2018 FIFA World Cup thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    To their credit your officials aren't looking the other way. Plenty of countries aren't all that bothered to go after cheats. Still it's probably better to replace Lord Coe with someone that's willing to take a stronger stance against doping and that has an impeccable reputation. As the study from the article revealed (despite Lord Coe's reluctance to disseminate the info), i.e. the Tubingen paper, we greatly underestimate the true prevalence of doping. Spanish blood doping mastermind, dr. Fuentes, also confirmed doping was endemic, among footballers as well. Spain used to have a relatively modest history in cycling and almost overnight they became a dominant force. Hard to tell how much of an impact it has had in other sports (where the performance boost from doping is less than in cycling).

2. twasoffside

twasoffside New Member

Arsenal
    England
    Mar 7, 2018
    #127 twasoffside, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  3. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Hart's back in the West Ham team today. Not entirely sure how to feel about that, given the implications for his England position.

4. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I've not seen much of Newcastle live tbh but I see many Newcastle fans really bigging up jamaal Lascelles. A realistic dark horse as for a call up for the next Internationals and possibly a World Cup place?

5. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Took a while for me to turn on him but I think it goes without saying now that he absolutely should not be in the side. For me he'd be lucky to be 3rd choice.

6. 3LionsCoaching

Arsenal
    England
    Nov 16, 2017
    Might be a little premature on this, but is there any talk of places for England fans to meet up at the World Cup (besides the obvious like a match).. e.g. a bar in Moscow or StP etc..

I'll be sure to soak up all countries atmospheres but would like what I know too.

7. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Harry Kane off injured just now, looks nasty.

8. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    To reiterate...

Start counting.

Jenks repped this.
  9. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    And now it looks like Rose and Alli have gone off injured too. Hopefully nothing serious but just crazy with English injuries.

10. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Hart with another big mistake. Hope he isn't even in the squad, he simply doesn't deserve to be by any measure.

11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Maybe we won't even be going if some MP's get there way. :ninja:

12. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I can't see that happening. I'm sure even the Conservatives will recognise that in boycotting the World Cup by ourselves, we'd only be punishing ourselves - Russia wouldn't care, and FIFA would inevitably sanction the FA, possibly with a ban from future tournaments. An EU-wide or UEFA-wide boycott would obviously have an effect, but no foreign government is going to look on that as anything but a massive vote-loser.

Let's be honest: the government will pull some serious faces about this and there'll be an enquiry and all the rest, but nothing will really happen, any more than it did after Russia had Litvinenko murdered in London.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah I agree, we would just punish ourselves as no one else would follow our lead and what would we gain from it other than sticking two fingers up at Russia when they wouldn't care and nor would anyone else. I can imagine the amount of players we would lose to the rest of the Home Nations, Nigeria, Ghana etc if we can't offer International football until after 2022 if we were to be banned by FIFA.

ChristianSur repped this.
  14. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC

Could certainly be worse, right?

Marcho Gamgee, Jenks and hussar repped this.
  15. world soccer magazines

Oct 31, 2016
    Any slim hope England had of winning the World Cup has gone out the window with the spy controversy and the allegations lobbed at Russia. I don't see England being allowed to do well this summer. Should England be looking good, a word from Putin and co. and a few dodgy refereeing decisions will intervene. That might sound a little paranoid, but the quarter finals will be the best they can hope for, in my opinion.

16. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I can live with that...

17. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I would be happy just to get out of the group at this stage to be honest, that's how low we have dropped.

18. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Isn't it at least as much about performances? I mean, if we play as averagely as Portugal did at the Euros and win the tournament regardless, I won't complain, but really all I want is to feel a sense of excitement and possibility going into every game, rather than gnawing dread of some imminent embarrassment. I'd rather surprise people with our performances and then go out to a good side in the quarters than bore/fluke/scrape our way to the final, for sure.

19. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    IMO I'll be happy if we get out of the group, but a huge bonus will be the quarterfinals. I want to win a knockout game and feel that's asking a lot at this stage, but we'll see.

20. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    We will arrive on match day in the world cup and Southgate will have Livermore and Henderson in the starting lineup.
    No way do I trust the pleb to pick a decent team .

21. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Come now Sinner. I can understand your frustration, but if we're fully fit then Livermore probably won't be in the squad, however I'm certain he'll be on the plane if one or two are injured which will probably happen I have to say.

22. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I must say I'm pleased to see Lewis Cook in the senior squad. The 97's have been the first age group I've been aggressively following around and he's one of the first players I saw in 2013. Great accomplishment for him.

23. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #148 Marcho Gamgee, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    FA being the FA once again and just shows how out of touch they are! 86 quid for kids England replica shirt & shorts and NO shocks! Terrible!

24. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    You can get that combo for £60 from SportsDirect and the price to get equivalent items from the big clubs is roughly the same. They are very much in touch with the rip off prices that get charged for this kind of thing (and besides it's probably Nike who have more say in the prices).

25. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    I fail to see anything wrong with your FA's stance against full kit wankers.

ChristianSur repped this.