2018 FIFA World Cup thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, May 7, 2018.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Great job Belgium! England had a good run but clearly Belgium was the better team today. Not sure how much England cared about this third place medal though.

I can’t believe the World Cup is over. I thought I wouldn’t get into it but even though the USA and Italy weren’t playing , it was still an exciting tournament with many upsets. Most of all though, I’ve become quite fond of Kelly Smith. I think I’m going to miss her the most! Good job Kelly!

Back to watching our crappy Quakes!

2. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My favorite team was/is USMNT. Other than a bias for Japan, i was pretty much a third party observer.

Quakes05 repped this.
  3. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    My loyalties are equally split, USA/England. Last WC was more fun based on US being in it, watching them practice at Stanford, getting a great pic with Timmy, the viewing parties down at Hermosa Beach and Timmy's ridiculous 15 save heroics vs Belgium, brutal Wondo whiff not withstanding. This year really brought out my love for England, it was a fun run, proud of those guys.

sacrxy repped this.
  4. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Are any BigSoccer readers going to be at Avaya Sunday AM for the final? Merryl & I will probably attend.

tenfourteen repped this.
  5. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What were you more "proud" of from England, that they had an easier path to the finals than any team ever will again and blew it (ended up losing 3 games), or that until the meaningless third place game in which they were thoroughly outplayed they had fewer shots on target from open play per 90 minutes than *every other team at the World Cup * (pause for just a second and consider some of the awful teams in this tournament like Panama and Saudi Arabia) except Iran, with 6 total through their loss to Croatia... watching Harry Kane score penalty kicks against the likes of Panama and Tunisia, now that's what exciting soccer is all about! :thumbsup:

6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I plan on watching at the Croatian church. Colin has dragooned me into becoming a Croatia partisan. :)

falvo repped this.
  7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Uh, maybe he appreciates the fact they had their best run in 50 years and looked like they enjoyed playing for each other?

mjlee22 and Quakes05 repped this.
  8. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Harry Kane's penalties were outstanding, for sure, but anytime you make it to the final four you have to feel pretty good about that. I liked their performance against Sweden, winning a PK shootout against Colombia was, of course, massive. even the stoppage time winner against Tunisia, pretty exciting. so yeah, if your team ever makes it to the final four, I hope you feel great about that, you should.

mjlee22 and don gagliardi repped this.
  9. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Earthshaker repped this.
  10. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    FWIW I thought Croatia looked like the better team today. Oh well, France made the best of their chances. It happens in soccer. But Croatia didn't allow them to get their counter going like they had in previous games. Have to say, though, France's back line is very good, and the GK too except for that one horrible play.

mjlee22 repped this.
  11. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a good day to be French! This link is to a live stream by Guardian football. still going on...

falvo repped this.
  12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

1018633788191059970 is not a valid tweet id

1018654156322758656 is not a valid tweet id

13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Every time I read about an uncivilized city devolving into violence while celebrating a sports championship, I'm ever more proud to be from Buffalo -- where 25,000 people peacefully packed a civic square to cheer on their placekicker, who a day before missed a title-winning kick. "We Want Scott [Norwood]" they chanted, and when he came to the podium he told the assembled crowd, "I've never felt more loved."

athletics68 and Earthshaker repped this.
  14. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Apples and oranges. It's way too cold to riot in Buffalo in the winter. ;)

15. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, hard to rampage through 12' snow drifts.

16. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States