2018 FIFA WORLD CUP QUALIFIERS - CONCACAF [R]

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by fridge46, Jan 15, 2015.

1. ioppolo

ioppolo Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Perth, Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Well well well.

Good on them :thumbsup:

2. PaulieJay

PaulieJay Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Iowa, United States
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's March, right? Looks like we've got Cinderella alive and well in the soccer universe! Hopefully this all points to a very competitive cycle with lots of surprises. I know Barbados made it to the last 12 back in the 2002 cycle and even stunned Costa Rica in their opener. The winner here gets Aruba, so obviously one of them will go through to the third round. Hopefully there's a couple minnows who make their way through because you just know US will get stuck with Honduras in their 4th round group when they are "announced".

3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 4th round groups will be made at the official draw on July 25. I don't think they will be rigged. As for hoping for a minnow, last time was the first time Antigua and Barbuda reached the Semifinals and the USA needed a 90th minute goal to win at Antigua and Barbuda.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/y...tlight-as-concacaf-gets-underway-2569663.html is titled "US Virgin Islands grab spotlight as CONCACAF gets underway."

4. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Four goals already this evening. Nicaragua leads Anguilla, 2-0, after 12th- and 23rd-minute goals. Meanwhile, St. Kitts and Nevis and Turks and Caicos Islands are 1-1 after the hosts (SK&N) scored in the 18th minute, and the visitors tied it four minutes later. About 25 minutes have been played in both games.

5. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think I'm ready for a world in which the USVI and Turks and Caicos Islands can put up a fight. What's next, French Guiana in the Gold Cup?! :p

6. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    #31 dinamo_zagreb, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
    SKN also missed penalty in 12th minute and are a man down after red card for Howe. Nicaragua 3-0.

SKN lead 2-1 with 4-0 in Managua.

3-1 in Basseterre, two goals in last five mins of first half. Seems like an entertaining match, shame we can't watch it.

7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I searched for St. Kitts and Nevis on YouTube and found a link to http://edigitalplace.tv/FOOTBALL1/join.html which you have to pay for. I don't know if it's legal, if it's reliable, or what games they have. It costs $4.95 for a 3 day trial and then $45 per year (which if it has many games you want is reasonable and much cheaper than Fox Soccer Plus and Fox Soccer2Go).

Anguilla has no chance at advancing. St. Kitts and Nevis did better while down a man. I'd give Turks and Caicos Islands some chance at advancing if they lose by 2 goals or fewer considering they will have at least 1 away goal (which may or may not matter but I'm expecting away goals to matter) and the ejected player, Mudassa Howe, will be suspended for the second leg. I predicted Nicaragua and St. Kitts and Nevis to both win 4-0.

8. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #33 lovingthegreen, Mar 23, 2015
    Unfortunately, it's not looking good for T&CI as they gave two goals after going a man up (red card issued to SK&N in the 27th minute, followed by goals in the 42nd and 45th minutes; oh, and SK&N also had a prime opportunity in the 12th minute when they failed to convert a penalty). St. Kitts and Nevis leads, 3-1, at the half.

Meanwhile, Nicaragua is pulling away as well as they are up, 4-0, on Anguilla at the half. Tough draw for Anguilla as there were plenty of easier opponents that they could have been paired with.

9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #34 EvanJ, Mar 23, 2015
  10. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should have checked the Turks and Caicos Islands Facebook page sooner as they posted a link to live video of their game.

11. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome - I got to actually watch that goal! Another score for Saint Kitts and Nevis, who are now up, 4-1, in the 68th minute. It's kind of incredible how much control they have over this game, considering that they have been a man down for a quite a while now.

Nicaragua's up, 5-0, in the 72nd minute.

12. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I spoke too soon! Turks and Caicos Islands just scored, cutting their deficit to 4-2. I still don't think they have a shot, but if they can play much better at home, a 2-0 win would send them through (assuming 4-2 ends up being the final score tonight).

13. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game is like a basketball game, "end-to-end play," as the announcer just said. It almost feels like we are going to see two or three more goals - not sure who is going to score them, however.

14. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, there were in fact two more goals, both for Saint Kitts and Nevis, who won, 6-2; they should have no problem now moving on to the next round (remember that they scored five of those goals shorthanded).

Also, Nicaragua took a stranglehold on their series with Anguilla, winning, 5-0.

15. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Final Scores:

Nicaragua 5-0 Anguilla
    St. Kitts and Nevis 6-2 Turks and Caicos Islands (FIFA is missing 1 goal scorer for each team)

It was the 18th game for Turks and Caicos Islands and 2 is tied for the most goals they have ever scored. They played their first game in 1999.

Edit: Orlando Mitchum scored 3 goals for St. Kitts and Nevis. Turks and Caicos Islands' second goal was an own goal.

16. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    St. Kitts and Nevis got some love as well. :D

18. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, after I made my previous post.

Tonight there's Bahamas-Bermuda at 7:30 P.M. and Belize-Cayman Islands at 10:00 P.M.

19. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
  20. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    After the two games won by Bhutan, Anguilla will stay in the basement for long time :thumbsdown:

21. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    #46 dinamo_zagreb, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    Aaaaaand it's 0-1 in Nassau. 5 mins gone.

0-2 after a penalty, 15th minute. Bermuda cruising, they can start preparing for Guatemala trip.

0-3 after 30. :cool:

22. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing there's no media coverage of this game? I can't find any online, not even radio coverage.

Nice showing by Bermuda so far. Did not expect them to perform quite this well tonight.

23. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Couldn't find anything, following it via facebook. :D

24. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Their lack of participation in the Caribbean Cup makes them hard to track, but they punched well above their weight in the last round of WCQ. They finished third behind Guyana and Trinidad and Tobago (shocking the latter with a 2-1 win), but were the only third-place team to reach 10 points from that cycle's first group stage.

25. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder why they haven't played in that competition that often. They seem like they are good enough to perhaps sneak into a Gold Cup.

By the way, things went from bad to worse for the Bahamas after Happy Hall received a red card in the 42nd minute. I'm guessing that Bermuda is going to keep going for the kill in the second half and really ensure that there is no uncertainty who will advance from this match-up once this evening is over.