Pre-match: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualification: USA vs Costa Rica

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Aug 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Chandler's reputation for me is more about how he's a gigantic flake that clearly only committed to the US when promised a WC roster spot, threw a tantrum when he didn't get on the field in Brazil while on the sideline in Brazil, and has consistently found miscellaneous reasons not to show up for camps and games.

2. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Zardes... what a joke.

3. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't even lie, I'm in disbelief that we have posters arguing that Zardes should start as an 8 or a 10 in a three man central midfield for the USMNT. Complete shock.

Deadtigers, big_pole57 and rgli13 repped this.
  4. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Poster. Singular.

Deadtigers, gunnerfan7, mbar and 3 others repped this.
  5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Let's see if Siggy wakes up and plays Zardes in mid against Columbus mid week

Let's face it, Galaxy are like Churchill's pudding at this point - no theme. I can't come up with a lineup but they need to pull Zardes out of the forward line. Arena didn't play him there.

Deadtigers repped this.
  6. Cynical US fan

United States
    Mar 30, 2017
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NBC Sports via Yahoo Sports 4 days ago reported that Johnson didn't train last Friday and didn't play on the weekend because of an "unspecified injury." There's no report of him training this week on google or gladbach's website?! Where do you get your info?

7. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    We will never win a World Cup with coaches like Arena and players like Zardes.

Deadtigers repped this.
  8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Changing coaches and one player won't change whether we win either. We won't win until we have 20 or so players that are comparable to the other top 3-5 teams. Until then no coach would make that big of a difference. One player won't either. Even Argentina with maybe the best player ever can't win it all and their roster is a lot better than ours top to bottom.

9. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    I thought I saw that but I might have effed it up. Anyway, I wouldn't rule him out just yet.

10. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    there are thousands of better players than Zardes in this country, thousands.

Deadtigers repped this.
  11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Offensively? Maybe. In pro ball you have to play two ways and Zardes plays tough defense. He also has a very good motor and can play hard for 90 minutes. I know that watching him he can show that 50/50 bad touch and some other goofy stuff but no there really aren't 1000 better players than him. I watched both of my sons play in Dallas leagues where thare are plenty of skillfull Hispanic players. I saw some of them get signed to HG deals with FC Dallas. I've seen others get signed to deals with LA. They don't get the time and space in the pro's they did as kids and most of them don't make up for it by improving their two way game. If they are absolutely exceptional offensively maybe they get away with it. Not many of those guys. Certainly not 1000's.

Deadtigers, Bajoro, Dignan and 1 other person repped this.
  12. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    My 23 for these WCQs:

GK - Howard, Guzan, Horvath/Hamid
    D - Yedlin, Villafana, Lichaj, Morrow, Besler, Cameron, Gonzalez, Miazga
    M - Pulisic, Nagbe, Bradley, Johnson, Acosta, McCarty, Zardes, Arriola
    F - Altidore, Wood, Dempsey, Morris

Notes:
    -The CR game is a FIFA international date (obviously) and in the northeast/an easy flight from Europe, so I'm calling in Horvath as the #3 as it's probably the only chance Bruce is going to have to get a look at him before spring. After the CR game send him back to Belgium so he can use the rest of the break to get over jet lag and bring Hamid to Honduras

-If Yedlin can't go, Bedoya takes his place and Johnson slides back to RB

-Hedges, Morrow, Roldan, Bedoya, and Sapong on call for Honduras if we lose a guy to card suspension

edcrocker and largegarlic repped this.
  13. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    This might be the most ridiculous post in the history of this board

orcrist, TarHeels17, onefineesq and 9 others repped this.
  14. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    He may end up being a useful right back, he is def not national team material, def not an attacking player for this level.

Until we get rid of this crazy idea that we can win something relevant with hard work, we will be a joke.

Deadtigers repped this.
  15. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we can get two wins and basically be done with it, but you are probably right, CR will be hard, while Honduras in theory shouyld be more beatable.

Try and stop us.

16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably not even close. One poster thinks Zardes should start in midfield for the US national team and and another thinks he's terrible. Very polarizing player. Funny thing is I see both sides while agreeing with neither. I'm sure we can all agree that while he's supposedly a great guy and plays hard we'd like to upgrade the whole team. Sure hope this next wave of youth isn't more fools gold so four years from now we aren't arguing over the next cycle's Zardes.

Deadtigers repped this.
  17. Cynical US fan

United States
    Mar 30, 2017
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unlikely we'll see Yedlin, Johnson or Gonzalez 9/1.
    Lichaj was on the bench for Forest's first 4 matches. Even if he's truly called in, and Bedoya is included, that makes 21.

Deadtigers repped this.
  18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt you can see either side of the assertions that he should start in CM or there are literally thousands of better Americans than him right now, just understand that opinions on him range from general satisfaction to dissatisfaction.

Deadtigers repped this.
  19. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hoping Lichaj and Chandler are the two RBs considered, not Zusi. However, I can see Zusi starting in Honduras as the "we don't really have to win this but we don't want to implode" match.

Very concerned about the LB position going forward, but Villafana should be fine. CBs should be Cameron, Belser and Tim Ream.

Really, I don't see an issue with any other positions. We're (relatively) healthy in the midfield and forward line, but the back has two-three major injuries Bruce will have to manage around.

20. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know how bad Fab's injury is?

21. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you make such asinine comment it just shreds ANY bit of credibility you may have.

Geneva, Ironbound and tomásbernal repped this.
  22. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roldan seems a legitimate candidate for a callup from Arena:

He has done quite well with Seattle since returning from the GC.

edcrocker repped this.
  23. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Of course I have to exaggerate a little to make a point.

I used the Luis Silva case as an example, Silva obviously a better player with less minutes played has 2 goals and 2 assist this season.

Zardes has 0 goals and 1 assist.

I am sure there are other attacking players with better numbers, but they are not "hard workers" and they don't "fit" the style.

The crazy bs our mediocre fans have accepted, it's been the same dumb idea for the las 30 years.

Deadtigers repped this.
  24. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We are not going to win much of anything as long as people consider a guy like Gyasi Zardes a professional footballer.

The guy grew on me a bit under JK, but then again he was one of the few guys still really trying, the rest were either disinterested, confused about their role, or being tasked with jobs they were not suited for. I will be glad for the day when Zardes types can't get a cup of coffee with the National Team. We need skilled players who work hard.

Deadtigers repped this.
  25. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Believe me, wanting Zardes as an starter is worse.

Deadtigers repped this.