2018 FIFA WORLD CUP QUALIFIERS - CONCACAF [R]

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by fridge46, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Btw: is it just me, or have these games been a little bit more violent (or perhaps clumsy, given the level of defending) than expected? By my count, that's the third red card shown in this round, and we haven't even gotten to the return legs. :eek:

2. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    68' Bahamas 0-4 Bermuda

Guatemala better be prepared with this tricky team.......

3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It ended 0-5. Nobody in my prediction contest predicted Bermuda to win by more than 3.

4. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game may be ugly (score-wise). Within seconds of the opening kickoff, Belize had a great chance at goal and then, less than a minute later, a player was taken down in the box. However, the ensuing penalty was blocked, and the kicker ran up to it with pretty much an open net in front of him (other than the goalkeeper on the ground) and missed it. So, it's still 0-0 about 2-3 minutes in. Oh, there's yet another chance for Belize already. No goal though.

edcalvi repped this.
  6. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although the game has settled down a bit, Belize is still very much in control. However, they are still looking for that elusive first goal. It's about 20 minutes in.

7. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Belize just cannot find the back of the net, and their goalkeeper just made a nice save around the 60th minute on what I believe was the Cayman Islands' best opportunity of the match.

8. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    FT Belize 0-0 Cayman Islands

9. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice performance by the Cayman Islands. Nice performance by Belize, other than their finishing ...

The second leg should be interesting.

Thursday's schedule:

U.S. Virgin Islands-Barbados, 3:30 p.m. ET (1-0 after the first leg)
    Dominica-British Virgin Islands, 7 p.m. ET (this is the first leg)
    Turks and Caicos Islands-Saint Kitts and Nevis, 7 p.m. ET (2-6 after the first leg)

10. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #60 lovingthegreen, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    It appears that there will be a live stream for the U.S.V.I.-Barbados game, according to the Barbados FA.

It looks like you will need to create a free profile with LiveStream.com to watch this game if you don't have one already, but you can do so at that link and it appears pretty easy to do (I just created one myself).

Or, if you'd rather listen to a radio broadcast on Radio One AM 1000, you have that option too. (source)

11. Blastow

Blastow Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    US Virgins - Barbados 0-1 (Sargeant 4')

12. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Barbados made it quite interesting by scoring just a couple minutes into the game, tying the aggregate score at 1-1. They also appear to be in firm control of the game overall.

Video stream is working well (no commentary, just natural sounds); radio is not talking about the game at all.

This game has the atmosphere of a pick-up game. Not bad per se, but definitely different for a game of this magnitude (i.e. one of the biggest games that this country plays).

Oh, FYI - Barbados is yellow, while the U.S.V.I. is wearing blue kits.

13. Blastow

Blastow Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I love these games. When playing teams from exotic countries and around the field with palm trees and beautiful nature.

14. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, you couldn't ask much more from this game as far as the setting goes. It is a bit strange in that there are zero seats (or fans) viewable from the camera shot, but what you do see is pretty beautiful.

I also like watching these games because there are so few chances to watch teams like this (and to watch games in places like this). You can watch France, Brazil, Germany, etc., any time, but how often can you watch the U.S. Virgin Islands play a World Cup qualifier?

Oh, Barbados just scored to take a stranglehold on this match-up, up 2-1 on aggregate and with that important away-goal edge. It's around the 25th minute.

15. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And there's the nail in the coffin. 3-0 Barbados on the day and 3-1 on aggregate. 82nd minute.

Note on the British Virgin Islands-Dominica game coming up - although it is a home game for the B.V.I., it will be played in Dominica (as will the second leg - Dominica's official home game). This fact is important as, if the aggregate score ends up tied, today's game will be viewed as a B.V.I. home game as far as away goals go.

16. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It ended up 4-0, 4-1 on aggregate.

Here is the live video information for the next two games:

Unfortunately, no video for Turks and Caicos Islands-Saint Kitts and Nevis.

However, there will be live video for both Dominica-B.V.I. games (tonight and Sunday). Unfortunately, it will cost you $2.99 USD per game to watch.

17. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    St. Kitts and Nevis finished off Turks and Caicos Islands with another 6-2 win, while Dominica defeated the British Virgin Islands in the first leg of their match-up, 3-2.

One game on Friday: Curacao-Montserrat at 8 p.m. ET. It's the first leg of this match-up.

18. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...so then, if the BVI pull off the upset, they'd play both legs of the next series in Canada?

...and even then the CSA won't put one of those games in Vancouver. :D

19. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember the U.S. clinching a World Cup spot in Vancouver. (Just looked it up - Nov. 9, 1997 - the game was actually played at Swangard in suburban Burnaby.) However, I cannot recall Canada having played a qualifier in or near Vancouver since then. If they have, it has not been recent. (I don't get playing all of these games in Toronto; Canada is like the U.S. in that you have major metropolitan areas spread over thousands of miles. There is no need to have a "national stadium" in either of these countries, and doing so is counterproductive in my opinion.)

20. bartecky

bartecky Member

Jun 6, 2009
    New York, USA
    Club:
    KP Legia Warszawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Any info about Curacao - Montserrat stream?

21. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada qualifiers for World Cup 2002 or later outside Toronto:

On June 11, 2000, Canada hosted Cuba in Winnipeg and it was a scoreless draw.
    On July 16, 2000, Trinidad and Tobago won at Edmonton.
    On October 9, 2000, Canada beat Panama in Winnipeg.
    On June 13, 2004 and June 16, 2004, Canada beat Belize 4-0 with both legs in Kingston.
    On August 18, 2004, Canada lost to Guatemala in Vancouver.
    On September 4, 2004, Canada and Honduras played a draw in Edmonton.
    On October 13, 2004, Canada lost to Costa Rica in Vancouver.
    On June 20, 2008, Canada beat St. Vincent and the Grenadines in Montreal.
    On September 6, 2008, Canada lost to Honduras in Montreal.
    On October 15, 2008, Canada and Mexico played a draw in Edmonton.

It wasn't until qualifying for World Cup 2014 that Canada played all their home games in Toronto.

22. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it's because Canada are snake-bit in Vancouver - got it. :thumbsup:
    I'd be pleasantly surprised if there's any. To this day I can't even find highlights of Haiti's and Antigua and Barbuda's games down there in the last World Cup cycle.

23. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This took some research, but it appears that if you are willing to spend some money, you can have access to a stream.

According to a local newspaper, it will be broadcast on a local television station, and you can subscribe to a stream of that station. However, it appears that doing so will cost $59. Not sure if that is USD.

Thanks for the specifics. So, it's been 11 years since they have played competitively in Vancouver, and they have focused on Toronto for a few years now.

24. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to RSSSF, Montserrat is 0-7-0 all-time in World Cup qualifiers, and all seven losses have come by at least two goals. Unfortunately, I do not see that losing streak ending this year, and they are already down, 1-0, in the 20th minute tonight.

25. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    However, I may be mistaken! (This is why I never bet on sports ...)

Montserrat scored in the 24th minute to tie the game, which is about 30 minutes old.