Higuain
    I didn’t have Pipa on my original shortlist, but then I went through the numbers and saw a clear picture of his contributions. He’s tied for third in the league in assists, second in expected assists and first in chances created (by a large margin). Mauro Diaz (2G, 8A) and Giovinco (3G, 7A) would be the big competition for this spot, but Diaz hasn’t been first choice for Dallas at times this year and Toronto has struggled in MLS play; it doesn’t feel right putting either of them in the All Star team. Plus, in terms of sentimental value, I want to watch some Higuain-on-Higuain (brother Gonzalo plays for Juventus) tackles in midfield.
    My other contender: David Villa
    Toughest Omissions
    • David Villa: Because he’s David Villa and because he’s contributed eight goals and four assists to the second-best attack in the league. But if his name wasn’t David Villa, I wouldn’t pick him ahead of Tyler Adams this year.
    • Julian Gressel: Every All-Star team needs the guy who can fill in at multiple spots depending on minute restrictions on players, or if a player decides midgame he wants to play more or less. I was tempted to pick Gressel at right back – he’s been fantastic getting forward for the Five Stripes and offering pinpoint service to Josef Martinez – but there were too many other options. Still, Gressel deserves to make the team and offers the perfect utility player for an All-Star game. He can play right back, right wing, left wing, or center mid at a high level. Unfortunately, though, Atlanta fans already filled out their quota.
    • Alberth Elis: Elis has bagged a nice number of goals and assists (8G, 5A) and he may actually be more effective against Juventus than some of the other selections given his transition abilities, but someone has to miss the cut. The team already has four players who can play winger – Barco, Valeri, Piatti and Davies – and it says more about the quality of the position around the league than anything Elis has failed to do.

Bastian Schweinsteiger

goldclover repped this.
  18. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    [​IMG]

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  19. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm pretty sure player agents leak "rumors" about their former star players by looking up the three biggest cities in the US and picking 2 teams from those cities, then throwing in a smaller city's team for the optic of authenticity.

That's why we're linked to half of the older new players coming into the league and end up getting almost none of them

xtomx, lethargytartare, chiladd and 2 others repped this.
  20. FireJuveChelsea

Dec 7, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  21. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gamecock14 repped this.
  22. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gamecock14 repped this.
  23. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It truly is the NRod/Hauptman way to choose the cheaper option when the more "expensive" option is producing.

24. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My wife and I decided, no Katai signing (or I will accept a proven/better player to replace him), no season tickets next year.

NRod's desire to "rock the soccer world" or "f@ck the soccer world up" or whatever he said, is a complete detriment to this team. We continue to ditch proven, top-performing players for shots in the dark. Then, if that shot in the dark turns out to hit something good, i.e. Accam, Katai, etc., we immediately ditch them for the funny money required to take another shot in the dark.

This is what our lineup should look like today (when healthy):

-------------------------------Niko----------------------------------
    Accam---------------------Katai----------------------DeLeeuw
    ------------------------Dax------------Basti-----------------------
    Jones------------Campbell-------Kap-----------------Polster
    ----------------------------SeanJohn------------------------------

This line-up wins trophies. Apparently we have more than enough funny money to have made it happen.

Joe in CO, rooked, HerthaBerwyn and 6 others repped this.
  25. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    And you have a chance at depth ... if you spend money.